PDA

View Full Version : hello from Simon

Simon
14th January 2011, 02:41 PM
Hello, New to patrols... Have always had toyotas until one day i bought a patrol.

So far all working well... has 300,000km on it... and counting...

Just thought i'd get myself on a forum incase i do have a problem.

Anyone know how long the Mk 4 3litre turbo diesel engines usually last and when you usually start to see problems?

i'm in sydney also and looking to do some occasional 4wd'ing

Thanks

Simon

Bob
14th January 2011, 02:44 PM
Welcome Simon. Great mob of guys and gals on this site with a quite diversified expertise. Join in the discussions and after 25 posts you will be able to download Manuals

AB
14th January 2011, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Simon, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

I'm not overly familar with the 4.3's TD's but the 4.2's are good for 500,000km's.

Hopefully someone else can help you with this.

Dhuck
14th January 2011, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. Enjoy the reading.

DX grunt
14th January 2011, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Simon, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

I'm not overly familar with the 4.3's TD's but the 4.2's are good for 500,000km's.

Hopefully someone else can help you with this.

Sorry Simon but I have to correct our administrator. Simon said: "Mk4 3ltr", not 4.3lt. lololololol hahahahaha

Welcome Simon.

Plenty to read and talk about. Please enjoy our company.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt.

YNOT
14th January 2011, 03:40 PM
Welcome to the forum Simon.

There is no reason a properly maintained Series 4 ZD30 should not last at least 4-500,000km. As with any turbo diesel it's a good idea to fit boost and pyro (exhaust gas temperature) gauges to keep an eye on the engine.

Tony

AB
14th January 2011, 04:28 PM
Sorry Simon but I have to correct our administrator. Simon said: "Mk4 3ltr", not 4.3lt. lololololol hahahahaha

Welcome Simon.

Plenty to read and talk about. Please enjoy our company.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt.

haha....Sleep, I need Sleep!!!

I was going to say, I've never heard of a 4.3 litre...lol

Simon
14th January 2011, 04:56 PM
Great, thanks for the welcome. Will hit some of you up to go on a 4wd'ing trip soon. Just have to tidy up a few things on the car and fix a few little niggling electrical things then i'm keen! Oh also have to get the mrs to give birth and then get some sleep... Can't wait to be a dad!

ha can you tell i'm a little excited?

Maxhead
14th January 2011, 06:15 PM
G'Day Simon, welcome to the forum mate.
And good luck with the birth and fatherhood.

Woof
14th January 2011, 07:20 PM
Welcome Simon, enjoy the forum mate and enjoy being a dadhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

lotus
14th January 2011, 07:27 PM
yeah simon ... welcome!
[i've only just joined myself]

i joined fatherhood a little over six years ago though ... that's one hell of a ride!
i wish you and your lady all the very best with the birth!
[posting on the forum is a good way to distract yourself, eh : ]

Finly Owner
14th January 2011, 11:11 PM
Welcome to the forum Simon.

There is no reason a properly maintained Series 4 ZD30 should not last at least 4-500,000km. As with any turbo diesel it's a good idea to fit boost and pyro (exhaust gas temperature) gauges to keep an eye on the engine.

Tony

I need to improve my knowledge, i thought MK only came with the SD turbo diesels.

Finly Owner
14th January 2011, 11:12 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Simon

Tim

wildgu6
15th January 2011, 01:26 PM
Hey Simon, Welcome aboard the Trol express,
simply the best forum around.
Great bunch of people with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Good luck, Welcome aboard and Enjoy the ride.
Hope you have a great 2011.
Happy trekin buddy, stay safe

Cheers Pete

jace75
15th January 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Simon wlecome
great place to be for unbiased info here

have fun

Simon
18th January 2011, 11:24 PM
haha thanks guys... Just a quick one... Went for a drive tonight and for the first time ever the car sorta started ticking... Its not tappets or anything of the sort. it almost feels like one cylinder is just a little down on power... Hard to tell exactly its not huge, its just faint but its new... It has 300,000km on the motor and i'm thinking it might be time for a new timing chain... Anyone got any thoughts on a 300,000km major service?

Its not a dropped cylinder because when you rev it up its fine and its not as bad as a dropped cylinder... its just a tic kinda like tapping a coffee mug... its the motor not the gearbox too.... might just be something a bit loose and vibrating...

Simon
18th January 2011, 11:25 PM
also thanks for the warm welcome... its great to see a bunch of friendly people like you all..

Does anyone live near parramatta in sydney?

Finly Owner
18th January 2011, 11:31 PM
Anyone got any thoughts on a 300,000km major service?

Ask in mechanical thread so more people see question and may answer. Otherwise here it will just be lost in your intro thread

Tim

Simon
19th January 2011, 09:50 AM
thanks will give it a go...

Bigrig
19th January 2011, 10:51 AM
G'day mate - belated welcome aboard. Useful information, great people and good laughs abound on the forum, so make the most of it and get amongst the conversations!!

Simon
19th January 2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks.. I am a toyota Hilux convert and so i'm still learning the intricacies of the patrol... This will be a useful place for that!

mackayboi
20th January 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi Simon welcome aboard.

patch697
25th January 2011, 11:21 AM
Welcome on board & I hope you enjoy the forum.