PDA

View Full Version : This will be interesting...

Coldcomfort
25th October 2013, 01:48 PM
About 5 weeks ago I had ARB here in the Alice install their OME suspension kit (2") . For the last couple of days I have been feeling/hearing a clunking sound coming from the steering when doing a slight turn to the right. I can make the sound when stationary and just rocking the steering wheel from left to right.

I took it to ARB this morning thinking that they may have not tightened something or perhaps a steering damper had failed or something like that. Anyhow after spending about an hour on it they found that the noise was coming from up high in the steering column or somewhere like that........ They rang the Nissan dealer here and had a chat to them to let them know hwat they had found. Went straight to the dealer today and booked it in for 07:30 wednesday next week......

I wonder how this will play out???

Car is 12 months old next month... Warranty arguments coming my way I believe.....

BigRAWesty
25th October 2013, 02:02 PM
Aus regs state that warranty stand within a reasonable time frame after the stated window..
So 12 months warranty, if something craps itself say 13 months out they will change it..
But you have booked it before it runs out. You will be fine.
Can you feel it threw the floor??

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2013, 02:03 PM
Good luck.... could be something simple and to your surprise they just fix it, Ya never know!!

Coldcomfort
25th October 2013, 02:06 PM
Can you feel it threw the floor??

Not that I have noticed.... Fingers crossed that it something simple....

rkinsey
25th October 2013, 02:20 PM
G'day Cold.

If its a warranty issue then you are covered as you have reported the problem, during the warranty period, to the manufacturer. so even if the warranty expired tomorrow and you have the car booked in with them next week, the warranty repair (if it is deemed to be one) will still be covered by the manufacturer.

This is covered by the Trades Practices ACT.

So I think you will be fine.

Cheers,

Rob

threedogs
25th October 2013, 02:31 PM
Is it a tinny clunk or metallic clunk Sorry to Clunk.

silly but does it still have rubber end spacer on the coils,
ARB should have cable tied them to the top of the coils

Coldcomfort
25th October 2013, 02:34 PM
Is it a tinny clunk or metallic clunk Sorry to Clunk.

It's a dull muffled sort of clunk.... If that makes sense??

threedogs
25th October 2013, 02:36 PM
I'd be looking at that rubber gasket if that's what its called ,on top of coil spring
hasn't dislodged and your running metal to metal, in the spring hanger

Coldcomfort
25th October 2013, 02:37 PM
The worry I have with warranty is Nissans usual style of wiggling out of fixing things. I am sure that they will say that ARB caused the fault and that they wont cover it under Nissans warranty. We shall see.

threedogs
25th October 2013, 02:44 PM
rumble in the jungle centre style love it, can already see the handball
Nuts up nice and tight

NP99
25th October 2013, 05:48 PM
About 5 weeks ago I had ARB here in the Alice install their OME suspension kit (2") . For the last couple of days I have been feeling/hearing a clunking sound coming from the steering when doing a slight turn to the right. I can make the sound when stationary and just rocking the steering wheel from left to right.

I took it to ARB this morning thinking that they may have not tightened something or perhaps a steering damper had failed or something like that. Anyhow after spending about an hour on it they found that the noise was coming from up high in the steering column or somewhere like that........ They rang the Nissan dealer here and had a chat to them to let them know hwat they had found. Went straight to the dealer today and booked it in for 07:30 wednesday next week......

Car is 12 months old next month... Warranty arguments coming my way I believe.....

Sorry mate, wasn't listening, too busy looking at the orange hammock with kitty, what did you say again??? :)

Coldcomfort
25th October 2013, 07:15 PM
Sorry mate, wasn't listening, too busy looking at the orange hammock with kitty, what did you say again??? :)

So, your a pussy lover......??

Warwick89
25th October 2013, 07:27 PM
Hahaha thinking the same thing

dads tractor
30th October 2013, 01:29 AM
Sent private pm

oncedisturbed
30th October 2013, 02:05 AM

I can pretty much tell you straight away that it will be the springs. I have OME (18 months old) on my patrol and just had the front springs changed to King Springs last week and no more knocking / clunking with anything like steering, potholes etc.

The springs for some reason become very weak very quickly at the top and bottom of the coils and in turn knock against itself. The test to confirm this with mine was using coil tape which stopped the knockin until the tape wore through in the test hence why the change over of the springs. ARB weren't any help to me over the past 18 months in fixing them with numerous attempts to find the fault even after I kept saying it was coming from the shocks / coil or shock tower itself.

Hodge
30th October 2013, 07:06 AM
Hey Cold, do you have coil spacers on the front by any chance? My mates land cruiser had an issue of similar symptoms as your self. He found it to be coil spacers wearing or something like that, allowing the spring to move around on some angles. I have spacers, fitted on my OME suspension, but haven't had that issue. Although my kit has only been in for 3 months or so.

threedogs
30th October 2013, 07:33 AM
X 2 with Hodge there is a rubber "gasket" on top of the coil very easy to dis lodge this off road,
Mine are gone/Dislodged and I'm looking at replacing them with 15mm coil spacers, [$60]
or I'll cut some Conveyor belt up I have and cable tie that to the top of the coil

Coldcomfort
30th October 2013, 05:18 PM
Have not picked the car up, but just got a email from dealer with service invoice and jobs sheet...

JOB DETAILS
JOB 2 NOISY STEERING .00
CHECK AND TIGHTEN ALL SUSPENION AND STEERING ON HOIST
CHECK ALL COMPOUNENTS FOR EXCESSIVE PLAY AND WEAR
ALL OK
ROADTEST VEHICLE AND FOUND NO ABNORMAL NOISE WHEN
TESTED

I bet they have not fixed it!!!

Coldcomfort
30th October 2013, 06:36 PM
Just drove home from dealer. I am cautiously optimistic that they have fixed the clunk.... No quibbles about OME suspension.......

BigRAWesty
30th October 2013, 07:43 PM
Ok, so what did Arb not do up??

Coldcomfort
30th October 2013, 09:16 PM
Ok, so what did Arb not do up??

Good question. As per usual I did not get to talk to the tech that did the work. Only the guy at the front desk that collects the money.

NP99
31st October 2013, 12:04 AM
So, your a pussy lover......??

Only a lot......