PDA

View Full Version : 08 CRD rough idle just after start.

Beni C
22nd October 2013, 03:09 PM
One for the CRD owners, bit bizarre I think but hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

Scenario: In the morning start her up, runs fine. Engine temp usually starts off around 15 degs, let her get up to about 35ish (I’m always running late) head off to the traino, literally 5 mins from my house, park her up, engine temp is around 70ish. Jump on the train off to work.

In the arvo heading home start her up, engine temp around 20-25deg depending on day time temp, starts straight up, then rough idle like she is gona stall, give her some gas, nice puff of black smoke and then she runs fine. 5mins back home park her up for the night and in the morning she starts perfect again.

Does anyone have a clue why this happening? This is the only time it happens and she does it every day without fail!

I did have a problem with air in the fuel lines but that’s all sorted, I would think the black smoke means unburnt diesel so maybe the glow plugs?

She is an 08 CRD with 107000 on the clock.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Winnie
22nd October 2013, 03:31 PM
To check if it's the glow plugs, turn the key on and wait for the glow light to go out, then turn it off and repeat that a couple of times. Should warm the plugs up plenty enough.
But if it were the plugs you would think that the colder starts would be worse?

happygu
22nd October 2013, 07:24 PM
Beni,

It does sound like Glow Plugs, and that would be the first thing to check.

Mic

Beni C
23rd October 2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys, it does seem a bit bizarre though that it only happens in the arvo and not first thing in the morning or in any other situation.

I also have another theroy and let me know if it sounds ridiculous and that is that the battery could be on the way out. So after a short run the battery is not holding enough charge to fire the glow plugs properly or for long enough.

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 02:31 PM
Battery is easy enough to check , go to a battery place and the will load it up for you.
saying that what about your alternator no charging the battery at 13.8.
How old is the battery does it have that bubble condition indicator on it??

Winnie
23rd October 2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys, it does seem a bit bizarre though that it only happens in the arvo and not first thing in the morning or in any other situation.

I also have another theroy and let me know if it sounds ridiculous and that is that the battery could be on the way out. So after a short run the battery is not holding enough charge to fire the glow plugs properly or for long enough.

I would think that if that were the case then the battery would not have enough charge to turn the motor over, and it would do the same thing if not worse when you start first thing in the morning.

Beni C
23rd October 2013, 03:18 PM
The battery as far as I can tell is the original so could be on the way out. TD the Scanguage is telling me the battey is getting good charge (14.3) so that why I suspect it may be that battery is not holding charge so the short run is killing it. I will chuck the multimeter in the car tomorrow and test it.

Looks like its going to be a trouble shooting fest!!

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 03:25 PM
That's makes the battery 5 years old , that's a good Run maybe buy another now as it may fail at any time.
Use it for camp lighting or such. a friend of mine changes batteries every 2 years regardless of condition,
he never worries if any battery will fail . Clean the battery tray and give new battery posts a twist with scotch brite pad then some
battery terminal spray. Hopefully this should resolve any probs

happygu
23rd October 2013, 04:00 PM
The battery as far as I can tell is the original so could be on the way out. TD the Scanguage is telling me the battey is getting good charge (14.3) so that why I suspect it may be that battery is not holding charge so the short run is killing it. I will chuck the multimeter in the car tomorrow and test it.

Looks like its going to be a trouble shooting fest!!

The original batteries do seem to last a long time, but at 5 years, it must be getting closer to the end.

A battery load test should let you know soon enough anyway.

Mic

boots
23rd October 2013, 09:15 PM
Have you cleaned your MAF sensor lately ? I don't reckon its glow plugs or battery . If you need to use your glow plugs to assist start up in spring time then your in a hole world of heartache > this just should not be necessary . when was the fuel filter replaced ? No I am not a CRD owner I am a DI owner for the record .

Beni C
24th October 2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys, got a few things to look out for, I did take the MAF out but it doesnt seem to be dirty. Will get the battery load tested over the weekend to see how its performing.