PDA

View Full Version : Missin Nissan 4500

Fairlane
11th October 2013, 09:00 PM
a mate asked me if my 2000 GU 4500 was a diesel today.
it has a slight miss to go with the tappet noise. and yes it would be understandable to think it is a diesel with the sound of it.

Is there a common fix to this or do I follow the usual expensive trial and error of replacing bits?
the miss is very noticeable at idle but not so much when driving.

Thanks!

Clunk
11th October 2013, 10:10 PM
Could need a tune up, maybe new spark plugs, leads etc. Injectors could be dirty. Tappets will need adjusting and shouldn't cost too much if you're not able to do it yourself. Sometimes a leaking exhaust manifold can sound a bit like tappet noise

spoonie
12th October 2013, 11:09 PM
Sounds like it needs a service, tappets. First place I would start looking spark plugs and leads. If you want to check to see if u have a exhaust leak, get some one to hold a rag in the exhaust pip while u have a listen for the leak (eng running at idle).

threedogs
13th October 2013, 09:07 AM
Give it a birthday with a service and fresh oil,
you may be surprised what difference it makes

Col.T
13th October 2013, 07:47 PM
G'day mate
Do we call you Fordie or is that the wrong word association?
If you've got a manual or some other list of work to be done at a major service and and can do it yourself, do it all.
It's a long time since I fritzed 'round with petrol engine type tappets, plugs, timing etc. etc. but I remember(I think) that good regular servicing was pretty essential. Had the wagon long? Been serviced regular?
The clues above may well help if it's all serviced.
Luck
Col

Fairlane
20th October 2013, 09:00 PM
I have ordered plugs and leads and filters for the service. as advised it's the best place to start!
I will have all fluids replaced whilst I am at it.
radiator is in need of attention as the coolant is yuck brown.
no idea when last service was.

NP99
20th October 2013, 09:15 PM
With summer soon here that radiator will need a service. Sometimes poor quality oil will rattle the tappets. You're on the right path.

Fairlane
20th October 2013, 09:45 PM
thanks for that,
I assume my mechanic will be able to advise the best oil for the car approaching 200,000 km

NP99
20th October 2013, 10:01 PM
thanks for that,
I assume my mechanic will be able to advise the best oil for the car approaching 200,000 km

He will use what he has in stock....Just ask him what he will be using!

Fairlane
20th October 2013, 10:10 PM
I guess thats a fair assumption. what should I supply him?

NP99
20th October 2013, 10:15 PM
I guess thats a fair assumption. what should I supply him?

Mate, you'll get a 1000 answers on that question :)

I use Castrol Magnatec 10/40 or SCA have a good Penrite deal on at the moment. 10 litres of 10/40 for $52

rottodiver
20th October 2013, 11:26 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my last 4500 ... Had it tuned and tappers done at the same time.... It was a different vehicle after that...
Scotty

Col.T
21st October 2013, 07:39 PM
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php%3F23489-Oil-recommendation-2000-model-4500&sa=U&ei=oeBkUuipBIOY2QWnnIDAAQ&ved=0CBUQFjAF&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFE_D47skzw-5oVeqcll6crtMESyg
Fordie,
dunno if i've got this right but the humungous number above may put you in the right direction re oil.
Not sure how happy all of them are to use oil supplied.
Good luck
Col

NP99
21st October 2013, 09:32 PM
Sounds like it needs a service, tappets. First place I would start looking spark plugs and leads. If you want to check to see if u have a exhaust leak, get some one to hold a rag in the exhaust pip while u have a listen for the leak (eng running at idle).

And check for a leak around the exhaust manifold, try reving and listening with the bonnet up.