PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Alternators & Battery

coiled
11th October 2013, 01:05 PM
Hi again

I have just bought a Patrol to pick up next week and coming from a late model Pathfinder have had issues with alternator voltage being ECU controlled similar to the landcruiser/Prado. Have Nissan thought better of this and left the Patrols untouched or do I need to go hunting for ECU control wires to cut? This is known as the "green wire" mod in the Navara/Pathfinder circles.

I am also planning to fit a winch in the next couple of months is the standard battery & alternator up to this task or are the adjustments that should be made? All about expectation management with mrs.

Thanks

Rustyboner81
11th October 2013, 04:36 PM
Couldn't tell ya mate, im sure someone will be able to let you know soon though.
Might help if you add a few details like engine, year etc.
:D

NP99
11th October 2013, 05:49 PM
If it's a 600 cca minimum battery, you'll be fine for winching, also depends on how you winch, short or long, motor on or off etc.

coiled
11th October 2013, 06:03 PM
Couldn't tell ya mate, im sure someone will be able to let you know soon though.
Might help if you add a few details like engine, year etc.
:D

It is a 2013 Y61 ST 3L Manual

macca
11th October 2013, 06:17 PM
Hi again

I have just bought a Patrol to pick up next week and coming from a late model Pathfinder have had issues with alternator voltage being ECU controlled similar to the landcruiser/Prado. Have Nissan thought better of this and left the Patrols untouched or do I need to go hunting for ECU control wires to cut? This is known as the "green wire" mod in the Navara/Pathfinder circles.

I am also planning to fit a winch in the next couple of months is the standard battery & alternator up to this task or are the adjustments that should be made? All about expectation management with mrs.

Thanks

What is the issue with the ECU controlling the alternator voltage? Don't remember it being mentioned here before either.

coiled
11th October 2013, 10:40 PM
Macca, Some 4wds among other cars have ecu managed alternators to try and save fuel (i think). Usually they run at the normal 14.4 just after startup to replenish battery then voltage drops down to low 12s unless you are coasting etc with no engine load. What this does is create charging issues for dual battery setups or power camper in tow.

The 2010 on pathfinders do this but you can cut a green wire that runs to your alternator and then it performs like a traditional regulated alternator always sitting at 14.4v. The alternative to this is DC-DC chargers etc.

I am very glad that it sounds like Nissan have left well enough alone on the Patrol still.

happygu
12th October 2013, 07:38 AM
Hi Coiled,

If I check my battery gauge as I am driving along, it is always somewhere between 14.1 - 14.4 Volts, so I think the Patrol is somehow different to the Pathfinders and their alternators.....

Mic

macca
12th October 2013, 06:14 PM
I think mine generally sits on 13.8 volts except when the batts are fully charged it can go over 14 volts then, especially if I have charged them from a 240vac smart charger if the Patrol has been sitting for a while.

threedogs
13th October 2013, 08:38 AM
I just fitted a LED volt meter to monitor Volts,
I thought it was faulty sitting at 14.4 instead of 13.8
But happy to know sitting on 14.4 is the norm