PDA

View Full Version : Not all things come from where you expect....

mudski
27th October 2013, 12:49 AM
So its no secret I import various items. Its not a great deal of items but slowly growing. Countries I import from are the U.K, Italy, U.S.A, China, Japan, HK and soon to be Slovakia, if everything goes to plan.
Now I have been in parts sales for over twenty years for the heavy industry, been out of it now for four years on a professional level. I have purchased millions of $$$ of goods from OEM's and the aftermarket companies in my time and this I dont often come across.While it is rampant, its not often seen. But something I bought for myself, a belt tensioner, from my Local Nissan Dealer caught my eye and I had to giggle about it.
The item is OEM boxed, the sticker says made in Japan on the box. Look at the pic of the two tensioners, my old unit is the left one. Look where the new OEM tensioner is made from on the right.

Bit of useless info but it amused me. You would think an OEM would atleast try to cover it up somehow. Or maybe the box is made in a different country to the part in the box...

nissannewby
27th October 2013, 01:48 AM
Open any new American,euro heavy duty Diesel engine- cat, cummins, Detroit, Volvo etc a fair chunk is all made in China.

NissanGQ4.2
27th October 2013, 05:10 AM
Bit of useless info but it amused me. You would think an OEM would atleast try to cover it up somehow. Or maybe the box is made in a different country to the part in the box...

Would not surprise me if Nissan had a manufacturing plant in China which would still make it OEM wouldn't it?

my third 256
27th October 2013, 06:08 AM
back in the early days of fisher and paycell fridges when they were trying to get into the market
they were made in N.Z but the box had plastered all over it
MADE IN AUSTRALIA
you guessed it the box was made in australia

threedogs
27th October 2013, 07:00 AM
You follow where the cheaper manufacturing costs are, that's business. D 40s Navaras are made in Spain, Japan and Mexico. go figure

A lot of OE Harley Davison parts are made in Mexico as well

Bloodyaussie
27th October 2013, 07:28 AM
I think its more the point that the box says "Made in Japan " and the part has "Made in Slovakia" on it.... I am sure there is some sort of laws it is in breach of??

threedogs
27th October 2013, 07:30 AM
NOS, who knows how the brains of the big wigs work As long as the part
does what its supposed to do, the packet is secondary

BigRAWesty
27th October 2013, 07:44 AM
Box says Japan, New part says China, old one says Slovakia..

So which one lol

Bloodyaussie
27th October 2013, 07:45 AM
Box says Japan, New part says China, old one says sovlacia

You know what I mean ya bone head...... it's more the point that the box says one thing and the part says another!!!

NP99
27th October 2013, 08:33 AM
You follow where the cheaper manufacturing costs are, that's business. D 40s Navaras are made in Spain, Japan and Mexico. go figure

And Japan too......love the fact they think their bikes are rice free :)

threedogs
27th October 2013, 08:42 AM
Better check my Weeties lol

mudski
27th October 2013, 10:39 AM
Open any new American,euro heavy duty Diesel engine- cat, cummins, Detroit, Volvo etc a fair chunk is all made in China.
Yeah I remember now. I was importing a lot of Mack parts from the US and alot of it was made elsewhere other than America.

Would not surprise me if Nissan had a manufacturing plant in China which would still make it OEM wouldn't it?
Well if its approved by the OEM's, I can't see a problem. I'm an OEM Aussie, but my parts, or my genetic makeup, is from Italy and Germany. Lol

Most of the Navara's come from Spain or Thailand these days....

I suppose my point of this was, that a lot of people, not everyone, but a lot, in any industry, clothing, whitegoods etc etc automatically think if it's made in China its rubbish. This kinda points out that its not all true I suppose. Poor quality items get made from any country in the world. Just look at Ford for example. LOL

I just recently found out that Hella USA get there stuff made from India, Poland, Brazil just to name a few...

threedogs
27th October 2013, 01:08 PM
Thought my wife was skippy turned out she was Italian, win/win for me.

Back to motor parts being boxed wrong I don't think its a law like FOOD stuffs ,
As long as it fits does it's job and last as long as an OE part I'd be happy.
Who looks at the box anyway??

boots
27th October 2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks for sharing Mark . How much for a new tensioner by the way ? One of those things been meaning to get as a spare .

mudski
27th October 2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for sharing Mark . How much for a new tensioner by the way ? One of those things been meaning to get as a spare .
Bundoora Nissan wanted $380, I got the first one from, Shepparton Nissan. Then it failed so I took it to Bundoora Nissan for a warranty and they swapped it over there and then. Was very surprised about them swapping it on the spot. IF you get one, keep the old one as a spare and use the newy. But you would probably do that anyway. I did notice the actual tension was greater on the new unit and then my front seal started to leak after fitting the new tensioner.
Dunno if it was linked but the little extra tension I suppose could cause an old front seal to go foobar.

I'm actually test running a Chinese aftermarket tensioner now. I might be importing these too. The only thing that I don't like is the pulley bearing only uses a single row bearing, as the OEM unit uses a double row. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Sir Roofy
27th October 2013, 06:25 PM
My front seal started to leak after i fixed the tensioner put in a new seal
alls good