PDA

View Full Version : Stepping into the light

fat paddy
18th January 2011, 02:52 PM
Hello everybody,
My name is Paul aka Fat Paddy.
I am onto my second GU.
I originally bought a 2000 model 3.0 but upgraded in 2003 to leave a few of the teething problems behind.
I was a member of the Albury Wodonga 4WD Club but due to time constraints have let that one slip.
My current GU is a 3.0 litre. The only engine mods are a D-tronic and a catch can collecting the oil off the PCV. The car also has a front air locker, 2 inch Old Man Emu lift, BGF muddies, custom camping lights out back, upgraded rear light array, UHF, GPS, Pioneer DVD, reversing camera, electric brakes for camping trailer, dual battery.
I have a wife and 4 children which means that half the third row gets filled which equates to no cargo barrier (that came out with the birth of number 4 and now sits in the shed collecting dust - cargo barrier that is, not the forth child). This presented a problem for the safety of all and the issue of how to fit a drawer system with fridge slide for the Bushman. There where no commercial half cargo barriers or drawer systems at the time so I made up my own lockable single drawer on roller bearings with a tilting fridge slide on top (for the shorter people in my family) and a cage to go around the lot to make it safe. The cage goes from the top of the drawer to the ceilling and is anchored to the floor and to the regular cargo barrier ceilling mounting points. It runs along side the 3rd row passenger and then takes a 90 degree left turn to end up behind the seat of the left 2nd row passenger. There is a shelf above the fridge for hats/pillows and other light stuff.
There you go thats the brief run down. I also have a Cavalier off road camper trailer but that's another story.
My only concern is the "grenade" factor of the motor. The car has 78000kms on the clock and lives a very lazzy life in the garage.
Cheers,
FP

AB
18th January 2011, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the forum FP, great intro mate!

After all that would love to see some photos if you get a chance.

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Bob
18th January 2011, 03:19 PM
Great introduction Paul. Welcome and I hope you enjoy you stay here.

DX grunt
18th January 2011, 03:54 PM
G'day Paul.

Welcome to the forum.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Woof
18th January 2011, 05:26 PM
Welcome Paul, enjoy the forum mate

YNOT
18th January 2011, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the forum Paul, like the other guys I'd really like to see some photos of your car and storage system.

Check this thread for info on the grenade factor! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?479-3.0lt-GU-Patrols-Grenade-Facts&highlight=grenade

Tony

Maxhead
18th January 2011, 07:45 PM
Nicely put Paul, welcome mate

Sir Roofy
18th January 2011, 09:06 PM
Welcome aboard mate

fat paddy
18th January 2011, 09:26 PM
Ok, hopefully the image is above. This is the sigle drawer I made from a design I pulled off the web. As you can see it comes out most of the way and can hold some considerable weight.
Great models eh!

Sir Roofy
18th January 2011, 09:33 PM
Very well put together and neat job

fat paddy
18th January 2011, 09:35 PM
Note the gate catch to lock the fridge down in the horizontal position. It is activated by some kite string I had guided through some radio model aircraft fittings to the rear of the draw system where it is attached by a pull on the red plastic servo part (once again a spare radio model aircraft part).
The top bracket is profiles to the roof line to maximise the head room for the 3rd row passenger when they get in and out.
The photo from the front shows how tight a squeeze it is. The drawers and barrier come up to the back of the 2nd row seat but do not touch it. The barrier also acts as an anchor for the supplement "H" harness for the middle passenger who would otherwise get only a lap belt -> much safer.

Sir Roofy
18th January 2011, 09:46 PM
Its a well thought out design and the h harness is excellent idea

AB
18th January 2011, 09:46 PM
Nice job mate and great use of space!

Woof
18th January 2011, 09:55 PM
Great job there FP, why don't you start up a Thread here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?43-Members-Rides so all of your photos and info on your Patrol can be in one place, not everyone reads this section.

fat paddy
18th January 2011, 10:18 PM
AB, your aviator reminds me of how I felt when I welded the mesh to the steel frame and kept blowing through. Read experience = farm welding as a boy 101!!!

wildgu6
18th January 2011, 10:26 PM
Welcome aboard the Trol express Paul,
Great bunch of people with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Nice intro buddy, sounds like a nice rig you have there and love the set up mate. :clapping:
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Good luck, Welcome aboard and Enjoy the ride.
Hope you have a great 2011.
Happy trekin buddy, stay safe

Cheers Pete

Dhuck
18th January 2011, 10:59 PM
Welcome to he forum

Dark 1
18th January 2011, 11:04 PM
Another Gu in the mix, Woohoo!!!
Welcome along mate.

Clunk
18th January 2011, 11:32 PM
welcome Fat paddy, nice work by the way, excellent idea for utilising the space.

Finly Owner
18th January 2011, 11:42 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House FatPaddy aka Paul. Nice storage system.

Tim

mackayboi
20th January 2011, 10:51 AM
How is the reverse mirror visibility with this in place?

fat paddy
24th January 2011, 01:48 PM
Although somewhat obstructed I can still see vehicles behind me on the road. When backing say to hook up a trailer I use the side mirrors and there is always the reversing camera too.

patch697
25th January 2011, 10:40 AM
Welcome on board & I hope you enjoy the forum.