PDA

View Full Version : Inline vs rotary pump performance

Lawrence
16th October 2013, 04:02 AM
Hi fellows, as the title suggests, has anyone who has drive td42 patrols with both found a difference with both? I understand the rotary pump gives a more car like performance over the one with the inline. My friend has had several patrols with either pump and he swears that the rotary pump seems to give it more power. I wonder though if the increase in power he is seeing is solely the result of rebuilding the engine of the one with the rotary pump.

AB
16th October 2013, 07:58 PM
Hey mate, there is a good thread here about it.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8030-Rotary-vs-inline-pumps&p=178786

I remember you asking a similar question last year below. No idea how I remembered that when I can't even remember my misses birthday...lol
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12286-Inline-pump-with-turbo&p=236507

Lawrence
17th October 2013, 05:24 AM
Hey mate, there is a good thread here about it.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8030-Rotary-vs-inline-pumps&p=178786

I remember you asking a similar question last year below. No idea how I remembered that when I can't even remember my misses birthday...lol
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12286-Inline-pump-with-turbo&p=236507

Ah yes, i remember that thread, however that was in respect of turbocharging, This is in respect to the engines as it is stock.

nissannewby
17th October 2013, 10:16 AM
It will all depend on how they are setup. If they both deliver the exact fuel to the injectors there will be no difference so in saying one has more power than the other is a little hard to confirm. If you could put them on a bench and check the delivery output then that would give you confirmation of why one may put perform the other.

I would stick with the rotary style, they are easier to tune and are a lot more common on a patrol.

Lawrence
18th October 2013, 06:34 AM
It will all depend on how they are setup. If they both deliver the exact fuel to the injectors there will be no difference so in saying one has more power than the other is a little hard to confirm. If you could put them on a bench and check the delivery output then that would give you confirmation of why one may put perform the other.

I would stick with the rotary style, they are easier to tune and are a lot more common on a patrol.

I plan to change to a rotary sometimes, but only because they make fitting a turbo easier. From what i have read on another forum though, the rotary gives a more car like drive. I guess you could say it has more driveability rather than outright powere. Earlier government y60s here were more likely to have the inline pump.

BigRAWesty
13th November 2013, 07:33 PM
Ok just a little something.
If you add an inline pump before the mechanical rotary pump on the TD42, would it increase the pump output pressures and deliver more Fuel without having to fiddle with the actual pump itself??
My thoughts are yes as the diesel will be slightly pressured going into the pump.

I'm asking as I'd love to increase the Fuel to get a little more outta the motor, but don't want to have it sucking extra fuel 100% of the time. Was thinking an inline pump which can be switched on and Off.

Thoughts guys??
Cheers

Matt195583
13th November 2013, 08:21 PM
Westy I spoke with the bloke that built my pump the other day and one of the questions I asked was about an inline lift pump. He said it is a waste of time basically the only way it will deliver more power is if your pump is proper buggered in which case your be better off rebuilding the pump not putting a bandaid on it.

nissannewby
13th November 2013, 08:29 PM
Ok just a little something.
If you add an inline pump before the mechanical rotary pump on the TD42, would it increase the pump output pressures and deliver more Fuel without having to fiddle with the actual pump itself??
My thoughts are yes as the diesel will be slightly pressured going into the pump.

I'm asking as I'd love to increase the Fuel to get a little more outta the motor, but don't want to have it sucking extra fuel 100% of the time. Was thinking an inline pump which can be switched on and Off.

Thoughts guys??
Cheers

Won't increase power but it can eliminate flat spots in the torque on pumps that are getting tired. They are a good idea and certainly take some of the work load of your pump allowing it to do its job easier. A lift pump is a must when chasing big figures.

BigRAWesty
13th November 2013, 10:01 PM
Cool guys. Just a thought.
Now thinking about it any extra pressure will just be vented back via the pump return line hay..

Owell, I'm still tweaking the pump. Just gotta use less right foot..