PDA

View Full Version : Power Upgrade for 3.0 litre diesel or engine swap

tonym9643
4th October 2013, 03:14 PM
Ok .....so im in need of extra power from my standard 3.0 litre diesel turbo automatic.

question 1/ Best option for extra power. ( towing 1.2 tonne trailer to NT )
Question 2/ Is it possible to install 4.2 litre diesel in my vehicle ?

thanks

Tony

SupRob
4th October 2013, 04:22 PM
Hey Tony,

Alot of people do the TD42 conversion, its just more finding a complete motor at the right price,

Diesel chip in the zd30 gives some power, but be sure to have NADS fitted.

Rob,

rotor138
4th October 2013, 07:26 PM
Chip, exhaust, and NADS and possibly custom intercooler will make it quicker. Mines got decent power now without a load ill be good to see what it's like when we buy a van.

kevin07
5th October 2013, 08:05 AM
Ok .....so im in need of extra power from my standard 3.0 litre diesel turbo automatic.

question 1/ Best option for extra power. ( towing 1.2 tonne trailer to NT )
Question 2/ Is it possible to install 4.2 litre diesel in my vehicle ?

thanks

Tony

you need to tell us what year your car is but to start a bigger exhaust block the egr and depending on what model you have maybe more stuff but the exhaust and egr will give you sufficient power increase

happygu
5th October 2013, 08:51 AM
Tony,

Just installing a 4.2 wont give you more power, and towing 1.2 tonne with the 3 Litre is a doddle.

As others have said, chip and exhaust will give you good driveability gains.

I have had just a chip for years, on the early DI's and that was great, I have had CRD's with and without exhaust done, and they have been great.

Everyone says the combination of both will give you really good gains, but I can't speak from experience ..... yet.

Mic

Warwick89
6th October 2013, 10:32 PM
Chip, exhaust, and NADS and possibly custom intercooler will make it quicker. Mines got decent power now without a load ill be good to see what it's like when we buy a van.

Hey mate new to this world just wondering what " NADS" is?

Warwick89
6th October 2013, 10:46 PM
Also I've just purchased my first patrol (haven't even got the keys yet) and wanted some opinions on what mods to do on a stoke 3ltr turbo diesel, 2010 , auto wagon

tonym9643
7th October 2013, 10:22 AM
Hi . thanks

I have a 2003 Nissan gu 3.0 litre.
there is a catch can, boost and turbo timer............Im thinking that someone has already done a DET kit install.

Just out of curiosity where would a DP steinbaur chip located if installed. ?

Tony

rotor138
7th October 2013, 08:30 PM
Hey mate new to this world just wondering what " NADS" is?

Nissan anti detenation system. Basically a series of mods that help reduce the rate of failure with the 3.0l motor. It includes EGT + Boost gauges, dawes valve catch can and EGR block. If you search here you'll find more than a bit of information.

Warwick89
7th October 2013, 11:26 PM
Nissan anti detenation system. Basically a series of mods that help reduce the rate of failure with the 3.0l motor. It includes EGT + Boost gauges, dawes valve catch can and EGR block. If you search here you'll find more than a bit of information.

Cheers thanks rotor,

Warwick89
8th October 2013, 09:19 PM
What about a turbo timer? Does anyone think it's a good idea?

Waz

P4trol
8th October 2013, 09:53 PM
Waste of time. You can do the same by not turning off before you have collected wallet, thongs and got out of the seat.

As part of NADs people often fit a temperature guage (pyrometer) with the probe situated just after the manifold to measure exhaust gas temperature (EGTs).

A more correct method to guage shut off time would be a temperature on the egt guage below which signifies the engine is cool enough. 200 degrees Celsius is a general figure.

The egt guage gives a good understanding on what causes high eg temperatures. Highway driving will need a little extra time to idle and cool down. Hitting your nominal maximum egt temp? Modify your driving. Subtle changes in your driving habits will allow lower egts and hopefully save your engine.

Warwick89
8th October 2013, 10:15 PM
Waste of time. You can do the same by not turning off before you have collected wallet, thongs and got out of the seat.

As part of NADs people often fit a temperature guage (pyrometer) with the probe situated just after the manifold to measure exhaust gas temperature (EGTs).

A more correct method to guage shut off time would be a temperature on the egt guage below which signifies the engine is cool enough. 200 degrees Celsius is a general figure.

The egt guage gives a good understanding on what causes high eg temperatures. Highway driving will need a little extra time to idle and cool down. Hitting your nominal maximum egt temp? Modify your driving. Subtle changes in your driving habits will allow lower egts and hopefully save your engine.

I'm goingg to be doing a lot of kms in the next 12mths on and off road, having the egt gauge is already on the to do list just thought the turbo timer would come in handy after a long day behind the wheel.

Waz

Warwick89
8th October 2013, 10:22 PM
Dawes valve catch?
Sorry missed this before and not quite understanding what is does

P4trol
8th October 2013, 10:31 PM
Dawes valve is a 'safety valve' to manually limit boost.

Catch can is to remove oily vapours from the air being fed from inside the engine back to the intake.

There is a document somewhere from either this forum or the other one. It does a better job at explaining it all. You can skip the boring bits and pick it back up when the interest takes you there. It isn't the service manual. It compliments it.

Does anyone have the link?

Dr Gary
17th October 2013, 01:32 PM
We have towed a heavy camper trailer to Birdsville, Queensland central coast etc, Also done quite a bit on tough farm roads with plenty of steep crossings and hills with camper in tow.
We have never been short on power, although we do need plenty of space if overtaking.
Only mod is an exhaust system. I suspect NADS would be good, and chips certainly add kw.