PDA

View Full Version : Buying a GU 4, first 4x4. What to problems to look for?

nexusfiah
20th October 2013, 05:29 PM
Gday all,
Have had a look around the site but have not been able to answer my questions.

I am looking at picking up a 2005 GU4 patrol from one of my wifes colleagues who has offered it at a very reasonable. Only has 160k and has been predominantly used to drag a 2000kg horse float around for his daughters, no actual 4x4ing and no engine problems so far.
As im a uni student, i have excessive time to spend procrastinating on things that are not study related and have read extensively on the issues surrounding this era of patrol (Eg, engine go boom boom), which is why im here.

I was wondering if there is anything indicators or anything i can quickly pull off and have a squiz at once around the corner on a test drive to see if this car is in the preliminary stages of having problems? I have read that the blow up problems were predominantly around the 2000-03, with the major causes of these problems being ironed out in 2004 and more so in 2005. While there is talk of blow ups in later models, the factory cant do bugger all about mechanical neglect.

I know these patrols are a point of contention, but im looking for constructive advice rather than "narr, they fu**ed as ay!" as ill be picking it up if i cant see signs of damage.

Ill be following this dudes advice regarding safeguards as this is the most common sense advice I have read so far.
http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/zd30_engine_problems.htm

Cheers,
Rowan.

93patrol
20th October 2013, 05:50 PM
great start mate but if you move this to to intro thread you'll get a quicker reponse and its just something we ask all new people to do as it helps us keep track of new members.
unfortunately i cant help as i own a GQ which in my opinion is fair superior than the newer GU

kevin07
20th October 2013, 05:56 PM
I feel if your a novice on motors you need to get in it and drive it and pump it and see how the power feels and what smoke is coming if any then test drive another if that has been flogged it will be a real slug but also remember its a 3 litre in a big car so its not quick but you will definitely feel a flogged out motor or turbo.kev

Yendor
20th October 2013, 06:02 PM
Wow a uni student with "excessive time" and "had a look around the site" but still didn't follow the forum rules and post an intro before asking questions.

You haven't even stated what engine is in the vehicle.

You are asking about a vehicle that is 8 years old, what are you hoping to hear? a % fail rate?

First Patrol
20th October 2013, 08:41 PM
There is plenty of info here on the grenade motors mate that's what put me off buying one! Lol. Keep looking round you will see what you need to know
Cheers

NP99
20th October 2013, 10:11 PM
Floating for the majority of Ks would concern me.

Drew
21st October 2013, 08:08 AM
Wow a uni student with "excessive time" and "had a look around the site" but still didn't follow the forum rules and post an intro before asking questions.

You haven't even stated what engine is in the vehicle.

You are asking about a vehicle that is 8 years old, what are you hoping to hear? a % fail rate?

Aw yendor you're being a bit harsh, Generation ME is all about gimme gimme gimme. ;)

At least he's smart enough to go for a patrol and not dumb down to a yota :)

Keep looking bud and then If there are any questions uncle yendor might answer them ;):):)

“The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.” - Albert Einstein

BigRAWesty
21st October 2013, 08:28 AM
Welcome mate. That's was a pretty good intro just in the wrong section. One of the mods will help move it if asked.
Anyway you've done well on the research so far. Start reading up about NADS if it's a 3ltr. If they have any of the setup fitted it would be a help.
As one of the others said I personally would pass on the 3ltr And hold Off for a 4,2ltr turbo. You'll pay a little extra, but have a bullet proof car.
Or the 2.8 engines are ok. A little hit and miss, and not really built for towing, but a're cheaper and pretty efficient..
In the end its a second hand car. They all have issues eventually, just how long and how much $$$ to repair..
Enjoy the site and the hunt mate.
Cheers

threedogs
21st October 2013, 02:36 PM
M2cW is if the intercooler is oily, then its leaking factor in $500-$1300 to fix depending which IC you choose.
Also you'll need to NADS it for piece of mind and longevity,

nexusfiah
21st October 2013, 07:17 PM
If a mod will move this ill appreciate it. I dont want to upset people...

Cheers 3 Dogs. I was thinking along those lines. Was tempted to pop the intercooler off the inlet manifold and see if the inlets are clogged with black sludge.

Yendor, thanks for the helpful info mate. The info i was looking for was is there any external signs i can look for that may hint at the dreaded ZD30 grenade syndrome. Pehaps i should have rephrased my question slightly. Will getting a compression test help tell me if the heads are slightly cracked?, will holding it at 4500rpm up a hill make the engine detonate and hint at preliminary problems?, oil leaking from specific places?, blowing excessive smoke?... looking for handy tips like this.

Yes i have plenty of mechanical aptitude, and know engines, but i am really unfarmiliar with nissans and these motors and its often best to ask the bulk minds that occupy these forums for tid bits of info that may help.

Cheers.

BigRAWesty
21st October 2013, 09:25 PM
It's a tough call for sure.
Most issues are internal.
If NADS is not fitted then it's pretty much a grantee that there will be some oil threw the intercooler.
Do you know the history?

Clunk
21st October 2013, 10:05 PM
G'day mate, I don't know much at all about the 3ltr donks so can't tell you what to look for or what the signs are, if any but from what I've read and heard, there are quite a number of owners who have done no mods at all and have done a fair few k's with no issues what so ever. Obviously there are some which the pin has been pulled and gone kaboom, there are some who have had a second donk which has also let go. My brother has a 2005 GU 4 with over 200 000 k's on the clock and again has had no issues at all. No going into limp mode, or anything...... Mainly used for towing a rather large horse box around.

It is unfortunately a lottery but you get that with all cars, you just hope that nothing will go wrong. Oh and by the way, there have also been a few cases of the td42s and petrol engines letting go but it's less common.

happygu
21st October 2013, 10:10 PM
I don't think there are too many obvious signs to pick if there is about to be an issue with the 3 Litre Donk ..... I think if it happens, it happens ...... a mate of mine blew holes in his pistons on his Toyota, and there were no signs for his too - it just happened as he was driving along.

Best thing to do if you are worried is to get a compression test done, as this will show up any obvious problems that are current, but I don't think that it would always pick up the fact that your motor might blow up in 3 months time.

Mic

nexusfiah
22nd October 2013, 08:00 AM
Cheers all.

The histroy is good, which is why i am considering it. Has a 160k on it, logbooked services at nissan every 10k, used for the firs half of its life to drive out to his farm and then primarily for towing his daughters horse float on the weekend for the last half.

No nads done, but i understand that the problem that plauged the early ones were remedied after 04, and with the solid service history at nissan (who i assume are very well aware of the causes of the past problems), i rekon its a sound buy. Fella is a coperate lawyer at my missuses work and is flush with cash and has one of those anal personalities, which shows in the condition of the car.

Im pretty sold on the car, just wanted to check for anything from the gurus on here.

Rumcajs
22nd October 2013, 06:44 PM
Cheers all.

The histroy is good, which is why i am considering it. Has a 160k on it, logbooked services at nissan every 10k, used for the firs half of its life to drive out to his farm and then primarily for towing his daughters horse float on the weekend for the last half.

No nads done, but i understand that the problem that plauged the early ones were remedied after 04, and with the solid service history at nissan (who i assume are very well aware of the causes of the past problems), i rekon its a sound buy. Fella is a coperate lawyer at my missuses work and is flush with cash and has one of those anal personalities, which shows in the condition of the car.

Im pretty sold on the car, just wanted to check for anything from the gurus on here.

Biggest problem with ZD30 is that the rot is internal and consequential and they fail without warnings and yes 05 models too. My red flag came up when you mentioned how the truck was used to tow 2 T horse float. It is not the off roading which kills the ZD30 it is endless cruising with or without heavy tow at 100 km/h and excessive EGTs because that idiotic boost control combined with overzealous emission crap causes excessively high temperatures . If that truck has no EGT gauge and was driven by a lawyer with no sense on how to drive a diesel truck than ....
Unfortunately all Di units are suspect, the ZD30 ills/diseases were finally cured by common rail version or so it seems.

Just because the truck was regularly serviced by Nissan means jack chit. They are /were completely indifferent to the ZD30 problems and admit nothing. It is no indicator on how well the vehicle is.

So if you are into fitting boost and EGT gauges and driving accordingly, fitting Dawes and needle valves, replacing leaking intercooler, fitting Provent catch can, replacing glow plugs and fitting timer to fix the glow control stupidity, possibly bigger exhaust, diesel chip, blocking EGR, deal with small pox rash on the dashboard, endless rattles, front end wobbles, failing belt tensioners, cleaning inlet manifold or/and fitting water/meth injection, fitting external fuel supply pump, fuel cooler, fuel spill line mods and what not than welcome aboard.
You'll be busy while saving for the engine replacement/swap just in case, hopefully not.

BTW 10,000 kays service intervals are not what I would brave.
High mileage ZD30s are high risk, thread with caution. TBH it is a roll of the dice. I picked one with low mileage (65,000 kays) modded it(and keep modding it as the list grows) and keep my fingers crossed. I wish I got the one with automatic transmission as well. ZD30 and manual box is not well matched combination.

Enjoy

Cheers

ShaunM
22nd October 2013, 09:16 PM
Has anyone ever used an oil analysis kit? Like this http://www.e-monitor.com.au . There are several different ones available if you search on google. Would these help detect the common ZD30 problems?