PDA

View Full Version : First time Patrol owner from Brissie!

Strugs
22nd October 2013, 12:04 PM
G'day Patrollers.

Just bought a white 2003 GU III ST, 4cyl, 3L, 150,000kms, manual diesel with a 2 inch lift. Had her for 1 week and so far I'm loving it. Really looking forward to taking it for a drive along the beach on Bribie soon. :icon_driving:

I've done a little beach driving in my time (in a mate's 4x4), but I'm very new to this as well as excited.

My Patrol has an ARB compressor diff lock for the front wheels (not sure if that was fitted by previous owner or comes standard). I've been doing research on a few 4x4 websites regarding when to switch diff locks on and also when to engage 4x4, but there's a lot of inconsistencies among them.

Am I correct in assuming that I engage 4x4 while the vehicle is stationary? And the same for the diff locks, perhaps with a slow roll forward to allow to click/lock in?

Any advice for a dummy would be appreciated and I look forward to joining in the discussions!

p.s Please don't mock me for any incorrect terminology in the above message :icon_bonk:

Avo
22nd October 2013, 12:54 PM
welcome Strugs,glad to have you here mate,great forum with good advice and great info.

As for the engaging 4x4.I think you'll be right going into high range while moving slowly,but I would stop to put it into low range mate.Can't help you diff locks as I have never had them..Good to see your keen to get out there..while your learning try and stay above the high tide mark mate if your down the beach..

Cheers

Strugs
22nd October 2013, 01:44 PM
Hey, thanks wa 489. Appreciate the advice and the warm welcome. I'm sure someone will be able to help with the diff lock question.

Cheers bud

threedogs
22nd October 2013, 02:08 PM
Hello Strugs and welcome to the Forum,
Jump in anytime and enjoy

As for your Diff lock engage it before you reach the Knarly stuff,
Keep revs around 1800rpm , should see you go most places.
Your driving style should change heaps as now you can virtually idle any where

Strugs
22nd October 2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks threedogs! Gotchya.

sickshorty
22nd October 2013, 03:17 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. IMO Id pull over to engage any form of 4wd selection. In saying that I have seen a "shift on the fly" 4wd system that allows you to engage 4high at up to 80km/h. Enjoyy the forum mate

sickshorty
22nd October 2013, 03:18 PM
Btw the "shift on the fly" was in a jeep wrangler

Strugs
22nd October 2013, 03:54 PM
Cheers mate. Yeah, I think I'll remain stationary when engaging 4x4. Couldn't image doin' that at 80km/h! LOL :jawdrop:

growler2058
22nd October 2013, 05:47 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard
You can engage 4wd high on the move no worries but not low. Need to make sure your hubs are locked though

rodneyb81
22nd October 2013, 06:51 PM
Hi mate welcome to the forum and patrol ownership I have just recently got back into one to I am in forest lake not sure where your located but keen to do some trips if your interested.... I have also joined the Nissan Patrol club they meet at mt gravatt the 3rd Monday of the month... Got the wife and three year old to tag along too... Good luck with your 4x4

happygu
22nd October 2013, 08:07 PM
Welcome Strugs,

Here is a bit of info for you.....

Diff Lock in the front will be aftermarket, and most probably an ARB Airlocker.

You will have AUTO Hubs as standard in the front which means you can change into 4High ( 4H ) from 2 Wheel Drive in speeds up to 80 Kph, but I always like to slow right down.

You need to stop to move to 4Low ( 4L ).

If you still have the factory Hubs, it is possible to go four wheel driving in the AUTO mode as AUTO will lock the hubs with the drive from the transfer case in 4 wheel drive mode and and unlock automatically when you go back to 2WD and reverse a metre or two, but you can also put them in LOCK to ensure that the wheels will always stay in 4WD no matter if you are going forwards or backwards. The hubs can unlock in reverse if left in the AUTO position, which can be a problem in some of the muddier and steeper stuff.

Mic

trekster
22nd October 2013, 09:18 PM
G'day and welcome to the best patrol forum around! Make sure to post up some pics of your beast in the members ride section ;)

Members Rides (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?43-Members-Rides)

This thread has alot of useful threads linked
(http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?16195-GC-Index-to-useful-threads)

Some mechanical threads that may be of interest:

Why Diesels Smoke (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12450-Why-Diesels-Smoke)

Checking and cleaning MAF sensors (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?597-Checking-and-cleaning-MAF-sensors)

NADS discussion (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5526-Snicko-doing-the-NADS)

Recovery and safety!

Recovery Bible (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?13556-Recovery-Bible)

Towballs are not recovery points (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5725-Tow-balls-are-not-to-be-used-as-recovery-points)

Recovery: The Fundamentals (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1984-Recovery-The-Fundamentals)

and lastly this should be read and passed on to anyone that is not aware of the fact

Deaths from towballs (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11239-Deaths-from-towballs)

Last but not least enjoy the forum and everything it has to offer, Don't be afraid to ask questions as we are all here to help each other out!

Cheers,
Eric.

Dhuck
22nd October 2013, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

my third 256
23rd October 2013, 08:09 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

Strugs
23rd October 2013, 09:23 AM
Welcome Strugs,

Here is a bit of info for you.....

Diff Lock in the front will be aftermarket, and most probably an ARB Airlocker.

You will have AUTO Hubs as standard in the front which means you can change into 4High ( 4H ) from 2 Wheel Drive in speeds up to 80 Kph, but I always like to slow right down.

You need to stop to move to 4Low ( 4L ).

If you still have the factory Hubs, it is possible to go four wheel driving in the AUTO mode as AUTO will lock the hubs with the drive from the transfer case in 4 wheel drive mode and and unlock automatically when you go back to 2WD and reverse a metre or two, but you can also put them in LOCK to ensure that the wheels will always stay in 4WD no matter if you are going forwards or backwards. The hubs can unlock in reverse if left in the AUTO position, which can be a problem in some of the muddier and steeper stuff.

Mic

Thanks everyone! Good vibes on here. I'll most certainly check out those safety and information links prior to hitting the beach.

Hey happygtu - Yep, I have the AUTO hubs on the front and after going through the manual, I now realise that they lock automatically when engaging into 4x4. Will the hubs always unlock in 4x4 reverse, or does that just sometimes happen?

I do also have the ARB airlocker fitted and there's an air compressor under the bonnet. This could be my first stupid question, but am I able to hook up an air compressor hose to inflate and deflate my tyres?

I'll take a few photos and post them up later this week. She is a beast!

Strugs
23rd October 2013, 09:48 AM
Hi mate welcome to the forum and patrol ownership I have just recently got back into one to I am in forest lake not sure where your located but keen to do some trips if your interested.... I have also joined the Nissan Patrol club they meet at mt gravatt the 3rd Monday of the month... Got the wife and three year old to tag along too... Good luck with your 4x4

G'day Rodneyb81 - I'm on the northside. I would be keen to look into joining the Patrol Club, but Mondays would be a bit tough to manage for me. Once I get ta few off road drives under my belt, I'll let ya know. Cheers man.

BigRAWesty
5th November 2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone! Good vibes on here. I'll most certainly check out those safety and information links prior to hitting the beach.

Hey happygtu - Yep, I have the AUTO hubs on the front and after going through the manual, I now realise that they lock automatically when engaging into 4x4. Will the hubs always unlock in 4x4 reverse, or does that just sometimes happen?

I do also have the ARB airlocker fitted and there's an air compressor under the bonnet. This could be my first stupid question, but am I able to hook up an air compressor hose to inflate and deflate my tyres?

I'll take a few photos and post them up later this week. She is a beast!

Welcome mate. Congrats on the purchase.
As others have noted you can change from H2 to H4 on the Fly (whilst driving) up to around 60kph. This stated by Nissan. But many safely shift up to 80kph.

Your lokka should be used as little as possible. And I'd suggest holding off on using it until you get to know the car and Its abilities. But also if you need to engage the lokka try not to turn tight circles as it puts huge strain on the front drive axles.

But for your compressor, go nuts. Pic a spare hole on the compressor, add a tank if you like to gain a little more air storage.

My best advice is to jump on Google and read some how to tutorials On the aircompressor and lokka..

Anyway, jump in and enjoy.
Cheers

gio140084
5th November 2013, 11:51 PM
Welcome to the forum!

rodneyb81
7th November 2013, 03:14 PM
G'day Rodneyb81 - I'm on the northside. I would be keen to look into joining the Patrol Club, but Mondays would be a bit tough to manage for me. Once I get ta few off road drives under my belt, I'll let ya know. Cheers man.

Hey most of my family is on the north side too moved to the south when I returned from Melbourne few years back. My brother is in the Queensland 4x4 club they meet on a Friday night in narangba been on a few trip really nice group check out there website http://www.queensland4x4club.org.au all clubs should have in house training courses which is really good experience building

Rodney