PDA

View Full Version : Some Help needed.

sujay
27th October 2013, 03:50 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm driving a 2.8 Gu Patrol '98.

Had issues with ignition when the motor was hot - got the advance plate and got rid of those.
The advance plate also helped me with a little extra power and definitely better fuel economy.

I will be ordering the EGR blanking plate soon too.
Other things that may help keep the engine running better is removing the butterfly valve?

Lately have noticed black smoke out the back on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears while gunning it, just when the turbo spools. Should I be concerned or are 2.8's common to do that? Will cleaning out the intercooler help with this?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
SUjay

mudski
27th October 2013, 11:26 PM
Okay as per our pm bud, for the smoke issue I would be checking for boost leaks first. Even having a slight boost leak can result in over fueling which gives you the black smoke. Your injectors could be just old and in need of a new set or a clean. But how much smoke we talking? Lots or enough that you just see it in the mirrors? Diesels do blow a bit of black smoke anyway if you put your foot into it.
Removing the butterfly is a good idea...If you have the time, even removing the intake manifold and cleaning it right out and remove all the gunk thanks to your EGR would be good too...
Fit a catch can would be a good thing to do too...

sujay
27th October 2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the pointers mate.
The smoke, well its just enough to be seen in the mirrors, so nothing that is bothering me right now.... but just want to make sure that this doesnt lead to a bigger problem!

As for cleaning the intake manifold, is this an easy job to do? I am dangerously close to being stupid when it comes to mechanical things! Lol

Let me know

rubber
3rd November 2013, 11:01 PM
Hi SUjay

I also have a 1998 2.8 (155,000km) that likes to blow a bit of smoke between 1st and 2nd. Not so much anywhere else in the rev range. It has done this pretty much since I bought it in 2002. I had it looked at in 2002 even to the extent of having the pump removed and flow tested. (Which tested OK) Also had a few trips to Nissan who seemed reluctant to actually put a spanner on the car.

Anyway I gave up in the end and it could not have been too serious as that was 10 years ago.

Fast forward to last week and it seems to be blowing a bit more smoke and maybe using a bit more fuel. Took it to a mechanic who said yes it probably was a bit smokey, but he tested the boost throught the rev range and a few other things, and said it was basiclaly perfect. He blocked off the EGR which I think has helped a bit. He thought unlikely to be the injectors as elsewhere in the rev range it is clear. The mechanic was going to have a bit of a think about it.

To be honest I am starting to think, it might just be how it is.

Rubber

sujay
4th November 2013, 12:48 AM
Hi Rubber,

Haha yes mate, thats a conclusion even I am getting to now! Saw a lot of threads online about the 2.8's throwing out smoke! I guess, ill just let it be!
I'll be doing up the EGR blocking tomorrow, lets see how much that helps!

Cheers mate!