PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 td - what are they like for reliability

Jimmyjazzy
15th October 2013, 12:26 AM
What are the 2.8td engines fitted to 98, 99 gu's like for reliability? Not to worried about being underpowered, just wondering if they have any of the same / similar issues as the zd30?
At how many Klm would you start being worried about them, and if something does go bang are you up for big $$$$?
Thank you.

krbrooking
15th October 2013, 01:14 AM
My head went inside a month after buying it and it cost about 5.1/2 g to rebuild from bottom up. I would have been able to get a 4.2td after spending the money on the rebuild. If you have the time and coin try and get the 4.2 but if you can pick up a decent (which I thought mine was) one and look after it then grab it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

bluengold
19th October 2013, 11:17 PM
Gday Jimmyjazzy for what its worth I have my 2.8 and the only problem I had touch wood has been cooling system blockage at 150 thousand. Can happen to any country vehicle I guess. so far I have been lucky not to have problems with mine however I do service it on regular basis. apart from the noticeable lack of power when towing my camper I don't mind it. the other blokes I know up here in Townsville haven't had the problems you generally hear about and the majority range from 250 to 350 thousand.

cheers

gramgramfirey
16th November 2013, 09:53 PM
I have a friend who has a 97 GQ, he looks after it pretty well and he has just ticked over with 300 k. Has done the radiator recently, but that is a common problem. I have just bought a GU 2.8 and so far, touch wood i am finding it although sligtly underpowered a nice thing to drive. Of coarse i am compairing it to my last ride a 300 Tdi Defender. After all its the journey, not the destination.