PDA

View Full Version : Toyota D4D V8 into a GU ??

Hodge
15th October 2013, 07:55 PM
I probably won't win any friends here by asking a toyota question but here goes...:hpfredgeorge1:
Mate of mines 76 series just got written off (karma ) and he bought the wreck back. Engine is intact and car's only 60k old.
He now wan't s a patrol (finally woke up). He can get a 2003 GU in very nice condition but a blown 3L engine for peanuts. He isn't too mechanically minded, so asked me if I could ask here, if anybody has done or know's if a Toyo V8 D4D will fit under the GU bonnet, physically ??

growler2058
15th October 2013, 08:03 PM
Shhhhheeessshhhh sell the bloody yota off and go a TD42T transplant with some fruit

Hodge
15th October 2013, 08:31 PM
Shhhhheeessshhhh sell the bloody yota off and go a TD42T transplant with some fruit

He's bloody adamant to keep the engine, I'm half tempted to just lie to him and say, nah mate won't fit, sell it and get a 4.2 . Pretty sure he can get decent quid for the d4d.

growler2058
15th October 2013, 08:40 PM
I haven't heard of it being done but ya never know. Maybe marks adapters can lead him in the right direction

Hodge
15th October 2013, 08:46 PM
He talked to them, and they've never seen it done because but didn't rule out that it can't be done. Apparently a rough estimate of cost of conversion + engine, is not far of a full duramax job. I know where my $ would be going.

90mav
15th October 2013, 10:32 PM
As long as you could physically fit the motor and box in together it would be a great truck. Having said that there would be some monumental wiring issues to sort out!
I have heard of 1hz being fitted to Gu but I have to agree with the td42 suggestion tho...

dads tractor
22nd October 2013, 05:32 PM
flog it someone will pay $$$$$ for it and go duramax and Allison 6 speed . There is one around the QLD coal fields and is a weapon .

threedogs
22nd October 2013, 06:00 PM
You may find it physically too wide, but a tape measure would be your friend. would be great conversion if it fits.
Patrols are pretty wide though

Hodge
22nd October 2013, 06:15 PM
I forgot to reply to this thread. He's flogged off the yota and car is currently in the work shop being fitted with a recoed TD4.2 turbo. Sale of the d4d covered the engine, fitment, 2" lift kit, rear locker and few other things. He's pretty happy with the outcome. He'll probably join this forum soonish once car's back on it's legs.

boots
22nd October 2013, 06:37 PM
If its not too late Hodge , best spot for a locker is in the front in a patrol . Has been discussion on this topic here recently about this .

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2013, 07:28 PM
I forgot to reply to this thread. He's flogged off the yota and car is currently in the work shop being fitted with a recoed TD4.2 turbo. Sale of the d4d covered the engine, fitment, 2" lift kit, rear locker and few other things. He's pretty happy with the outcome. He'll probably join this forum soonish once car's back on it's legs.

Good to hear the boy has some brains... Lol

Looking forward to seeing it..

Hodge
22nd October 2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks boots. Yes the airlocker is going into the front.