PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the tops out of 205litre (44 Galon) 60...thats had flammable material in it.

sil3nt_dr3ams
21st October 2013, 02:56 AM
Drums can be handy items to have in the workshop for a number of reasons. If you do take the bungs out and completely fill them with water until they are overflowing. Grab an arc welder crank the setting out to max and use preferably 1.2-2.5 welding rods . Scratch a bit of the paint of doesn't matter if the metal is wet strike an arc and follow the rim around blowing the steel out. It's effortless and works very well for stainless beer kegs. Most people probably already know this but it doesn't hurt to bring this topic up as there have been serious accidents over the years.

BigRAWesty
21st October 2013, 09:06 AM
I always add soapy liquid to the tank before filling, it keeps the bad stuff floating better.
Also a good chisel and hammer goes well

threedogs
21st October 2013, 01:03 PM
Good info as some might not think you can cut with an Arc welder
Might get you out of the pooh one day

Alitis007
21st October 2013, 01:53 PM
I use a pneumatic chisel to cut the top off drums that way there is no sparks to ignite whatever was in them.

BigRAWesty
21st October 2013, 05:26 PM
I use a pneumatic chisel to cut the top off drums that way there is no sparks to ignite whatever was in them.

So you think.. Don't need sparks, just a nice hot spot..
Gotta be so careful

NP99
23rd October 2013, 12:08 AM
Oil drums, I just use the 5" angle grinder.

Avo
23rd October 2013, 12:36 AM
fill it with exhaust gas,No oxygen..is this safe?

my third 256
23rd October 2013, 07:08 AM
don know but not safe for you as you will be breathing the exhaust fumes in yourself

BigRAWesty
23rd October 2013, 08:06 AM
don know but not safe for you as you will be breathing the exhaust fumes in yourself

x2. .......

taslucas
23rd October 2013, 08:41 AM
fill it with exhaust gas,No oxygen..is this safe?

And if it's out of a TB42s there'll be a litre or two of petrol in there too lol

Bloodyaussie
23rd October 2013, 08:46 AM
We would cut hundreds of filler caps off motorcycle tanks for the custom car guys to use in there hot rods and we just filled them with water and used an angle grinder.... never once had a fire.

Now there was one guy that worked with us and on no more than 3 occasions did he use an angle grinder next to the parts washer and boom..... big fire, bloody dopey prick.