PDA

View Full Version : Factory Differential Lock

DRK
23rd October 2013, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone,

Wondering whether anyone can assist here. My 1993 GQ II Ti has a factory differential lock, with the switch in the dash. I noticed one day while driving that flicking the switch didn't cause the light to go off in the instrument panel. Does this mean that the locker is still in? Is there a way to make it go off - do I need to stop? Do I need to keep moving? Do I need to take it out of 4WD? Some people seem to suggest turning, so that the rear wheels aren't travelling at the same speed, otherwise the locker won't disengage if you keep driving straight.

I know people talk about the solenoid, but I'm not sure it's that: flicking the switch on makes the light come on immediately, it's getting it turned off that seems to be a bit funny.

Cheers,
David.

AB
23rd October 2013, 09:43 PM
Hi mate, first see if it actually does disengage when you flick the switch.

Get on to a dirt road, flick it on, take off slowly on full steering lock and you will hear the inner tyre grab and slip on the dirt, flick off and try again to hear the same sound or not.

Bulbous
24th October 2013, 04:13 PM
For normal driving on road this should be switched off. ALWAYS.
I've heard reports that OZ cars will only engage the Diff Lock in 4WD LO. In Hi all it does is cause the lamp to flash.
So select 4 LO and turn on the switch, the light will flash while the lock tries to engage. Allow the wheels to rotate, you may need to wiggle the steering a bit just to put a bit of flex into the drive train.
I think that the ABS light will also come on, because ABS is disabled automatically. (Can't remember cos I always pull my ABS fuse anyway)
When the lock engages the flashing light in the dash should stop flashing and illuminate. The annoying bleep will also sound every time you drive faster than about 10 KM/H.:mad:
To disengage, just switch it off again, and wait until the light goes off.

Now try again in 4 Hi just to see if it really does work. Mine does, but that may be a difference for Gulf Spec models.

WintonLad
30th October 2013, 07:26 AM
Abs on a 93 model? Think we might be talking about 2 different cars here...