PDA

View Full Version : New owner of 4.2

GU_Mick
9th October 2013, 04:17 PM
Hi guys, I just bought a TD42 from a ZD30. I knew the ZD30 well from the other forum but I don't know a lot about the new toy yet. Firstly, can anyone please help me with instructions or diagrams on a manual boost control on a TD42 please.

Also, I plan to upgrade the intercooler and get it tuned. It comes with a 3 inch exhaust. I am building up a tourer and want power for towing and need reliability and a motor that is going to last me many more years to come.

Is there any other mods I should be doing? I know its a good engine, unlike the ZD30 I rebuilt but I am very curious on everyone's opinions and what they have done to their TD42's. Thanks

Mick

BigRAWesty
9th October 2013, 04:59 PM
Welcome Mick.
Firstly congrats minute purchase.
Now is it a turbo td42? If not, then that's the best bang for buck upgrade, unfortunately probably the most expensive.
If it is turboed already then a good tune can produce good numbers from the stock setup, and very reliable.
So jump in and enjoy the forum and the New ride.
Cheers

GU_Mick
9th October 2013, 05:00 PM
Welcome Mick.
Firstly congrats minute purchase.
Now is it a turbo td42? If not, then that's the best bang for buck upgrade, unfortunately probably the most expensive.
If it is turboed already then a good tune can produce good numbers from the stock setup, and very reliable.

Sorry I should have clarified a bit better. It's a 2005 4.2 diesel.

BigRAWesty
9th October 2013, 05:02 PM
Yep, the td42 is diesel, tb42 is petrol.
Still the turbo is best bang for buck as the diesels love more oxygen to improve the burn and efficiency of the fuel it uses..

threedogs
9th October 2013, 05:05 PM
Might want to pop over to the intro section as well and introduce yourself,
just something the forum asks of us all. Plenty of tips on the TD 4.2 here

GU_Mick
9th October 2013, 07:26 PM
Just did the intro, was working on what to say. Can someone help with a manual boost controller set up on a TD42Ti?

BigRAWesty
9th October 2013, 07:38 PM
Which controller do you have? Don't think they come Stock with one.

GU_Mick
9th October 2013, 07:40 PM
Which controller do you have? Don't think they come Stock with one.

It doesn't have one, yet

nissannewby
9th October 2013, 08:49 PM
Hey mate

I own the same engine combo in my ute. I used a turbosmart boost controller they are about $100 and are easy to use and fit.

With the 3" exhaust make sure it also has a larger dump pipe to suit the 3" exhaust. AN intercooler upgrade is a good idea if you are towing a lot as the factory one doesn't work very well when boosting the old girl up. The cross country items are a good unit and are a bolt on item, apart from the scoop.

Also if funds permit a turbo upgrade could help and a Garrett GTX2863 would work quite well with the injector pump that are fitted to these engines.

There are plenty of threads in the members rides and also a 200kw thread on here you could look at for ideas.

GU_Mick
12th October 2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the advice. Picked it up yesterday, very happy. I I fit a Cav filter to it, will that restrict the fuel flow too much? Ran one on the Zd30 without a lift pump with no dramas.