PDA

View Full Version : Steel vs Alloy ARB Racks

Mitch.mccabe
6th October 2013, 10:29 PM
Does any know the weight difference in the 2 racks (Full size) I think the steel is around 50kg which is half the weight allowed on your roof? Is the alloy worth the extra $300+

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2013, 10:37 PM
Does any know the weight difference in the 2 racks (Full size) I think the steel is around 50kg which is half the weight allowed on your roof? Is the alloy worth the extra $300+

At first I had ordered the alloy roof rack. Then changed my mind a few days before fitting. Just want a mesh that strong to withstand this sort of shit.
Yes I know the roof is only rated to 80kg or something stupid like that. But hell I reckon I got 180kg of wood on the roof rack.

Clunk
6th October 2013, 11:03 PM
reckon its about 15-20kg lighter............ is it worth it???? well I guess it all depends on how much you're going to be putting up there. I like to keep weight up there to a minimum, so got a Rhino Rack set up, love it for its versatility and one man set up...... I'm not able to have mine set up permanently coz I cant fit it under the garage. So leave the bars on but remove the cage when not needed

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2013, 11:21 PM
The alloy rack will be around 20kgs maybe 25kgs tops,

The ARB alloy rack is top quality and if I could afford it I would fit one for sure.

A decent Allot rack will take allot. Packed well and with forethought will perform very well

Here is my Alloy rack. Not ARB quality but I have been very very happy with it.

I did the Madigan Line like that . Fair effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Mitch.mccabe
24th October 2013, 08:38 PM
Well I got the Alloy one fitted up last week, but some photos in the photo section

BigRAWesty
24th October 2013, 08:59 PM
Nice mate. So what is the weight??

Mitch.mccabe
24th October 2013, 09:42 PM
haha Still don't know the exact weight, but 40% lighter then the steel one ARB do, I might ring them tomorrow and find out. Probably should know that I guess ahha

Lemo79
31st October 2013, 08:55 PM
Hey Mitch, did you get a weight on the alloy bar. Pretty sure I'm sold.

Mitch.mccabe
31st October 2013, 09:26 PM
I think the alloys are around the 20- 25kg mark, the steel is around 50kg, arb states that their alloy is around 40% lighter so makes those weights fairly close!

happygu
31st October 2013, 09:56 PM
I bought a brand new alloy rack for the rooftop tent, which broke on the first week of our Simpson trip this year. Had to bandaid it up to get through.....

Took it back to complain, and ended up getting a new one ... seller said he had never seen it happen before.

For me, the jury is still out, as it is only half the weight, but my steel one is still going strong after 15 years.

Mic

Mitch.mccabe
31st October 2013, 10:02 PM
So want went wrong with the alloy one? By the sounds it was a one off? But where did it fail? I got the full roof cage?

happygu
31st October 2013, 11:14 PM
So want went wrong with the alloy one? By the sounds it was a one off? But where did it fail? I got the full roof cage?

It failed on the rear drivers side mounting plate, where the gutter support bolts to the rack itself ( ARB Style rip-off type leg ). The leg support is a fair way in front of the rear of the rack, and I would prefer to see it closer to the rear so there isn't as much flex and lever action from the overhanging weight of the rooftop tent at the rear ....

It was the outer weld that broke, and it was still being held by the inner weld, and I used some thinner fencing wire that I have carried around for longer than I can remember to bind it all together so it couldn't fall apart completely