PDA

View Full Version : Cig lighter socket problem

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 05:51 PM
So while we were away in the high country late on day two my cig lighter socket started to do strange things.. and when you turned on the head lights it seemed to cut the power to the socket?

Today I stuck a multimeter on it and it was reading 12v but when I turned the lights on it jumped to 230v.

Now I have no idea what that means........ it killed one of my multi sockets and only works normally with no headlights....

Any ideas!!

Winnie
17th October 2013, 06:06 PM
That's crazy... Only thing in your car that would put out that much power is the inverter, have you tried it with that disconnected?

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 06:35 PM
Strange that it suddenly just happened late on the Saturday.. will go and check it out as soon as the boy is distracted.

Cuppa
17th October 2013, 06:36 PM
when I turned the lights on it jumped to 230v.

Now I have no idea what that means........ it killed one of my multi sockets and only works normally with no headlights....

If it really is 240v it could kill more than your multi sockets. Would hate to have one of your kids stick their finger in the socket! If your multimter is reading, and/or being read correctly, Winnie's advice to disconnect any inverter you may have is essential. IF an inverter IS the cause it is time to fix it with a big hammer before binning it. Be very careful & assume that anything & everything is live 240v until you know it's not. If you don't have an inverter there is something wrong with your multimeter.

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 06:42 PM
Yes I have an inverter... but why when only the headlights are turned on??

I will go and disconnect it now and see if that works..

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 06:47 PM
Ok unplugged the inverter and no change, it still read 226.5V ????????????

Hodge
17th October 2013, 06:48 PM
Have another multimeter or have you proven it, somewhere reliable? Low batteries sometime make multimeters mess with you. Just a thought mate.

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 06:50 PM
I have a very good multimeter and have tested it on many other things while sussing this out to make sure.

taslucas
17th October 2013, 06:55 PM
I have a very good multimeter and have tested it on many other things while sussing this out to make sure.

Dumb question time: is the multimetre set to dc?

A mechanic mate had his set on the wrong thing while trying to trouble shoot my pertronix.

Hodge
17th October 2013, 06:55 PM
OK another stupid question but have it on correct setting ?

Yendor
17th October 2013, 06:56 PM
Is that A/C or D/C?

Does it do it with just the park lights on? or only when the headlights are on?

Do you have HIDs fitted?.

How's the main earth lead from the battery to the body?

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 06:56 PM
Good point mate I am not sure but outside I go again to check.... heres some ??????????????????????????? for you buddy!!!

Ben-e-boy
17th October 2013, 06:59 PM
Clean your MAF:p

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 07:01 PM
Is that A/C or D/C?

Does it do it with just the park lights on? or only when the headlights are on?

Do you have HIDs fitted?.

How's the main earth lead from the battery to the body?

I do run H.I.D's and it happens when park lights or headlights are on.

The main earth should be good but I will check to make sure...

And its DC

Alitis007
17th October 2013, 07:32 PM
I do run H.I.D's and it happens when park lights or headlights are on.

The main earth should be good but I will check to make sure...

And its DC

Your head lights are halogen and your spot lights are HID.

Is there a relay for the cig lighter ?? Not sure about the patrols but isn't the radio on the same circuit as the cig lighter ??

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 07:33 PM
Just checked the earth lead (in between cooking dinner) and the lead from the battery to the engine is good but the lead from the engine to the chassis is loose???

Alitis007
17th October 2013, 07:34 PM
If you want i can come round after work with my multimeter just to make sure you don't need glasses ??

Yendor
17th October 2013, 08:00 PM
It not going to be 226.5 volts. I would say your meter is on auto-range and it reading 226.5 millivolts.

You have an earthing problem either in the cig socket or the connector at the back of the cig socket.

Pull it apart and have a look, more then likely the plug is melted.

Winnie
17th October 2013, 08:14 PM
What happened to the plug on the oven when I helped you resolder it? Did it melt or did you just pull it off?

Bloodyaussie
17th October 2013, 08:26 PM
It not going to be 226.5 volts. I would say your meter is on auto-range and it reading 226.5 millivolts.

You have an earthing problem either in the cig socket or the connector at the back of the cig socket.

Pull it apart and have a look, more then likely the plug is melted.

Ok I re did the earth leads and still got the same result then I decided to test the cig lighter with the negative against a bolt in the cab and it came back as 12v and when I used the body of the lighter it was 226v so I think you are right Rodney that I must have overloaded the plug and it has melted a bit and is earthing out..

I have to get Alex to sleep so will have to wait until morning before I check it... I will let you know how I go

Thanks for your help.

George I cant come and play I have daddy duties!!!

Alitis007
18th October 2013, 11:25 AM
George I cant come and play I have daddy duties!!!

I was going to come to you to check your cig lighting so keep your skirt on mate lol

threedogs
18th October 2013, 03:33 PM
Also check that small piece of wire on the rear of most OE cig sockets .
solder in another piece if needed

Yendor
20th October 2013, 05:06 PM
So, did you get this sorted?