PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

dirtygu
22nd October 2013, 11:16 AM
Anyone on here running a single mass flywheel on there zd30 thinking of changing mine but dont know if I should have heard I will loose torqe

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 04:51 PM
How's that mate?? All a clutch does is transfer power from engine to gear box. Wether dual or single mass itll do the same job. Unless Its slipping..
A torque converter in and auto will loose a little torque as its made to slip.

dirtygu
25th October 2013, 12:09 AM
Yeah thats what I thought but a few guys have told me that a dual mass stops the vibration from the engine and keep the clutch turning at a constant speed but a single mass will make it turn fast or slower and make the car shake more means the eingine would spin more freely making it rev better but have less torqe I dont get it but yeah was thinking about going single as its less that half the price

On another note how much meat is normaly on a clutch when new

SupRob
25th October 2013, 09:41 AM
To upgrade to single mass would be more expensive to start off with as you would need a kit with the single mass,

Clutch kit prices are the same, duel mass and single, same kit

Just measured a STD side to side is 8.52mm

Rob,

dirtygu
25th October 2013, 12:41 PM
Its actually cheaper to go single mass as the duel mass can not b machined and is $1800 just for the flywheel but I can get a complete single mass kit for $1000

y61patrol
28th October 2013, 08:25 AM
Just did the clutch on mine, the fifth in 70,000 kilns .

My flywheel was scorched with a small scratch and just save able,fit a single mass mate.

It may cause more judder and won't be as smooth but if you bugger it at least you can machine it.

my third 256
28th October 2013, 09:05 AM
here is some info I got on these and some interesting points about modifying motor for more grunt and to change to solid mass
Dual mass flywheels are found today in many passenger and light commercial vehicles.

With modern engines making more power at less revs than what they were a decade ago, the intention of the dual mass flywheel is to reduce some of the engine pulsing especially at low rpm hi load conditions.

Typically Dual Mass Flywheels work by having a set of springs inserted between two rotating masses (thus dual mass). The springs are sized to soak up some of the resonant engine pulsing from for example a diesel engine hi under load low rpm conditions..

Dual mass flywheels work fine as long as the engine remains unmodified and the vehicle is not used beyond manufacturer’s recommendation..

Should the vehicles power output be increased or the vehicle is loaded or raced beyond the manufacturers design parameters, you will often see premature failure of the dual mass flywheel. Dual mass flywheels are tuned systems and must be matched to the engine torque curve, engine resonant characteristics and vehicle load conditions.

Due to the hollow make up of the Dual mass flywheel, the rear mass is often very thin lowering its ability to absorb heat, making them more prone to warping, not to mention rapid over heat of the clutch disc, especially in the instanced where some clutch slip is unavoidable in situations such as backing a caravan or boat into position or into the shed etc. Engaging the clutch at high revs or with heavy loads , will also see premature failure of a dual mass flywheel . There are also very limited heavy duty clutch options that will actually bolt to DMF flywheels

So at Direct Clutch we offer a large range of Dual Mass to Solid Mass conversion..

The down side in removal of the DMF is it may see an increase gear train rattle especially at low engine speed under hi load conditions. A Dual mass flywheel system usually spoils us all in allowing the vehicle to remain smooth when exiting a roundabout in 3rd gear at 40km an hour (rather than changing back to 2nd) or allows us to think the vehicle is fine towing up a hill in 4th or 5th gear at 60-80kmh, when in actual fact the DMF system is usually working overtime in allowing the vehicle to remain smooth.

Once a SMF system is fitted we will nearly always see an increase in drive train noise.. The reality is we may have to make a driving style change in keeping the engine above the say 2000 rpm rather than letting it labor at 1500, especially in the higher gears

Benefits of an SMF is its an single heavy piece of metal (often billet steel) it has a greater heat capacity than the DMF and therefore can absorb more heat, meaning that the clutch is less likely to overheat

Once an SMF system is fitted we see a far wider range of heavier duty clutch options. The Solid Mass Flywheel can be resurfaced many times over. The initial cost of the SMF conversion is often significantly less cost than the replacement cost of a DMF system.