PDA

View Full Version : zd30 Blowing black smoke and no boost

pbk1776
22nd October 2013, 08:42 AM
Hi All

Firstly I've done a lot of research however nothing came up across to what my 2000 GU with ZD30 currently experiencing. Hence I am creating this thread.

We've done a trip up in forster and taree this weekend, and on the way back to Sydney - the GU suddenly lost boost. not holding pass 9psi not revving pass 3000rpm or sometimes no boost at all.
When no boost a lot of black smoke at the rear but with boost even 4-5psi smoke disappears.

So got home checked all IC hoses and I cannot find any crack or loose hose. I checked the actuator from the turbo it moves up and down, not a problem. I checked reservoir again can't fault it - however I can see some black stuff built up under the intercooler and above of the engine, will this be the cause of the issue? a leaky IC?

Engine details
1. 240,000kms
2. 3" dump and full exhaust
3. Only have boost gauge - nads and dawes not yet installed.
4. DPchip set to 5
5. MAF cleaned but I am thinking of replacing it SOON.

Hopefully someone can help me and fix this - and also where to get an IC around Sydney for replacement.

BR
Raf

kevin07
22nd October 2013, 10:59 AM
check out diesel smart in the vendors section I believe they have a good one at a fair price

Winnie
22nd October 2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah I would say either a fault with the turbo or you have a boost leak somewhere.
That black smoke is going to happen if you've got no boost, with no boost you are depriving the engine of air and so a lot of unburned diesel is running through in the form of black smoke. I wouldn't worry so much about the black smoke but if you get the boost issue sorted then it should go away too.

pbk1776
22nd October 2013, 11:07 AM
Yeah I would say either a fault with the turbo or you have a boost leak somewhere.
That black smoke is going to happen if you've got no boost, with no boost you are depriving the engine of air and so a lot of unburned diesel is running through in the form of black smoke. I wouldn't worry so much about the black smoke but if you get the boost issue sorted then it should go away too.

Yeah seems to be a boost issue - hopefully not a stuff turbo - but when I checked it yesterday I can see a lot of black stains built up under the IC and spread a bit over the engine
so I am leaning towards of leaky IC -

anyone know where to get an IC in Sydney area?

Sir Roofy
22nd October 2013, 11:08 AM
A blown ic will not help your cause replace it
sorry have no idea where you can get one in
sydney

threedogs
22nd October 2013, 02:35 PM
Diesel Smart have the best tigged welded value for money Intercooler on the market IMO.
Pressure tested and a good warranty.

That blue hose in pic blew off and clouds of black smoke and no power, easy fix though

really should start thinking about fitting NADS to your Patrol, great peace of mind

pbk1776
22nd October 2013, 02:45 PM
Diesel Smart have the best tigged welded value for money Intercooler on the market IMO.
Pressure tested and a good warranty.

That blue hose in pic blew off and clouds of black smoke and no power, easy fix though

really should start thinking about fitting NADS to your Patrol, great peace of mind

Thanks I will be re-checking it tonight and order the IC sometime tonight as well

also might change the MAF and order my dawes - this is a wake up call to me

In addition - mate where is the VNT or RESERVOIR in your picture? the hose that
connects to the actuator and to the small cylinder on side of IC?

threedogs
22nd October 2013, 02:58 PM
Turbo just below blue hose , These are vacuum operated turbos.
Check Chaz yellowfoot in the archives He's an Guru on the ZD30,
Heaps of pictures on how to set up NADS and needle valve , highly recommend reading it

Not sure where MUDSKI is lately but pop him a PM and he'll be able to sort out your NADS
Not sure what you mean by reservoir But catch can you require is the PROVENT 200 which seems to be the popular choice.

If you're up to it you could remove and clean the IC ,Dry with a hair dryer before re fitting,
Tape up the outlets and pump a bit of air in that will tell how bad its leaking
If it leaks you cant hold boost eh.

Clean the MAF get some MAF cleaner from super cheap auto, or Jaycar Electronics
That may well be your problem, a dirty MAF

pbk1776
22nd October 2013, 03:02 PM
Turbo just below blue hose , These are vacuum operated turbos.
Check Chaz yellowfoot in the archives He's an Guru on the ZD30,
Heaps of pictures on how to set op NADS and needle valve , highly recommend reading it

Not sure where MUDSKI is lately but pop him a PM and he'll be able to sort out your NADS
Not sure what you mean by reservoir But cath can you require is the PROVENT 200 which seems to be the popular choice.

If you're up to it you could remove and clean the IC ,Dry with a hair dryer before re fitting,
Tape up the outlets and pump a bit of air in that will tell how bad its leaking
If it leaks you cant hold boost eh.

Clean the MAF get some MAF cleaner from super cheap auto, or Jaycar Electronics
That may well be your problem, a dirty MAF

wheres your reservoir that connects from the Turbo Actuator?

threedogs
22nd October 2013, 05:25 PM
Early models had a vacuum canister under the engine cover, but clean your MAF first ,
might return some power

Steve4wdin
22nd October 2013, 06:07 PM
Where abouts in Sydney are you. I have had dealings with Diesel Smart, and they are shit hot. They have an agent over Huntingwood way, if you are interested I can put you in contact. I bought my chip from them and the service was second to none. Hope it all works out for you
Steve

pbk1776
22nd October 2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks fellas

I basically removed everything this afternoon one of the hoses had raptured bad and will replace this tomorrow

happygu
22nd October 2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks fellas

I basically removed everything this afternoon one of the hoses had raptured bad and will replace this tomorrow

That will do it ... good result

Mic

threedogs
23rd October 2013, 08:24 AM
Good to hear so hopefully a cheap fix, well done
You may want to use constant pressure clamps they are wider than OE clamps
and grip all the way around bit pricey but worth it IMO