PDA

View Full Version : Suspension lean

rotor138
3rd October 2013, 11:56 PM
I've had a 2 inch lift in my 2003 GU for about 4 years. I have just redone the front panhard and 2degree rubber radius bushes and noticed the car is 50mm down on the passenger side at the front and 40mm at the rear. The 2in lift consists of Lovells shocks and Dobinson springs.

Could the change in bushes have caused the lean? Or should I be looking at replacing the springs?

The measurements from the guard to the ground are FR 1005 RR 1005 FL 955 RL 965.

MudRunnerTD
4th October 2013, 12:05 AM
Can you post a pic of the car. 50mm must look ridiculous! Are you sure you have seated the spring properly? Did it have that lean before you did the caster correction?

rotor138
4th October 2013, 12:33 AM
It's dark outside and yes it does look a bit ridiculous.. I'm not sure if it was leaning at all before I did the castor correction hence the questions.

The springs were not removed to do radius arms so would be seated the same as before.

MudRunnerTD
4th October 2013, 12:45 AM
Hmmmm, generally the right will sit a little higher to account for the driver , spare wheel and sub tank. But 50mm is allot! Those numbers a re pretty consistent too hey! A little odd mate. I would go over everything again mate. I don't think that is sagging springs.

rotor138
4th October 2013, 12:56 AM
I think it has to do with castor bushes on passenger side but was hoping there was a suspension guru here to confirm or dismiss this.

I first noticed the lean when I did the passenger side about a month ago (I work away) and then it seems exaggerated after doing drivers side today.

MudRunnerTD
4th October 2013, 01:05 AM
Did you fit the bushes? Are they aligned correctly? My thoughts were if it was a front radius bush out of alignment though it would only really affect the front corner not consistently a full side of the car

megatexture
4th October 2013, 01:14 AM
Did you get a template for the location of the angle for the bushes? Maybe this was reversed on one side but I find it hard to beleave they could be the cause as the bushes are only about 50mm from memory and I wouldn't think caster bushes would affect the rear measurements that much!

rotor138
4th October 2013, 01:31 AM
Yeah I fitted the bushes that's the worry :)

I've been using the press at the olds house to fit them and the passenger side I used the template supplied but you lay the arm on the template and then mark the arm. The one I did today I forgot the template so got the one off the ironman website. It said to mark vertical on the front bush part of the arm when car is on ground and press i bush there and then put second bush in so that centre hole to centre hole is 240mm apart. The second arm was so much easier to get in.

I think I will go try find some bushes tomorrow and press them in and see how it goes. Unless I can reuse the bushes that are in it?

Still got all the rear bushes to do yet.

rotor138
4th October 2013, 07:24 PM
Passenger side bushes were 180 degree out, the template had the front bush on the left and rear on the right looks like I read it wrong. Thanks guys for the help she now sits 990mm both rears and 985 both fronts. :)

MudRunnerTD
4th October 2013, 08:54 PM
Passenger side bushes were 180 degree out, the template had the front bush on the left and rear on the right looks like I read it wrong. Thanks guys for the help she now sits 990mm both rears and 985 both fronts. :)

Well there you go! Would not have expected that to effect the rear so much! Glad you got it sorted bud.