PDA

View Full Version : cig lighter and cd changer issues

the_priest
1st November 2013, 02:24 AM
Hello, newbie here from the UK

i recently bought a 1999 2.8TD manual GR, did only about 100 miles on it. Obviously the car has minor issues.

the first one is that cig lighter is not working (power socket in the trunk also does not work). If i read the electric schema correctly the cig lihgter has a fuse with number 13 that is fine. The power socket has two fuses numbers 9 and 46. 46 is dead and i have already ordered it. But again if i understand things correctly 46 has nothing to do with the cig lighter. so what are the next steps to trouble shoot the issue?

The second issue i feel a bit stupid about: how do i eject the cd changer magazine?

thanks in advance

Woof
1st November 2013, 08:13 PM
Hey mate, just go over to the introduction section and post up an intro, always a nice thing to do before asking for any assistance.

the_priest
1st November 2013, 10:27 PM
indeed, sorry about that. just done it

04OFF
1st November 2013, 10:41 PM
See if you have power at the plug/wire that goes on to the back of the cig lighter housing, this will tell you if its a supply problem, or as i suspect , a problem with the housing itself (overheated), you should be able to reach in behind the console and pull the plug off , or probe in place with a 12V test light (or multimeter)

Have no idea what CD changer came in a pootrol, let alone a pommy version, but after you open the slide door to expose the mag, is there not a eject button inside ? (may be black and so not very obvious)

the_priest
1st November 2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the response

i have not got a multimeter, ordered one on ebay, will check once it arrives.

As for the changer - i can't even eject the magazine. Here how it looks:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/1.png

i tried pressing the "button" which i marked in a red rectangle but nothing happens. Is it the right one? The changer is Clarion

cheers

Evo
2nd November 2013, 12:15 AM
Hi,

Have you tried pressing the magazine to see if it is the spring loaded type?

Evo

the_priest
2nd November 2013, 12:35 AM
Hi Evo,

yes, i tried that

04OFF
2nd November 2013, 12:40 AM
Yep thats the right button, just the top of it has come/broken off , normally the stackers do not require the head unit to be on to allow you to eject the disc cartridge, so i suspect the stacker has no power, or more likley ,has just crapped itself.

The stacker box should have a connecting plug about 6 inches along the main cable , if you follow it back from the stacker, you can un plug it , and test for power, you may need to remove some of the cars trim to expose the cable.

Some stackers have seperate RCA audio cables as well (red and white terminals) but the thicker cable carries the power.

If you are confident the stacker is buggered, you can normally get the cartridge out manually as follows....

Your photo shows the stacker the correct way up as per my description , top is top of pic.

You need a 5-6 inch bit if thin steel or stiff plastic, only about credit card thickness, i normally use a radio bracket ( a long metal bracket with holes in, that you attach at the back car stereo to hold it steady, or sometime used with car antennas)

You push your thin bit of metal between the bottom of the plastic disc cartridge, and the silver metal chassis that surrounds it, start just left of centre, and plunge in slowly, to around the depth of the cartridge, raise about 3 inches , then slide over to the right a little (width of your bit of metal prodder) and slowly plunge again, repeat , each time moving to the right a little.

Eventually you will should feel the cartridge pop with a click, and as you withdraw your bit of metal, the cartridge should come out enough to grab with your fingers.

threedogs
2nd November 2013, 08:22 AM
That looks like a detatchable head unit ,is there something to press to RHS

my third 256
2nd November 2013, 08:27 AM
looks like someone has had a go at prizing it out from the marks on the bottom

happygu
2nd November 2013, 09:50 AM
I would think that the cigarette lighter problem and CD problem could be the same problem - IE : Lack of Power

I would wait till you get the mulimeter, and then check the incoming power leads for both the CD unit and the Lighter socket, before doing anything else.

Mic

the_priest
4th November 2013, 09:12 PM
thanks for the replies

i am not sure how to disassemble the lighter socket but i will try google - should be smth online