PDA

View Full Version : Which things to choose?

statok
27th October 2013, 07:55 PM
Hey everyone.

Can i get peoples thoughts and opinions.

Im wanting to put a 2 inch lift in my 98 gu. Whats a good brand?

If i was to keep it standard high whats a good set of springs and shocks to use?

Also thinking of putting some 33s all terrain tyers on it. Whats some decent ones?

Please keep in mind im not a millionaire or a mine worker ha ha ha!

First Patrol
27th October 2013, 08:01 PM
I'm watching this one mate

statok
27th October 2013, 08:03 PM
Ur right bud! Took it out bush abit today and i think ready to do some stuff to "Betsy"

Bush Ranger
27th October 2013, 08:31 PM
I went for Old Man Emu 2`` lift and BFG KM2 muddies. Thought I`d give them a go, as a brother had them on his and I opted for the KM2. I liked the look of the tread pattern over the rest.

statok
27th October 2013, 08:45 PM
Did u go 33s or 35s?

paulyg
27th October 2013, 09:34 PM
I have OME 2 inch with Federal Couragia mud tyres very happy with the lift and tyres.

statok
27th October 2013, 09:37 PM
Are the mud tyers loud on the road?

Drewboyaus
27th October 2013, 09:38 PM
Unless you want to spend big bucks on a custom suspension set up, despite what others might say, you will not do better for the money than Old Man Emu springs and Nitrocharger Sport shocks.
Don't bother remaining at standard height, go the 50mm lifted springs and to remain legal (without engineering) roll with 33 inch tyres if your choice. My personal faves are BFG or Mickey Thompson.

Drewboyaus
27th October 2013, 09:40 PM

Louder than Highway Terrain but the BFG's are surprisingly quiet. I have them on my GQ

mudski
28th October 2013, 08:29 AM
+1 for OME and KM2's. I have OME now and are looking at new shocks and springs down the track but will go 3 or 4 inch this time. The KM2's are noisier than an A/T tyre but are the quietest out of the mud terrain tyres. If its your daily driver, look around for a set of road tyres too. I did this as I didn't want to drive on $400 tyres every day. Looks the goods but expensive. I picked up 5 road tyres with 90% tread on Nissan steelies from a wrecker for $400 last year. Bargain!

threedogs
28th October 2013, 08:47 AM
2" lift and 33s/285s will see you go nearly everywhere ,with correct tyre pressures, etc
I went with EFS coils and shocks and found them to be great so far. no sagging

Have a look at the Mickey Thomson 4 rib a very good all rounder.
Raising it 2" will improve ride quality,
not many would keep the STD height on any 4x4 IMO

statok
28th October 2013, 09:32 AM
I appreciate the info fellas.

I do drive the 4b to work 3 days a week. So im thinking all terrain tyers.

rkinsey
28th October 2013, 10:47 AM
Have a think about what you are doing with your Patrol. If like me, you run 90% of the time on the black top, then consider a set of ATs. They are much quieter on the road than MTs, handle fairly well in the wet (especially with a two tonne car pushing them down on the road) and will take you to most of the places you need to go. I run a set of Maxxis 751 Bravo ATs and will take me, the family and the camper trailer camping and exploring quite nicely. I got mine from Jax and cost $195.00 each fitted and balanced.

As for the 2" lift. OME are very good as most have mentioned here. the 4X4 Supa Centre has a 2" kit for the GU at $1022.00 - http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/suspension/raw-4x4-nissan-patrol-gu-nitro-max-shocks-41mm-bore.html

Have a good look around. But remember, if it seems to be too good to be true then it probably is. That doesn't mean to say you have to buy the most expensive units on the market either.

Take your time, you'll be right.

Cheers,

Rob

MEGOMONSTER
28th October 2013, 10:50 AM

The Km2 are quiet mud tyres.
You still get the droning of the tyres.
They seem loud until. Some with a different set of muddies roll past. Then you know they're quiet.

liftlid
28th October 2013, 11:09 AM
Unless you want to spend big bucks on a custom suspension set up, despite what others might say, you will not do better for the money than Old Man Emu springs and Nitrocharger Sport shocks.
Don't bother remaining at standard height, go the 50mm lifted springs and to remain legal (without engineering) roll with 33 inch tyres if your choice. My personal faves are BFG or Mickey Thompson.

I agree, good touring setup and will get you as far as your willing to push your car. Little point putting $5k+ of suspension under your truck if your driving style doesn't need it.

statok
28th October 2013, 01:53 PM
I wont be spending 5k on suspension thats for shore.

I think ill go for some att terrain tyers.

statok
28th October 2013, 02:29 PM
Found them cheaper here rkinsey.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281096474887

threedogs
28th October 2013, 02:41 PM
If your going to run a winch or dual battery in the future you
may want to hold off on suspension till all MODs are done

statok
28th October 2013, 02:44 PM
I wont be doing dual battery set up. But ill be 100% doing a winch.

Why should i hold off?

mudski
28th October 2013, 02:45 PM
AT's would be good for the black top and most tracks but personally if you do, do any muddy hill climbs this is where you will need MT's. I suppose it all depends on where you like to take your 4by and the conditions and areas you go. Where I go AT's wouldn't cut it.
If you don't need new shoes now, scour Ebay and wreckers for a good set of road tyres I reckon and save the coin for a set of muddies.

mudski
28th October 2013, 02:48 PM
I wont be doing dual battery set up. But ill be 100% doing a winch.

Why should i hold off?
Weight factor. Having all the goodies hanging off the front, eg steel bar, winch etc etc adds to the weigh and the springs you choose now may not be capable of handling the extra weight down the track when you add more goodies. Springs ain't springs. :)

rkinsey
28th October 2013, 02:52 PM
Found them cheaper here rkinsey.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281096474887

That posting has been removed. What was the deal for? The cheapest 26575R16 Maxxis 751 Bravo AT I could find on Ebay were $200 supply only.

Cheers,

Rob

liftlid
28th October 2013, 03:22 PM
Weight factor. Having all the goodies hanging off the front, eg steel bar, winch etc etc adds to the weigh and the springs you choose now may not be capable of handling the extra weight down the track when you add more goodies. Springs ain't springs. :)

You should be able to tell your ARB bloke or any other supplier what you are going to bolt to the car and permanently carry and they will recommend the correct weight spring and let you know the the pros and cons if they can't find a new supplier also get a good set of muddies on another set of rims to run in bush if your car is a daily driver, muddies are tougher and have more grip for bush work

Covo71
28th October 2013, 07:03 PM
I got Dobinson's springs and shocks last week for just under $800. Took me few hours to put on with the help from this forum. Patrol is driving great.

statok
29th October 2013, 08:12 AM
Hey rkinsey. Go onto ebay and type in the item number (281096474887)

rkinsey
29th October 2013, 10:55 AM
Hey rkinsey. Go onto ebay and type in the item number (281096474887)

Nice find mate for the suspension kit. I'll keep an eye on these guys myself. Next year I am going to add 3" lift to my GQ.

Cheers,

Rob

statok
29th October 2013, 10:57 AM
No worries mate. Im always a bargain shopper.

Do you need a degree from NASA to put the lift kit in?

threedogs
29th October 2013, 11:13 AM
No degree required have a search a nut by nut description was just
posted last week or so by Mudrunner for Megomonster before they went to the meet up

happygu
29th October 2013, 12:17 PM
Search for this thread -

This will help you decide if it is a job for you or not......

24052-Suspension-spring-rates-etc

Mic