PDA

View Full Version : Oil change mess

Covo71
6th October 2013, 08:56 PM
Got the Patrol a couple of weeks ago and thought she will be right and did a filter change. Air filter thought yeah pretty straight forward but after reading on forum how it is from Nissan is upside down. Going better now. Oil. Done plenty of those in the past but NO. Didn't realize drain hole at bottom, needless to say oil everywhere. Then thought I might read about the fuel filter and found there not that easy to do but turned out ok. It is still going though so must be ok. Should be better next time. Hahaha good times.

NP99
6th October 2013, 09:38 PM
Even on the 4.5 I make a mess :)

dads tractor
7th October 2013, 01:00 AM
Watch the nappies at your local super market and when their on special buy the cheapest wrap 1 around the oil filter and spin off repeat for the second 1 (assuming its a 4.2 d) 1 nappie 2 filters . Fuel crack the seal take the water sender wires off and unbolt and do the change . The trick is too only spin the filters up on a wet O ring till they grab then you can spin them off by hand never let any one do then up with a filter strap if they do use the filter strap on their neck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I substitute the nappies with Cat sorb clothes but you get my drift hopefully .

my third 256
7th October 2013, 03:37 AM
put a shopping bag over oil filter and spin off no mess

Covo71
7th October 2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks guys, 11 month old boy there is no shortage of nappies, good idea and also like the shopping bag thing too.
Thanks heaps

macca
7th October 2013, 08:06 AM
To keep the mess to a minimum I drain the sump and leave the plug out overnight, then take the filters off in the morning. Most of the oil has drained out.
There is probably no reason why you couldn't do it "cold" as the filter will have drained and so would the top of the engine, just always done an oil change with the engine hot.

Winnie
7th October 2013, 08:10 AM
To keep the mess to a minimum I drain the sump and leave the plug out overnight, then take the filters off in the morning. Most of the oil has drained out.
There is probably no reason why you couldn't do it "cold" as the filter will have drained and so would the top of the engine, just always done an oil change with the engine hot.

That's what I try and do. Still put a plastic bag over the filters and very minimal spillage.

Warwick89
7th October 2013, 10:59 PM
Love the shopping bag idea. Never heard that one.

NP99
7th October 2013, 11:06 PM
Some good suggestions put forward :)

Mickus
10th October 2013, 11:20 PM
yeah had the same issue I put a sheet over the steering arm and bucket underneath and turned it up as quickly as I could still a bit of oil spilt but the sheet saved a lot of mess

Mickus
10th October 2013, 11:22 PM
Shopping bag what a great idea :)