PDA

View Full Version : Men's health issues - what can we do?

NP99
28th October 2013, 11:27 PM
From this link - http://www.mensshed.org/what-is-a-men's-shed/.aspx

These places go a long way to helping with men's Heath issues.

The modern Men’s Shed is an updated version of the shed in the backyard that has long been a part of Australian culture. Men’s Sheds are springing up all around Australia. If you looked inside one you might see a number of men restoring furniture, perhaps restoring bicycles for a local school, maybe making Mynah bird traps or fixing lawn mowers or making a kids cubby house for Camp Quality to raffle. You might also see a few young men working with the older men learning new skills and maybe also learning something about life from the men they work with. You will see tea-bags, coffee cups and a comfortable area where men can sit and talk. You will probably also see an area where men can learn to cook for themselves or they can learn how to contact their families by computer.

So what is so special about this new type of Men’s Shed? Most men have learned from our culture that they don’t talk about feelings and emotions. There has been little encouragement for men to take an interest in their own health and well-being. Unlike women, most men are reluctant to talk about their emotions and that means that they usually don’t ask for help. Probably because of this many men are less healthy than women, they drink more, take more risks and they suffer more from isolation, loneliness and depression. Relationship breakdown, retrenchment or early retirement from a job, loss of children following divorce, physical or mental illness are just some of the problems that men find it hard to deal with on their own.

Good health is based on many factors including feeling good about yourself, being productive and valuable to your community, connecting to friends and maintaining an active body and an active mind. Becoming a member of a Men’s Shed gives a man that safe and busy environment where he can find many of these things in an atmosphere of old-fashioned mateship. And, importantly, there is no pressure. Men can just come and have a yarn and a cuppa if that is all they’re looking for.

Members of Men’s Sheds come from all walks of life - the bond that unites them is that they are men with time on their hands and they would like something meaningful to do with that time.

A good Men’s Shed has a co-ordinator who has both the technical and social skills to develop a safe and happy environment where men are welcome to work a project of their choice in their own time and where the only ‘must’ is to observe safe working practices. All in a spirit of mateship.

Because men don’t make a fuss about their problems, these problems have consistently been either ignored or swept under the mat by both our health system and our modern society. It’s time for a change and the Men’s Shed movement is one of the most powerful tools we have in helping men to once again become valued and valuable members of our community.

oncedisturbed
28th October 2013, 11:37 PM
Well said, hat's off to you. Member's meet ups are another good way, great having a ton of the member's meet up and work on the rigs and have a chat.
The different RSL's I have been involved with have had similar meet ups as well. The Emergency Services M/C crew I am with also do meet ups, fix bikes / cars etc.

Saved my bacon a few times as well

NP99
28th October 2013, 11:54 PM
We just have to put extra effort in to help the GQ guys :)

threedogs
29th October 2013, 06:48 AM
My mates and I have "VENT" sessions around a campfire every now and [3 a year] then
up Tallarook, nothing is out of bounds topic wise. Seem to help

NP99
29th October 2013, 08:58 AM
My mates and I have "VENT" sessions around a campfire every now and [3 a year] then
up Tallarook, nothing is out of bounds topic wise. Seem to help

Yes, I've sold the worlds problems many a time around a fire.

growler2058
14th April 2014, 11:29 AM
Fark me!!
Yup I went for a 42 year old male mid life crisis health check!
She had short fingers but they were thick! Fark I'm feeling 120% fully fukn violated at the moment. But apparently my prostrate feels normal
Go back in tomorrow for a heap of blood tests, for bowel cancer, haemacromotosis ( mums got it and so's my lad) All STD's (Thailand Tattoos not lady boys you sick $&@?!) Bowel cancers the scarey one I think at the moment. Had a bit of blood wiping the freckle. Though she seems to think that could be internal roids (hope so)
So YUP there ya go all you blokes that aren't 40 yet this is what ya got to look forward to. Those that are and haven't been.............well it's up to you, and nothing good about it except hopefully catch any bad shit early. Had an alarming amount of mates/colleagues get the big C lately so that stirred me into action.
I'm going to go wipe my arse again now hahahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb

93patrol
14th April 2014, 11:44 AM
It s not that chilli eating that has destroyed your butthole is it mate.

In all seriousness mens sheds are a great idea and helpful place. The only other spot is as three dogs said at the campfire on the piss

growler2058
14th April 2014, 12:38 PM
It s not that chilli eating that has destroyed your butthole is it mate.

In all seriousness mens sheds are a great idea and helpful place. The only other spot is as three dogs said at the campfire on the piss

She noted the callouses hahahahahhahahaha

Gecko17
15th April 2014, 10:01 AM
She noted the callouses hahahahahhahahaha

You sure they weren't toughened burns/blisters?

Good on you Growler for having the guts to get that done. I come from a long line of cancer victims so I make sure I get tested regularly... (My grandmother died of stomach cancer, dad died of bowel cancer and mum died of stomach cancer as well. I have had a malignant malenoma)

Getting the tests may leave you slighlty embarrassed but they can definately prolong your life, if any problems are detected early.

Well done to NP99 as well! I believe that this type of activity can also prolong ones lifespan as well.... Healthy Mind, Healthy Body!

growler2058
15th April 2014, 10:06 AM
Blood tests done today! Still have ring sting hahahahahahahaha. It was like a scene from all creatures great and small hahahahahahaha

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/04/18.jpg

DX grunt
15th April 2014, 10:39 AM
Fark me!!
Yup I went for a 42 year old male mid life crisis health check!
She had short fingers but they were thick! Fark I'm feeling 120% fully fukn violated at the moment. But apparently my prostrate feels normal
Go back in tomorrow for a heap of blood tests, for bowel cancer, haemacromotosis ( mums got it and so's my lad) All STD's (Thailand Tattoos not lady boys you sick $&@?!) Bowel cancers the scarey one I think at the moment. Had a bit of blood wiping the freckle. Though she seems to think that could be internal roids (hope so)
So YUP there ya go all you blokes that aren't 40 yet this is what ya got to look forward to. Those that are and haven't been.............well it's up to you, and nothing good about it except hopefully catch any bad shit early. Had an alarming amount of mates/colleagues get the big C lately so that stirred me into action.
I'm going to go wipe my arse again now hahahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using my thumb

Many years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and was medicated. I was absolutely traumatised at the thought of taking a tablet everyday for the rest of my life. From memory, it took me weeks to get over this fact.

About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, which from my understanding was attributed to diet and lifestyle. Again, I was medicated with 2 tablets a day.

Through sheer determination of diet and exercise, and a wife who stood by me with her love and cooking, I was totally off the medication in 11 weeks after losing about 15kg. I still have to check my Blood Sugar Level and have blood tests regularly, but now my medication is exercise.

I saw my doctor and slowly built up my bike riding to where I now ride between 20-40km every few days. Some days it wasn't easy to self-motivate without anybody to ride with me, but I stuck to it, and now I really enjoy it.

I have a family history of lotsa stuff and have invasive and non-invasive tests, regularly.

I've told my kids what medical issues I have, and hopefully they will understand the importance of regular testing,
and be thinking 20, 30 or even 40 years down the track - in advance.

I fully support Men's Sheds, Community Sheds, and campfire conversations, too.

rusty_nail
26th November 2014, 09:45 AM
as most who have met me know, i have had a serious health scare. in may 2011 i went under the knife to have a heart valve replaced. at the age of 23 it meant some serious changes to my life. no longer could i play rugby, or any contact sport for that matter, and having been a very active person up till that stage and having only ever played team sports that was a game changer.

fortunately for me because of my age the recovery was pretty swift... out of hospital in 5 days, and back behind the wheel after 3 months and for the most part no complications. i do have one ongoing complaint though, a stomach ulcer that i developed from a workplace stress related incident. because i have to take warfarin for the heart valve the ulcer isnt going away any time soon and i also now have to take an ongoing dose of nexuim to counteract the ulcer.

i love talking about my experience I think that people can appreciate that through much adversity also brings strength and that incident has strengthened my resolve. im always positive about it and i know that the other side of the coin i would probably not be around as my heart was not going to last much longer before the operation(it was roughly 2 and a half times the size larger than a fully grown adult heart and getting bigger). i happy that i will probably get to have a family and a wonderful long life thanks to modern medicine and the wonderful healthcare system that we are so lucky to have in Australia, unlike many countries.

of course sometimes i get upset thinking about the things i am missing out on, like the mateship and challenge as a team that team sports bring but i have a great bunch of friends like some of you on here that have more than replaced that missing link, its just ashame that so many of you live to bloody far away!!!!

im sure some of you have already seen it but here is a pic of me in intensive care after the operation: