PDA

View Full Version : Y61 2006 instrument cluster sut down and come back to life

amro74
12th October 2013, 03:47 AM
HI GUYS I HAVE A 2006 Y61 WITH A STRANGE problem
the instrument cluster light with all the fuel temp rpm shut down and then go back alive and i dont know what is the reason for this

my third 256
12th October 2013, 07:51 AM
dry solder joint on the board
take out and run a soldering iron over joints

amro74
12th October 2013, 08:02 AM
i will try to do that i did a lot of research but no luck but i agree that this should be a start to check the soldering first and i want to know if relays or earthing has any thing to do with it ?

happygu
12th October 2013, 08:26 AM
Especially check the pins where the cables terminate to the cluster, and the Power and Earth Feed wires, as it is something common to the whole unit.

Looks like you will need to pull the dash apart ...... let the fun begin

Mic

amro74
12th October 2013, 08:41 AM
Especially check the pins where the cables terminate to the cluster, and the Power and Earth Feed wires, as it is something common to the whole unit.

Looks like you will need to pull the dash apart ...... let the fun begin

Mic

i was reading a post with a fix done by the pins at the conector to the cluster is this common as you are saying at this model ? please explain more or you did mean the earthing ?
thanks

happygu
12th October 2013, 08:57 AM
Amro,

The wires from all wiring looms for all cars terminate at a connector block where he connector pushes onto pins on the circuit board, and although they make them better these days, it is one of the most common problem points, as the stress of the weight of the wires and constant pounding over corrugations, can break the solder joint from the pun to the copper track on the printed circuit board inside the instrument cluster.

I wouldn't say it is a common fault for Patrols, but it can happen with any vehicle....

With the fact that you are loosing all your instruments and illumination, it is pointing to the fact that you are either loosing the 12V Power Feed to the Cluster, and this can happen through the 12V Feed '( Hot Wire' - connected to the positive side of the battery ) , or because the 0V negative cable that connects the other end of the circuit, to ensure that current is passing through the circuit,( or earth wire - usually black in a car, and connects to the body of the car and the negative terminal of the battery ) has been broken of is not passing the current through properly due to a bad connection / joint.

In short, a bad connection anywhere along the wire / track will cause problems, but yours is pin-pointed towards the main incoming power or the outgoing negative, as you are losing everything.

Mic

amro74
12th October 2013, 09:41 AM
hey mic
i will do my best and hope i find the solution

Yendor
12th October 2013, 10:24 AM
Is it only the gauges that stop working? or do the warning lights in the dash such as battery and oil lights also stop working?

amro74
12th October 2013, 06:22 PM
the cluster lights go off and you can see the rpm,fuel,temp,ext..... stop reading and it flicker and then go back to normal and this thing happen when i start the car but later every thing come back to normal !!

spoonie
12th October 2013, 11:19 PM
Dose it happen if its been raining? Haven seen it in a patrol but have seen it a few time in old toyota HJ where water gets in and shorts out the cluster.

M3Wog
23rd February 2022, 09:49 PM
Did anyone actually get this sorted?, I'm suffering this at the moment with my TB48 Ti 2004, it's doing my head in,
Dash cluster flickers on and off its getting pretty dangerous, any ideas guys ?