PDA

View Full Version : Globes Globes LEDS

RedDragon
23rd October 2013, 11:25 AM
Ive got the wind up me about my Patrol, finding all this stuff I want to do.

Its the little things :)

Has anyone detailed all the globes in the car, wattage, list of globes, etc? Or is the a workshop manual thing?
Ive been hunting down leds on ebay and dx.com but so many choices, different strengths, coloured/not coloured, just gets downright confusing.

Would be great if there was some kinda standard, like 320lm, wattage, etc.
Buy this pack to replace everything for this make/model.

I mean, there is stuff like this .. which is pricey .. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-LED-Taillight-Globes-MQ-MK-GU-QU-1979-2005-Clear-White-Reverse-/281088081250?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417227bd62

Then you get the Chinese stuff, globe at a time, *sigh*
http://dx.com/c/car-accessories-799/car-lights-723/car-led-bulbs-712

This is gunna be a mission.

RedDragon
23rd October 2013, 12:25 PM
I also saw the Xmas tree post, now i have the wind up me about that too .. unfortunately mine are all brake lights .. but still ..

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 03:11 PM
Every globe in my Patrol is LED, love it
T10 are the small wedge and T20 are the larger wedge, front T20 need to have wires on both sides as its a dual filament.
Meaning its gets brighter when you put on your indicator.
Tip buy white globes for red reflector {brake}

RedDragon
23rd October 2013, 03:26 PM
Ok fantastic, ill look that up .. would be great if someone out there did complete replacement packs. The hard part is working out exaclty what i need.
That bottom left picture .. no less than 5 different types of globes there .. Seems i need to go to each globe, not the type, size, etc and then find replacements.

Any recommendations on where to purchase? Seems dx.com should be fine for these?

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 03:33 PM
The left side globes were different types I used in TJM bull bar, my reverse lights have 120 smd led per globe that's 2 on each side very bright in the bush
Tops I paid was $8 a globe been on the Patrol now for 3 years no probs. Be wary of the coloured ones especially amber, great at night not very good in daylight
You'll also need a LED relay for the indicators or 50 ohm resistors

RedDragon
23rd October 2013, 03:36 PM
Yea, couldnt really see a need for coloured lights as the plastic in the bumper should be sufficient. Not sure about the front tho. Ill spend the weekend tallying up and see where i end up, ta.

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 03:39 PM
Cool just yell out if you get stuck

Winnie
23rd October 2013, 03:46 PM
@THREEDOGS you'd be better off with this type of globe for your reverse light, much bright than the type you're showing. This is a 7W LED.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/10/108.jpg

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah like them but they have a cut off point like projector lights. I have them on my trailer very impressed
A few here have seen my reverse lights in action , as per previous pic

Winnie
23rd October 2013, 04:21 PM
They shouldn't have a cut off line, could be the housing you've got them in.

megatexture
23rd October 2013, 04:54 PM
If you have a bullbar these are a better option than replacing globes http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Bullbar-Indicator-and-Parker-Light-Clear-Lens-Suit-ARB-other-brands-175AW-/161063446954?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25802129aa&_uhb=1

RedDragon
23rd October 2013, 05:22 PM
@THREEDOGS you'd be better off with this type of globe for your reverse light, much bright than the type you're showing. This is a 7W LED.

Is there a standard on whats acceptable for leds? 7W for brakes/indicators/reverse? .. dont want to burn people's retina's out .. or have space agencies thinking im an alien spacecraft.

Winnie
23rd October 2013, 05:50 PM
7W is way too bright for a brake or indicator light

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 06:16 PM
my indicator and brake/park are 102 smd led. bright but not blinding IMO
My reverse are 120 smd led,
front park {white} are T20 68 smd led

Winnie
23rd October 2013, 06:47 PM
No point in saying how many LEDs are in them, it doesn't mean anything.

Irvs
23rd October 2013, 07:00 PM
I find them a bit harsh personally. I hate that really insipid white colour they tend to give off through the crystal reflectors but hey at least you'll have no dramas being seen

Clunk
24th October 2013, 02:05 AM
No point in saying how many LEDs are in them, it doesn't mean anything.

Not quite true there Winnie. From looking at alot of the listing on flea bay, It does kind of give you a bit of an indication that the more LEDs then the brighter the globes are but saying that, it isn't always true. So you are correct in a way. Alot of the listings unfortunately don't give you the wattage, some do. For example I've come across Ba15s with 50smd which are 1.8W, 120 smd which are 3W.
I've got the same 120smd LEDs as 3Dogs but only single arrangement on each side and they're a big improvement over the standard candle lit reversing globes.

I've just ordered the ones below to try out, so will advise how they go when they arrive.

NP99
24th October 2013, 02:21 AM
Keep searching ebay under led 1157 or 1156. Plenty of options to select from!

nissannewby
24th October 2013, 02:27 AM

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/10/108.jpg

I agree with Winnie. However if you have some sort of reflector setup in your light housings then the style 3d has work work pretty well, if no reflector they are terrible but still better than standard.

I have been able to compare the 2 styles in reverse positions on a ute, these are just a grey plastic housing (no reflector) with coloured lense. The style Winnie pictured eat the other style in this setup.

One of my led reverse lights would put out more light than all of the LEDs on 3d's car, they only have 9 LEDs in them but a very well designed magnifier. Though these are $900 a pop

Clunk
24th October 2013, 02:37 AM
One of my led reverse lights would put out more light than all of the LEDs on 3d's car, they only have 9 LEDs in them but a very well designed magnifier. Though these are $900 a pop

Got a link? Would love to see some fotas of them in use mate.

threedogs
24th October 2013, 08:08 AM
Again I'm happy with the output of my globes and I'm sure there are heaps of brighter options available
@ $900 no way I would be buying them ,but interested in seeing what they look like. LED technology has come along in leaps and bounds over the last year or so.
My globes are 3 years old now and if I come across a suitable replacement at the right price I'd certainly be looking at them, but for now I'm happy

portal pat
2nd November 2013, 04:46 PM
Every globe in my Patrol is LED, love it
T10 are the small wedge and T20 are the larger wedge, front T20 need to have wires on both sides as its a dual filament.
Meaning its gets brighter when you put on your indicator.
Tip buy white globes for red reflector {brake}

If that be the case that every globe is LED, what quantity, type and lumens are dash lights mate?

threedogs
2nd November 2013, 04:56 PM
Im just waiting on my white face instrument dials to arrive then with the dash out I'll be fitting T10 red led's
Mudski has blue fitted , looks great b but I was told red is easier on the eyes at night,
T10 are small wedge style same on the side of your front guards like these, dash are different
You can buy a pkt of 10 on Ebay for $2-$3 very affordable no idea on lumens but have a dimmer if too bright.
@ Winnie a bit late but any of the leds with that magnified end on them have a cut off point exactly like projector lights
Even my camp lights are the same I brought magnified lens for them and ended up throwing them in the Murray as they shortened the beam
as you can see from my box of globes I just haven't brought one and said that's great, I've tried heaps of different globes trying to get the brightest globe I can to my liking. only one I had trouble with was the amber front indicator, found heaps of amber led globes that are great at night but useless during the day, more searching required but ATM I cant be bothered

Clunk
10th November 2013, 09:26 PM
Hey TD, did you have any issues with your rear tail/brake replacement LEDs........ The ones in my previous post turned up but I ordered the ones with the Bay15d bayonet instead of Ba15s so obviously can't use them for reverse. So was gonna use the as my tail /brake instead but the only come on when braking and not when I switch the lights on. Not sure if i need to get a couple of load resistors to get them working....... Any ideas?

Clunk
11th November 2013, 05:12 PM
Hey TD, did you have any issues with your rear tail/brake replacement LEDs........ The ones in my previous post turned up but I ordered the ones with the Bay15d bayonet instead of Ba15s so obviously can't use them for reverse. So was gonna use the as my tail /brake instead but the only come on when braking and not when I switch the lights on. Not sure if i need to get a couple of load resistors to get them working....... Any ideas?

Bump for TD, or anyone who knows

Parksy
11th November 2013, 05:20 PM
Maybe spray some inox into the holder and work the spring inside by pushing the contacts into the housing, making sure it springs back.

Drewboyaus
11th November 2013, 05:41 PM

I'm no expert in this subject but I would think you are not running the equivalent of your tail lights in those globes.
As I remember the tail/brake light lens has two contacts, one to activate the tail lights, one for the brake lights.
Does the one you installed have the two contacts?

Clunk
11th November 2013, 07:35 PM
Maybe spray some inox into the holder and work the spring inside by pushing the contacts into the housing, making sure it springs back.

its all clean mate, first thing I always do

Clunk
11th November 2013, 07:41 PM
I'm no expert in this subject but I would think you are not running the equivalent of your tail lights in those globes.
As I remember the tail/brake light lens has two contacts, one to activate the tail lights, one for the brake lights.
Does the one you installed have the two contacts?

definitely the correct ones, bayonet with 2 contacts and the lugs are of unequal distance from the base. Picture below shows the difference between all 3, BA15S, BA15D & BAY15D

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/35.jpg

Drewboyaus
11th November 2013, 09:03 PM
Can you check each contact with a test lead? Seems a bit weird. I thought they were a straight swap and it was just the indicators that needed a relay/inline resistor.....

Clunk
11th November 2013, 09:14 PM
Can you check each contact with a test lead? Seems a bit weird. I thought they were a straight swap and it was just the indicators that needed a relay/inline resistor.....
I was also under the impression that they were just a straight swap.
Just had an email back from the supplier, he seems to think that I may need a load resistor due to the lack of load but it's weird how they work perfectly when applying the brake but not the tail lights. Should probably check the orientation of the contacts compared to the normal globes.

megatexture
11th November 2013, 09:22 PM
I think I had a similar issue with the barn door light i got the wrong globe and i had to swap the polarity around as it was opposite just test the light that the plug and globe match polarity

nissannewby
11th November 2013, 09:28 PM
I was also under the impression that they were just a straight swap.
Just had an email back from the supplier, he seems to think that I may need a load resistor due to the lack of load but it's weird how they work perfectly when applying the brake but not the tail lights. Should probably check the orientation of the contacts compared to the normal globes.

I had the same it's because they use the same earth. You need a load resistor or led specific flasher can.

Clunk
11th November 2013, 09:37 PM
I had the same it's because they use the same earth. You need a load resistor or led specific flasher can.

Thanks Matty, now the next question is..... Should I stick to 21W load resistors because that's the wattage of a normal globe or up them to the 50W jobbies due to the heat that load resistors generate? Finding alot more of the 50W on eBay than 21W......

nissannewby
11th November 2013, 10:22 PM
I think the 50 ones are the normal ones used.

shmittens
28th May 2017, 02:25 PM

Hi TD .. I've been looking for a park light replacement globe the same as the one in my GQ at the moment, but am having no luck. I think it's the factory globe. Will post a photo shortly. If I can't find it, I'll follow your suggestion here. Does the T20 68 smd led fit just the same or are there adjustments required to make it work?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks

shmittens
28th May 2017, 02:31 PM

Just realised I couldn't edit my previous post to add the photo.

Here is a photo of my current globe:

threedogs
28th May 2017, 02:35 PM
shmittens bit going on lately but the indicators in the guards are T10
Your parkers in the headlights are T20 and have 2 wires going each side of the wedge.
I used 50ohm resisistors on all for corners on the indicators.
TIP use white globes behind red and amber lens's.
When I re wired my rear dummy lights each LED I used had 120 led in each globe
re problems reversing out bush,there are 480 smd led'd in my reverse lights alone
I drive a GU

shmittens
28th May 2017, 02:53 PM
shmittens bit going on lately but the indicators in the guards are T10
Your parkers in the headlights are T20 and have 2 wires going each side of the wedge.
I used 50ohm resisistors on all for corners on the indicators.
TIP use white globes behind red and amber lens's.
When I re wired my rear dummy lights each LED I used had 120 led in each globe
re problems reversing out bush,there are 480 smd led'd in my reverse lights alone
I drive a GU

Ok thanks. I've got no experience/knowledge when it comes to this stuff, so it seems finding a halogen globe is the simplest option. If I use the T20 do I need an adaptor of some sort for it to work?

threedogs
28th May 2017, 03:00 PM
simple answer is no well I didnt use anything. Had them fitted now since 2009
and not once had trouble ever, I also changed my bullbar bar indicator/park
to fully sealed LED a common upgrade

Not sure if the GQ parkers go brighter when you put the indicator on
maybe Winnie or @clunck may be able to fill in the blanks for you
Havent done the dash yet I want them red but Ive changed the top middle interior to a brite lites led
red/white interior led love it , Been meaning to fit some red foot well led as well, plenty to do an no
time to do it or the weather is crap

threedogs
28th May 2017, 03:11 PM
I think I had a similar issue with the barn door light i got the wrong globe and i had to swap the polarity around as it was opposite just test the light that the plug and globe match polarity

Bit late but T10 and T20 will only work one way,,, even though they'll fit both ways

shmittens
28th May 2017, 03:18 PM
Your info allowed me to find the halogen replacement online. Thanks a lot for that! ... Step one for transferring rego from Vic to NSW (blue slip failed) .. Steps two and three - Brakes and LPG inspection (I run gas only and has expired) ... Leave those for the pros .. bit jittery about cost. Will have to sell if excessive!

threedogs
28th May 2017, 03:25 PM
Have a search there make be a thread on the cost of getting a lpg tank tested
My son is up Surfers atm Ive txt him he may know $$$ approx

shmittens
12th June 2017, 07:21 PM
threedogs As it turned out, the halogen lights I bought (on ebay) were the wrong size (T20). The seller didn't have T10 halogen so he sent me the LED equivalent instead. I've installed the LEDs now and they work fine. Looks a bit odd having LED parking light next to halogen headlight, but does the job. Taking Patrol in for repairs (for blue slip) tomorrow, but at the same time inspecting a 1999 WX Pathfinder tomorrow afternoon. I suspect we will be selling the Patrol and possibly buying the Pathfinder. Alternatively, we might be moving away from the 4WD altogether and sticking to something more "economical".