PDA

View Full Version : Which aux battery to choose?

Winnie
29th October 2013, 09:20 PM
Hello all,

Going to be installing my dual battery kit next weekend but have hit a wall..... which type of battery to get. I was looking at AGM batteries then read that they are no good with the heat under bonnet, even if I were to install a heat shield which I am more than happy to do.
I do want a deep cycle type battery, it will be used to run my 40L Engel, a few LED lights, UHF, stereo occasionally, etc. It will be controlled by a Redarc isolator.
Any suggestions of a particular battery? I just don't know now!

MEGOMONSTER
29th October 2013, 09:34 PM
I have a Century 4wd Ultra high Performance battery as my secondary battery and runs my fridge non stop on zero degrees, runs all my roof spotties and UHF.
I believe Autobarn have them on special at the moment.

Winnie
29th October 2013, 10:39 PM
Now I'm looking between the Supercharge Allrounder and the Century marine battery.... both very similar specs. Supercharge is 760CCA and 105Ah while the Century is 720CCA and 100Ah but is only $185 at BCF at the moment. Will find out how much the Allrounder is tomorrow.

megatexture
29th October 2013, 10:44 PM
I've got a century marine on the camper... I think its about 3 years old now
Check out these guys I've used them 3 times now and they were great.http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au/

Edit: I think it was like 40-50$ postage to brisbane.

gaddy
29th October 2013, 11:04 PM
Now I'm looking between the Supercharge Allrounder and the Century marine battery.... both very similar specs. Supercharge is 760CCA and 105Ah while the Century is 720CCA and 100Ah but is only $185 at BCF at the moment. Will find out how much the Allrounder is tomorrow.

I run 2 century marines in the boat coming up 7 years on both . When the boat is in the shed I plug them into a multi stage charger . They also get used in the camper . Most will last if maintained correctly . The patrol has a pair of the 4wd version . Witch im pretty sure is the same battery different lable as both have cushioned plates .

Cuppa
30th October 2013, 07:38 AM
Vibration is a real battery killer so getting one designed for off road conditions is wise. If not going with AGM, make sure to keep a reguar check on battery fluid levels. And like Gaddy does, stick it on a multi stage charger as often as possible (before & after each trip away) to make it last.

Maxhead
30th October 2013, 07:50 AM

Hey Chrisso, I used to run the Supercharge allrounders before and they were great but my battery shop has advised me away from them now as they aren't as good as they used to be(not sure how true that is). I now run fullriver agm's

Winnie
30th October 2013, 07:51 AM
I now run fullriver agm's

Under the bonnet? How long have you had them for and do they seem to cope with the heat?

Maxhead
30th October 2013, 07:58 AM
Under the bonnet? How long have you had them for and do they seem to cope with the heat?

One in the truck and in two in the caravan...Only around 12 months in the car so don't really know the longevity but seem to be coping well with all the crap I run off it :)

Winnie
30th October 2013, 08:00 AM
Now I'm undecided again............................................. ............. screw you!

Bloodyaussie
30th October 2013, 08:01 AM
I to am interested in this as my aux battery is starting to go flat very quickly but I need a small bugger...

Maxhead
30th October 2013, 08:05 AM
Now I'm undecided again............................................. ............. screw you!
Find a small battery business who is not connected with the big guys and talk to them...they will point you in the right direction hopefully without being influenced by their suppliers

Winnie
30th October 2013, 08:12 AM
Only battery shop here is supercharge unfortunately. The ARB uses Century but they're are way too dear there.

threedogs
30th October 2013, 08:13 AM
I run a wet cell 115 AH deep cycle Trojan with a water kit.
These are the same battery they use in Bass straight on the navigation buoys.
Keep the water up and you"ll have plenty of power for a long time. Not a messy battery. IMO
My battery is 3 yrs old and still going strong, will probable change after this summer not that theres anything wrong with it, but will change before it fails

If you have high under bonnet temps talk to your battery bloke, they will explode

AB
30th October 2013, 08:33 AM
Winnie, if you do not have a heat shield on your turbo then go the marine mate.....100%

Cuppa
30th October 2013, 08:38 AM
Ask Alco (http://www.alcobatt.com.au) for advice & delivered prices. I have found them very helpful in the past & generally with pretty reasonable prices. They have branches in several states.

threedogs
30th October 2013, 08:42 AM
I have an Alco outlet nearby so BA If you find what battery you want give me a bell

gaddy
30th October 2013, 09:12 AM
I like a wet cell . Easy to maintain keep the water level up and use a hydrometer to test . I reckon a nice slow charge works best as it will desalphate the plates after heavy use , you will actually see bubbles in each cell . Also if using a VSR plug the battery into mains charger regularly as the VSR will never fully charge it and the battery will develop a memory . I reckon thats why I get such good battery life .

threedogs
30th October 2013, 09:16 AM
Get a bit more bang for your buck with wet cells as well

happygu
30th October 2013, 10:44 AM
Optima .....

Works for me, and had them as an auxiliary battery for years

Mic

TimE
30th October 2013, 11:05 AM
One in the truck and in two in the caravan...Only around 12 months in the car so don't really know the longevity but seem to be coping well with all the crap I run off it :)

I've run a Fullriver 100ah AGM under the bonnet for the past 5 1/2 years (about 70,000ks in that time) and a Fullriver 105 ah in the back of the wagon for the second 38l fridge/freezer for a year. They are "topped up" on a regular basis (put the charger on at least once per fortnight for a day or so) and have had no issues that are obvious to me. I have had the under bonnet battery run a 50l Waeco for 4 days (in low 20s temps) without running the truck, pretty happy with that.

As a point of interest the under bonnet battery tray I use is from ARB, it partially shields the battery from engine heat, but still it can get pretty hot under there.

liftlid
30th October 2013, 11:12 AM
Optima .....

Works for me, and had them as an auxiliary battery for years

Mic

I use these as well and the shortest life I have got out of one of these is 8 years.
I winch off it as well

Winnie
30th October 2013, 05:05 PM
Well would you believe it, the guy from Supercharge came into my work today to buy some stuff for himself, so now we've got a "you look after me, I look after you" type thing going on.
I went in there yesterday arvo and asked about AGM batteries and the bloke quoted me $280 but he gave me the wrong part number, when I came home to find the Amptech D70Z for almost $100 less from other suppliers and that it was not even an AGM battery I was a bit annoyed.
The bloke I spoke to today told me the other guy just stuffed up and gave me the wrong model number and the price is right for the AGM battery. But he recommended to me the D70Z over the Allrounder. Normal price is $200 so tomorrow we are going to double check to make sure it will fit in the battery tray.

Drewboyaus
30th October 2013, 10:08 PM
What type of Redarc are you using Winnie?
I have a recollection from when I did mine that if not using a dc-dc charger on the second battery it may not charge properly.....some battery types require more to charge than what the alternator puts out.
Can't fully recall though.

Winnie
1st November 2013, 06:28 AM
Quick question guys and did not want to start a new thread. Where do you run the earth for your 2nd battery to? Back to the cranker?

Drewboyaus
1st November 2013, 07:50 AM
To the engine block, as I remember. Same as the cranking battery.

Winnie
1st November 2013, 07:53 AM
Would I also need to run to the body?

Drewboyaus
1st November 2013, 08:39 AM
No. The engine is the best earth in the car.

Bloodyaussie
1st November 2013, 08:45 AM
Mine runs to the chassis but I also run extra leads from the engine to the body...

threedogs
1st November 2013, 08:49 AM
Any extra earth strap wont do any harm whats so ever.
Different sections of body have an earth strap
The battery number will tell you what case size your battery is/
D70Z is that right I'll make a call if you like

mudski
1st November 2013, 09:22 AM
Winnie I run a MF95D31R Supercharge as my cranker and run a D70ZZ Deep cycle as my aux battery. The deep cycle has run my fridge and light for four days and not an issue...

threedogs
1st November 2013, 09:29 AM
@ Mudski,,,,,,,,,,,,How many amp hours is your battery , depends what Winnie runs/conditions will determine how long the battery lasts

liftlid
1st November 2013, 09:30 AM
Quick question guys and did not want to start a new thread. Where do you run the earth for your 2nd battery to? Back to the cranker?

Run neg back to main batt , less chance of loose connection

mudski
1st November 2013, 07:41 PM
105AH John...

Winnie
1st November 2013, 08:07 PM
I bought the amp tech d70z. Gotta get a few small bits tomorrow and I can wire it up

threedogs
1st November 2013, 09:28 PM
What size case does that battery use, Is your 2nd battery tray nice and sturdy.
Seen plenty of GQ over the years with loose battery trays and the need for
some rubber on top so it doesn't short on bonnet
I'm sure yours is sorted

Winnie
1st November 2013, 09:37 PM
Standard size, 304x174x200
Of course the tray is sturdy haha, they would not have given it to me if it weren't! Only thing with the ARB tray was that the bolts that are used to clamp the battery down were way too long and needed cutting down or else I would have had two nice holes in the bonnet.

mudski
2nd November 2013, 11:22 AM
I bought the amp tech d70z. Gotta get a few small bits tomorrow and I can wire it up
Same as mine poo. I like having the bolt terminals these batteries too for the accessories to hang on to...

threedogs
2nd November 2013, 12:04 PM
Not sure of ARB mounting system but I would probably use nylocs , where possible
and penny washers or mudguard washers to spread the load over a larger area.
last thing you want is 2nd battery shaking loose out woop woop

Lionel84
5th November 2013, 04:02 PM
I went to Battery World and said gimme the best. He showed me a few, so I got a Century Deep Cycle as my second. I can't remember what it cost me, but it was well priced I thought!
At the moment it's only running the winch and as a backup, but I will put some more stuff onto it in months to come, when I get the time :)