PDA

View Full Version : Ignition issues

Pooj
9th October 2013, 05:11 PM
Hi guys,
I've got an issue I hope can be resolved here. I have a 4.2TD GU Trayback. I have been getting flat batteries when left for a week & have been jump starting it while trying to sort the problem. My alternator is only putting out about 12.4 volt so I'm guessing that's my problem there.

When I jump started it a couple of days ago I lost my ignition lights & can't get them back. I only realised when the tachometer wasn't working. I turned it off & proceeded to check all fuses, both in car & under bonnet, all tested fine. I tested all the fusible links & they tested fine. I have power to the alternator both to the nut mount & white wire with red stripe at the plug, the exciter wire I think. The other white wire has zero voltage. This is all with ign off. I have checked all earths & they test fine. The ignition barrel wiring tests ok. I pulled the dash & checked all connections & globes & they're all fine. I also checked all relays & they check out good as well. (I went so far as to hotwire each plug for the relays to be doubly sure). While I had the dash unplugged I tested for power & only found one pin that had continuous power with ign on. I might add that the truck starts & runs perfectly well....

I have since stripped & cleaned the alternator & it is now putting out 14.1v, which I am happy about :)

This is really starting to do my head in.

Anyone got any ideas fellas????

Cheers..............Pete!

Yendor
9th October 2013, 07:31 PM
When you turn the ignition on (engine not running) what if any warning lights come on?

Do any of the other gauges not work?

Did you check fuse 28 in the fusebox inside the vehicle? try swapping it with another fuse. Also make sure fuses 9 and 24 aren't blown.

Any chance the jumper leads were connected the wrong way around?

my third 256
9th October 2013, 07:46 PM
try this link
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17681-Speedo-temp-gauge-and-ignition-lights-not-working
also lots of info in the search box top right just put in ignition lights

my third 256
9th October 2013, 08:01 PM
Ok one thing that can give trouble is the dash light dimmer Check it anyway just if nothing more than to rule it out & get back to us.