PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts shot at 50k ?

Hodge
28th October 2013, 12:01 PM
Hey fellas. Just had a random mechanic look at my car and he thinks my engine mounts are shot. He is basing that on vibration when in the car especially in the front passenger seat. I looked at the mounts but I'm ignorant to that as I don't know what's shot and what's not. Car only about to click over 50k.
Is this premature ?

93patrol
28th October 2013, 12:26 PM
To me it is unless your running huge horsepower. The way to check is get under there with a torch and have a look at the rubber and if it's cracked or split they are worn. Also if there's excessive movement when the engine is revving.

threedogs
28th October 2013, 12:46 PM
Rev it with the bonnet up the motor will try to leave the engine bay,
Also the gear lever will have access movement

NP99
28th October 2013, 03:06 PM
A random mechanic :)
Sorry mate, I'm being a smart arse......

Hodge
28th October 2013, 03:15 PM
A random mechanic :)
Sorry mate, I'm being a smart arse......

Haha yeah I was working next to a workshop today that had a few patrols so while I was there I asked a question.

Clunk
28th October 2013, 03:16 PM
i just changed my left mounted on saturday, I only suspected that it was stuffed due to the vibrations and the little stubby lever vibrated a fair bit. Couldnt tell just by visual checks or trying to lift the engine using trolley jack under the sump. Only way I knew for certain, was to take the thing out.......... and this is what I found.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35934&d=1382770243&thumb=1

Hodge
28th October 2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks clunk. After mount swap did you notice a difference in vibrations ??

Clunk
28th October 2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks clunk. After mount swap did you notice a difference in vibrations ??

yes mate, big improvement

Parksy
28th October 2013, 08:28 PM
I agree with what clunk said. Couldn't tell the condition of the mount while it was installed. Same thing when I removed mine. No good.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/771C8E99-953A-42C1-9F13-04549D6AD824-14847-00000A33CC964FDA.jpg
Generally the passenger side is the first to let go. Don't know what the setup is on a gu, but the gq's have a backup plate incase the rubber lets go, so you won't find your engine moving excessively within the engine bay.

Hodge
28th October 2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas. The vibration heard/felt in the passenger seat, seems to align with the symptoms of a shot mount. I just remembered I made a thread about this, when I joined here and bought the patrol.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?21631-Deep-exhaust-sound-passenger-side-Engine-revs-questions

I checked today and there is no excessive movement of the engine inside the bay. I'm not mechanically educated enough though, to judge what's excessive movement and what isn't.
The gear stick does move though but I've seen that in other cars too.
Just another "to do" now thing on this car. I notice the parts are relatively cheap, labour for this job is where the $$$ is I'm assuming.

Clunk
28th October 2013, 09:26 PM
I'm not mechanically educated either Hodge but managed to do mine myself. Took me 4 hours and was a fiddly bugger of a job but glad I did it myself though and saved some coin for the next job.

happygu
28th October 2013, 09:29 PM
Hodge,

My gear stick will move forwards and backwards when you jump on and off the gas, but it shouldn't move sideways - that is a sure sign that one of the mounts is amiss.

If the RHS engine ( Drivers ) mount is broken, the engine will try to rotate towards the passenger side when you rev it, and it will lift off the mount ( You should hear it clunk as it settles back down after backing off ).
Check with the bonnet open, and rev gently at first to see what is happening.

The LHS mount is a little harder to detect, but is less likely to be broken at 50K.

Mic