PDA

View Full Version : 4WD TV thoughts

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2013, 03:19 PM
4wd tv bores me..... yes Darren it does!!! Except the ones with GROWLER theyre awesome coz he's such a great fella. I really hope I can get a punch in the neck from him sometime soon

What can they do to make it more interesting, There has been the odd show I have liked but for the most part that music kills me and watching a 4wd driving down the road and then stop for a pie just doesn't float my boat.

I just think they need to move forward and come up with some fresh ideas..

I am not looking for a fight I just want a show about 4wding to be more interesting and informative.
and think they need make some changes.... your thoughts!

growler2058
25th October 2013, 04:03 PM
4wd tv bores me..... yes Darren it does!!! Except the ones with GROWLER theyre awesome coz he's such a great fella. I really hope I can get a pinch in the neck from him sometime soon

What can they do to make it more interesting, There has been the odd show I have liked but for the most part that music kills me and watching a 4wd driving down the road and then stop for a pie just doesn't float my boat.

I just think they need to move forward and come up with some fresh ideas..

I am not looking for a fight I just want a show about 4wding to be more interesting and informative.
and think they need make some changes.... your thoughts!

Thanks mate for ya kind words. I will hopefully be able to give you a good punch in the neck

AB
25th October 2013, 04:07 PM
Why don't you just turn it off and watch re runs of A Country Practice or something...lol

growler2058
25th October 2013, 04:08 PM
Or watch episode 331 with me in my rig over and over

Winnie
25th October 2013, 04:10 PM
I am not looking for a fight

Well you've found one! FISTICUFFS!!!

Cuppa
25th October 2013, 04:12 PM
Where do you watch it - is it on TV?
Does it have any good adventure travel stuff.

AB
25th October 2013, 04:13 PM
Or do something useful and memorize the periodic table.

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2013, 04:14 PM
You lot are like little children............ I'll just stick to 4wd action then and Roothy saying stupid shit!!!!!!

threedogs
25th October 2013, 04:15 PM
All shows seem similar to me , but I've know The show when Hari was his partner and they commented from simons house.
which is just around the corner from MUMS. Seems it all about the latest and greatest gear
Give Danny a PM,
At least its better than the other 4x4 show when it was on

All 4 Adventure shows 4WD destinations

BigRAWesty
25th October 2013, 04:21 PM
Where do you watch it - is it on TV?
Does it have any good adventure travel stuff.

Mostly you tube I think..

I don't mind it but don't watch it religiously.

growler2058
25th October 2013, 04:22 PM
Community TV channel in Adelaide it 44

macca
25th October 2013, 04:28 PM
Must be a tough gig, huge crews with vehicles, expensive recording & editing gear and wages to pay. So in come the sponsors and the target punter gets pissed with all the adds.
I don't get to see many of the shows, one is a bit amateurish, which appeals to me as a fair dinkum down to earth with that Simon Christy ? bloke. But the ads or promotions fair go.
Some DIY that can be done without a full workshop would be good to learn from. Always interested in bush repairs too.
Pat Callinan does interesting trip style shows, whets the appetite, mmm I like to see that. There are blacktop style shows that do that too.
Lots of competition out there all drawing off the same pool of funds, us. LOL

NP99
25th October 2013, 04:41 PM
Blokes world is a good option, nah wait, that got boring too.

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2013, 04:49 PM

Didn't it......... such a shame!!!

Warwick89
25th October 2013, 06:05 PM
Must be a tough gig, huge crews with vehicles, expensive recording & editing gear and wages to pay. So in come the sponsors and the target punter gets pissed with all the adds.
I don't get to see many of the shows, one is a bit amateurish, which appeals to me as a fair dinkum down to earth with that Simon Christy ? bloke. But the ads or promotions fair go.
Some DIY that can be done without a full workshop would be good to learn from. Always interested in bush repairs too.
Pat Callinan does interesting trip style shows, whets the appetite, mmm I like to see that. There are blacktop style shows that do that too.
Lots of competition out there all drawing off the same pool of funds, us. LOL

X2 all that, would be good with a bit more dyi and bush repairs and less of the comp rock climbing footage

Hodge
25th October 2013, 06:09 PM
I stopped watching this a while ago. Just like the 4x4 action DVD's, even though I'm still subscribed to them. It's all gone down south. More advertising than you can swallow, and Roothy beeing up Glenno's arse all the time. And 4WD TV, last few times I watched it it's all Thailand or vietnam or wherever the hell he goes to. Seriously who cares about the 4x4 scene over there, with all the places one can visit here in Australia ?

Sir Roofy
25th October 2013, 06:23 PM
Well its better than homeand way and cooking shows aye grunt

Woof
25th October 2013, 08:32 PM
I am so over all of the 4WD shows, I much prefer to watch the videos that members post here

Warwick89
25th October 2013, 08:58 PM
I'm just sick of watching comp stuff, not everyone's cuppa T

BigRAWesty
25th October 2013, 09:17 PM

Didn't it......... such a shame!!!

There only so much "girls On trampolines" one man can handle..

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2013, 09:20 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

I cant comment on what I want to say.....

I think maybe 4wd tv should go out driving with different locals and if they are total dicks they should pay out on them. lol !!!

gaddy
25th October 2013, 09:21 PM
yep it beats cooking shows and soapies but I guess the sponsors are the ones that pay the bills , I used to enjoy and watch it all the time . Guess I'm just not into comp trucks . Mud racing etc . And a colorado add every 5 min .

Could be worse though to make a top rating fishing show . All you gotta do is fish with guides , charter boats And get the missus to show cleavage . Does not make you a good fisher though ,

TPC
25th October 2013, 09:32 PM
I was on Pat Callinan's show once for about 20 seconds swimming in Dalhousie Springs, was not a pretty sight.
Still cant believe it made it past the editors.

megatexture
25th October 2013, 09:34 PM
Lmao they must have thought it was a new species of dugong lol

AB
I was on Pat Callinan's show once for about 20 seconds swimming in Dalhousie Springs, was not a pretty sight.
Still cant believe it made it past the editors.

They do wonders with photoshop these days...lmao

MudRunnerTD
This is an interesting problem. And an interesting question.

To give some perspective for you guys, Simon Christie started off filming his own antics and he developed a small show from there. If you have a look at the credits to will note the Production Company that produces 4WDTV is called Backyard Productions. Apt really considering that to this day it is literally produced in an Atco Shed in Simons Backyard in Brunswick. Small crib shed with 1 aircon and 5 blokes lined up looking at between 10 and 15 screens producing now 3 different TV shows!

4WDTV, Your 4x4 and Simon Christies Pro Tips.

To Broadcast on Community TV is not Free. I don't know the numbers but Channel 31 charge Simon to broadcast. Simon draws an income from the Sponsors Commercials to offset the coat of production and cost of Broadcasting.

Community TV is a bit tricky and there are a number of rules about Advertising that restricts blatant Adverts across the show. It can't be all about ARB this and ARB that or whoever the sponsor is.

They build the show around "expert" comments from Sponsors to embed the sponsors brand.

Note that most of he outback touring is with the Sponsors, most of them have sign writing on cars to bypass the channel 31 restrictions.

Note that there is a heap over this last season about the Simpson Crossing. They filmed the whole trip and achieved enough footage to produce a full series of shows. Same rule for the Tough Truck challenge they covered. Their sponsors need that coverage to support their product and get them in front of you.

It is what it is unfortunately. Simon has integrity though, he hand picks he sponsors and is not interested really in who has the deepest pockets. If their products are Crap I believe Simon will pass them by, I Know Roothy is happy to have his Name on Junk, I don't think Simon is the same.

Feel free to give Simon quality feedback, he will consider your feedback but he has to cover his costs. It's business but he is not selling his Sole.

The Vietnam footage and the Hawaii footage is the result of international trips to show us the world, it's got to provide at least a season of footage though or it's not cost effective. Some of that stuff is pretty interesting though and give us some insight into what the world is doing.

Thumbs up from me, I don't watch it every week and some of the stuff I can take it or leave I but Thanks Simon for your support of our community and our hobby, and Thanks Simon for the exposure you have provided to this Forum and the a setups and Your Rigs we have benefited from. Nice one.

My 2c

TPC
25th October 2013, 09:39 PM
This is an interesting problem. And an interesting question.

To give some perspective for you guys, Simon Christie started off filming his own antics and he developed a small show from there. If you have a look at the credits to will note the Production Company that produces 4WDTV is called Backyard Productions. Apt really considering that to this day it is literally produced in an Atco Shed in Simons Backyard in Brunswick. Small crib shed with 1 aircon and 5 blokes lined up looking at between 10 and 15 screens producing now 3 different TV shows!

4WDTV, Your 4x4 and Simon Christies Pro Tips.

To Broadcast on Community TV is not Free. I don't know the numbers but Channel 31 charge Simon to broadcast. Simon draws an income from the Sponsors Commercials to offset the coat of production and cost of Broadcasting.

Community TV is a bit tricky and there are a number of rules about Advertising that restricts blatant Adverts across the show. It can't be all about ARB this and ARB that or whoever the sponsor is.

They build the show around "expert" comments from Sponsors to embed the sponsors brand.

Note that most of he outback touring is with the Sponsors, most of them have sign writing on cars to bypass the channel 31 restrictions.

Note that there is a heap over this last season about the Simpson Crossing. They filmed the whole trip and achieved enough footage to produce a full series of shows. Same rule for the Tough Truck challenge they covered. Their sponsors need that coverage to support their product and get them in front of you.

It is what it is unfortunately. Simon has integrity though, he hand picks he sponsors and is not interested really in who has the deepest pockets. If their products are Crap I believe Simon will pass them by, I Know Roothy is happy to have his Name on Junk, I don't think Simon is the same.

Feel free to give Simon quality feedback, he will consider your feedback but he has to cover his costs. It's business but he is not selling his Sole.

The Vietnam footage and the Hawaii footage is the result of international trips to show us the world, it's got to provide at least a season of footage though or it's not cost effective. Some of that stuff is pretty interesting though and give us some insight into what the world is doing.

Thumbs up from me, I don't watch it every week and some of the stuff I can take it or leave I but Thanks Simon for your support of our community and our hobby, and Thanks Simon for the exposure you have provided to this Forum and the a setups and Your Rigs we have benefited from. Nice one.

My 2c

That is a bloody lot to try and read at this time on a Friday night.

EDIT- I read it and as AB said, well said. Makes me have a bit more respect for Simon.

AB
25th October 2013, 09:44 PM
That is really well said Dazz, good to put into perspective so others understand the story. Good read mate!

megatexture
25th October 2013, 09:47 PM
That is a bloody lot to try and read at this time on a Friday night.

Just hit thanks and read it later lol.

You summed it up well MR I can't see it being an easy job, fun yes but not easy.

I recall reading in a 4wdaction mag they said each video cost them over $100k to produce and I would believe it when you consider how many wages they pay, camera and photographers and fuel and they also said the advertising only covers 30% of the costs, I bet this blows Simons budget out the window.

AB
25th October 2013, 10:17 PM
In hindsight... Do we really want to see ads on this forum... No

But I have to have them here to support the forum otherwise there will be no forum.

Same story with Simon and Miranda.

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2013, 10:20 PM
Not about that.. I expect ads.. but get rid of that fricking stupid music... that bloody guitar sucks balls!!!!!!!!!

BigRAWesty
25th October 2013, 10:22 PM
Are they coming to the Simpson with us??

megatexture
25th October 2013, 10:34 PM
In hindsight... Do we really want to see ads on this forum... No

But I have to have them here to support the forum otherwise there will be no forum.

Same story with Simon and Miranda. I don't even notice them really but accidentally click them for you lol

NP99
25th October 2013, 11:15 PM

Wash your mouth with soap..... :)

BigRAWesty
25th October 2013, 11:47 PM
Wash your mouth with soap..... :)

As soon as I saw the preview on mc I knew you were replying to me lol

It was good when I was 18...

Bloodyaussie
26th October 2013, 06:30 AM
As soon as I saw the preview on mc I knew you were replying to me lol

It was good when I was 18...

6 months ago!!!!!!!!! lol

Lewy
26th October 2013, 06:36 AM
I have been watching 4wd tv since it first started and now dont even bother as its just boring!! Unless you like seeing love day over and over and over again!!! and comp trucks!! Also find Simon to be as boring as watching paint dry JMO :-)

Bloodyaussie
26th October 2013, 06:58 AM
Darren I was reading through your long winded dribble and... (Joking and you know it) but this is not about integrity or comparing this to another show but about some feedback as I feel it needs to move in a new direction and when I say that I mean the basic layout of each episode.

And I also have to clear something it is "Your 4x4" is the show I am talking about not "4wdtv"

The music really does drive me mad and there is so much talent in this country looking for exposure and would gladly let there music be heard free of charge just to have it out there.. support our local music industry and mix it up again.. not all of us are 50+ years old wanting to listen to the good ol days!!

And I was watching an episode down in Tassie and they were driving around on bloody Tar the whole time... I know its part of there journey but good tv it does not make and need not be there just for the sake of some packing.

I just want them to move forward and mix it up a bit and not just go through the motions... c'mon Simon it's all for the "greater good"

My 2 cents... Daz get a dog up ya!!!!

And when can I send the wife down for a day spa on mates rates..ha ha ha!!!

threedogs
26th October 2013, 07:10 AM
I'll wait for Simon/ Miranda or Danny to reply.
starting to sound like a witch hunt.

Who likes "All 4 Adventure" With the two Drongos
touring over top half of Aus

Bloodyaussie
26th October 2013, 07:27 AM
I'll wait for Simon/ Miranda or Danny to reply.
starting to sound like a witch hunt.

Who likes "All 4 Adventure" With the two Drongos
touring over top half of Aus

How the hell is it a witch hunt John???????????????

NP99
26th October 2013, 07:31 AM
I don't see this as a witch hunt 3D. Bloodyaussie has some valid points. Like a lot of things in life the show has gone stale in comfort mode. It's a good product that can have a new lease on life if people listen.

Hodge
26th October 2013, 07:44 AM
Whether we like it or not, NP99, I doubt they would listen as they are dictated by the sponsors, and let's face it it's the only way the show can survive.
I for one am glad that at least there is a 4x4 show on our teli thanks to Simon. However, as per my other previous comment, it just cannot see why they go overseas to film stuff with so much territory here in Aus.

NP99
26th October 2013, 07:56 AM
Whether we like it or not, NP99, I doubt they would listen as they are dictated by the sponsors, and let's face it it's the only way the show can survive.
I for one am glad that at least there is a 4x4 show on our teli thanks to Simon. However, as per my other previous comment, it just cannot see why they go overseas to film stuff with so much territory here in Aus.

I understand what you're saying mate, but they have to listen, no one watches, then no one sees the sponsor products. Bit of a circle thing I guess!

Covo71
26th October 2013, 08:10 AM
Just wanting to put in my 2c as well. I used to watch the show when it was more backyard job. Even though it is a Toyota he never brings out the FJ anymore probably due to Holden sponsoring with that hideous looking Colorado. What would be ideal would be a mixture of 4wd tv and 4wd action. Quality gear used on older trucks hitting awesome tracks and destinations. No one specific sponsor. Just my thoughts.

Hodge
26th October 2013, 08:17 AM
I'm totally with you on that Covo. Except with one thing. We would need the old 4x4 action and the old 4wd tv the way it used to be. The last thing we want is a Colorado kitted out with Roosystems gear shoved down our throats every 5 seconds in each video. lol

I understand what you're saying mate, but they have to listen, no one watches, then no one sees the sponsor products. Bit of a circle thing I guess!

It's definitely a circle thing. It's the world we live in. Money talks, bull*hit walks.

threedogs
26th October 2013, 11:16 AM
My comment was made because no one contacted Simon/Miranda for their opinions.
Its been voted best show on 44 for what 4-5 years now. so if it aint broke??????

How many been on Your rig besides AB, Mudrunner, Growler and myself ???

NP99
26th October 2013, 11:34 AM
My comment was made because no one contacted Simon/Miranda for their opinions.
Its been voted best show on 44 for what 4-5 years now. so if it aint broke??????

Damn movies stars :)

nissannewby
26th October 2013, 12:08 PM
How do they beat all the T&A on blokes world? I don't watch it anymore either, it so much like the ad DVDs you get with 4wd action and haven't bought that for nearly 2 years either.

What if this forum started a show? We do plenty of great trips and are not sponsored by any vehicle make as such.

megatexture
26th October 2013, 12:22 PM
How do they beat all the T&A on blokes world? I don't watch it anymore either, it so much like the ad DVDs you get with 4wd action and haven't bought that for nearly 2 years either.

What if this forum started a show? We do plenty of great trips and are not sponsored by any vehicle make as such.

This will be like that awsome np.com magazine. btw ab I'm ready for #2 in the series lol

Btw here's the link if anyone hasn't seen it yet http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6678-Nissan-Patrol-Magazine-November-Issue

Maxhead
26th October 2013, 12:37 PM

Lots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NP99
26th October 2013, 12:54 PM

Ok....ill book the nitro girls