PDA

View Full Version : Continuous starting problem for gq

hershal
28th October 2013, 01:38 PM
Hey guys

As you were al very helpful last time when my gq wouldn't start at all, I thought I would ask the online community for their thoughts again.

Car won't start first go. Takes about 5-6 attempts to start it on fuel. Will never start on LPG. But once it is started and you switch over it will run on LPG.

What I actually want to know is this a fuel issue? Or an ignition issue?

Does the gas system needs fuel primed to start or is it independent?

Cheers

rusty_nail
28th October 2013, 01:40 PM
im not an expert mate, but it sounds like maybe your points need adjusting?

hershal
28th October 2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah I am no expert either. But I like to learn and give things ago.
This could be a home job yeah?

NP99
28th October 2013, 03:15 PM
Points adjusted is an easy home job mate.

threedogs
28th October 2013, 03:42 PM
First off your electrics need to be in A1 condition, new leads, plugs, filters, also upgrade the dizzy to electronic.
Gas also likes it a tad advanced so slight pinging on petrol is the norm, Try sourcing and fitting "Ys" to the water system instead of "Ts"
This improves water flow and helps prevent cavitation in the system and sometimes freezing, Always bleed system at its highest point
if you cant find one create one. An inverted bottle of Coke cut in half is fine

hershal
28th October 2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah I got new leads plugs and cap
I should upgrade to electronic dizzy? Is this easy enough? If it helps ill do it
Wanted to replace most parts in the distributor anyways

With the gas I am not too worried until I can get the fuel starting first go

I remember you saying three dogs regarding those y pieces. Had a look couldn't really find anything but I'll keep looking

my third 256
28th October 2013, 04:42 PM
plenty on e bay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8mm-5-16-Brass-Barbed-Y-Piece-3-Way-Fuel-Hose-Joiner-/400340630233?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_ Supply_MRO&hash=item5d36293ad9

GQ TANK
28th October 2013, 05:33 PM
Could also be a vacuum leak.

Do you have qa carby of EFI setup?

Check the hoses in particuly between the gas mixer and carby / throttle body.

Could also be a leak at the manifold (inlet side)

LPG works off vacuum (depending on your setup) the more vacuum the more go. If you have a air leak then you want have as much go. But usually you will also have idle issues.

If you have a carby, make sure the 4 bolts that hold the carby to the inlet manifold are tight.

Blownlc
28th October 2013, 06:03 PM
Once you do get it started does it run really rough?

I had a similar issue with my gq (carby). I adjusted the choke and it fixed the problem. Make sure you mark its original position before loosening the screws.

LESS YAP YAP, MORE TAP TAP!!

mudnut
28th October 2013, 07:16 PM
Its not something basic like an old battery or loose terminals is it?

hershal
30th October 2013, 06:41 AM
Could also be a vacuum leak.

Do you have qa carby of EFI setup?

Check the hoses in particuly between the gas mixer and carby / throttle body.

Could also be a leak at the manifold (inlet side)

LPG works off vacuum (depending on your setup) the more vacuum the more go. If you have a air leak then you want have as much go. But usually you will also have idle issues.

If you have a carby, make sure the 4 bolts that hold the carby to the inlet manifold are tight.

It's an efi model

It doesn't have an idle issue once it starts and goes

I will recheck all vacuum hoses too cheers once I get home. Was hoping that if I needed to buy parts I could order them now so they are home when I arrive next week

Cheers

hershal
30th October 2013, 06:42 AM
Once you do get it started does it run really rough?

I had a similar issue with my gq (carby). I adjusted the choke and it fixed the problem. Make sure you mark its original position before loosening the screws.

LESS YAP YAP, MORE TAP TAP!!

No rough idle on both fuel or LPG. So it's just a mystery to me

hershal
30th October 2013, 06:43 AM
Its not something basic like an old battery or loose terminals is it?

Put a new battery and terminals a few months ago. So I'm hoping it's not this. I also checked all my earths too

hershal
30th October 2013, 06:43 AM
How hard is it to actually upgrade to electronic distributor? And how expensive?

taslucas
30th October 2013, 06:56 AM
How hard is it to actually upgrade to electronic distributor? And how expensive?

Pretty easy to fit an electronic ignition module inside the existing carby. Have a search on this forum for: Pertronix Ignitor.
I paid $172 for the ignitor2 and $40 for the flame thrower2 coil (which is recommended to use with the ignitor).

taslucas
30th October 2013, 06:58 AM

Winnie
30th October 2013, 07:01 AM
Hershal yours is an EFI model so the conversion is not needed... Nissan have done it for you.

taslucas
30th October 2013, 07:07 AM
Hershal yours is an EFI model so the conversion is not needed... Nissan have done it for you.

And to think I just went out and found my old pertronix packet for a photo! Hahaha well thats easy fixed

hershal
30th October 2013, 07:12 AM

Cheers
But is it worth replacing the old parts?

rusty_nail
30th October 2013, 07:15 AM

winnie, isnt that electronic fuel injection, not ignition? lol. im pretty sure all the models still have points?

Winnie
30th October 2013, 07:20 AM
winnie, isnt that electronic fuel injection, not ignition? lol. im pretty sure all the models still have points?

The TB42E has electronic ignition as well as fuel injection.

threedogs
30th October 2013, 07:22 AM
When you turn key to start on gas you get a small injection of gas, turn key on/off 4 or 5 times quickly you'll see what I mean, should start on gas
You may need purge valve to force some gas in,

hershal
30th October 2013, 07:32 AM
When you turn key to start on gas you get a small injection of gas, turn key on/off 4 or 5 times quickly you'll see what I mean, should start on gas
You may need purge valve to force some gas in,

Sounds like a good plan. Try and prime it a bit.

Still doesn't fix fuel issue. But. Bit by bit. I'll iron out the issues

Bob
30th October 2013, 07:42 AM
On a 1991 TB4.2 on Dual Fuel that I once had I used to turn Key on and wait for 15/20 secs and it would always start

hershal
30th October 2013, 07:46 AM
Funny thing is. Always started first go before. Then after I had that starting issue it's never been the same. On either fuel or LPG.

hershal
30th October 2013, 07:49 AM
plenty on e bay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8mm-5-16-Brass-Barbed-Y-Piece-3-Way-Fuel-Hose-Joiner-/400340630233?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_ Supply_MRO&hash=item5d36293ad9

Is 8mm what I am looking for?

Or are the water lines bigger in Diameter

threedogs
30th October 2013, 08:05 AM
You will need 10mm which will suit the 3/8th water hose, Don't pay more than $5
When you fit them make sure you get flow right. Its the little things, IMO
As some have said gas likes it advanced petrol doesn't it will ping,
so you need to find the fine line between pinging and running fine
99% of all gas problems are caused by electrics, believe it or not

hershal
30th October 2013, 08:15 AM
You will need 10mm which will suit the 3/8th water hose, Don't pay more than $5
When you fit them make sure you get flow right. Its the little things, IMO
As some have said gas likes it advanced petrol doesn't it will ping,
so you need to find the fine line between pinging and running fine

Cheers mate. Just because I'm no where near my patrol right now. How many do I need? 2?

threedogs
30th October 2013, 01:11 PM
Off the top of my head could be as many as 4 or 5, not expensive
and any left over you can sell here to other members
You said in a previous post it used to start ok, what has changed to alter that. IYO

hershal
30th October 2013, 01:52 PM
Off the top of my head could be as many as 4 or 5, not expensive
and any left over you can sell here to other members
You said in a previous post it used to start ok, what has changed to alter that. IYO

Cheers mate I'll get a few of them. About 5

Yeah if used to work all good but after I went through that water. Everything died and now nothing has been the same.

Might just bite the bullet and take it to an LPG mechanic to have a go over it.

Winnie
30th October 2013, 02:08 PM
Changing to those Y piece is not going to fix your problem, you've got other issues.

hershal
30th October 2013, 02:18 PM
Changing to those Y piece is not going to fix your problem, you've got other issues.

Yeah I realise that.

I'd like to work out why it won't start on fuel first. But I'll just do this at the same time.

NissanGQ4.2
30th October 2013, 04:43 PM
Yeah if used to work all good but after I went through that water. Everything died and now nothing has been the same.

Did water get inside the car at all??? Don't forget the ECU is not that high from the floor, maybe it has some water damage which is causing you some issues

hershal
30th October 2013, 06:26 PM
Did water get inside the car at all??? Don't forget the ECU is not that high from the floor, maybe it has some water damage which is causing you some issues

Nah no water inside

It wasn't even a big amount of water. Just about half a foot deep. I just hit it a little too fast and some splashed up. But no more than what would be like going through a puddle on the freeway