PDA

View Full Version : 2005 4.2TDI GU No power to ignition control fuse.

Halvorsen
3rd October 2013, 08:38 PM
Hi All,

Seeking advice, currently have problem starting vehicle.
Engine cranks but wont fire up.
Noticed immobliser light on constant when ignition is on.
Have found no voltage either side at ignition control fuse panel inside vehicle.
Does any one know where this fuse is supplied from??

Any advise would appreciated, wiring schematic ideal

nissannewby
3rd October 2013, 08:56 PM
The little black box on the back of the injector pump has probably shit itself.

Yendor
3rd October 2013, 10:59 PM
What fuse doesn't have power?........fuse 25?

Are you checking with the ignition switched on?

Halvorsen
4th October 2013, 11:10 AM
Hey Yendor,
Fuse # 26 from memory, have checked with ignition ON, all other fuses in panel have power.
Trying to understand the magic of the immobiliser controls.
As i understand, chip in ignition key talks to reciever in steering wheel, this allows solenoid on IP open, engine starts, controlled via immobiliser computer?
I am not sure if the ignition control fuse feeds reciever in sterring wheel or immobiliser computer, or power to IP solenoid.
Presuming solenoid if OK as i have no ignition control power.

Yendor
4th October 2013, 06:05 PM
Fuse 26 (7.5amp) is a start signal fuse.....it only has power when you turn the ignition key to start.

Fuse 25 is the main ignition fuse for the NATS. Make sure this fuse has power both sides when ignition is turned on.

Normally a NATS problem with the TD42 is a faulty control module mounted on the back of the injector pump.

There is a chip in the original key/s that is read by a sensor mounted around the ignition switch.

When the sensor around the ignition switch receives the correct signal it sends a "ok to start signal" to the module mounted on the back of the injector pump. This module then switches power to the fuel control solenoid in the injector pump and then the vehicle can start.

Some people with TD42s when they have a problem with NATS choose to remove the control module from the back of the injector pump and bypass the NATS altogether.

Halvorsen
5th October 2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks Yendor,

I will recheck the fuses and cross my fingers!

Sounds like fun and games to bypass fuel control soleniod, pretty tight for room down there if i'm looking at the right place.

Not sure i would attempt.

Halvorsen
8th October 2013, 12:36 PM
Hi Yendor,
thanks for the schematic
rechecked fuses and all are fine (bugger)
checked injector pump for NATS solenoid, believe i have found it and it has 12V at electrical plug.
The third cable at the plug i assume is the signal from the NATS IMMU? This will switch the CSOLU on when key is verified?

My next question,
how do i check that the ignition key is being read by the NATS?
how can you check that the NATS is sending the signal to the CSOLU? What voltage is the signal, can i be measured, presume not 12v.
Where is the NATS IMMU, saw a black box behind drivers kick panel, seems to have same number of wires as the schematic on its plug.

Yendor
8th October 2013, 05:34 PM
There should be 3 wires going to the black box on the injector pump.

Brown wire has 12 volts when ignition is turned on
Black is earth
Light Green receives the.... it's ok to start signal.

You are unable to tell if the key chip has been read correctly or if it is sending an ok to start signal. As far as I can tell, even Nissan can't tell this.

The signal is not a set voltage it is either a rolling type code or data communication sent between the two modules.

When you turn the ignition on and go to start the vehicle, the red security light should turn off. Normally when the NATS plays up on the TD42 it is a CSOLU fault.

If you want to have the NATS repaired you will need to take the vehicle to a Nissan dealer, regardless of what component is faulty, as it need to programmed to the vehicle.

The box behind the drivers side kick panel will be your glow plug controller, the NATS unit is up behind the glove box.

Did you purchase this vehicle not running?

Halvorsen
9th October 2013, 08:07 AM
Looks like a trip to Mr Nissan,

Thanks for your help Yendor

Have had vehicle since new, I will post Nissan's diagnosis

NP99
9th October 2013, 08:15 AM
Mat, is this the same problem you and Steve worked on with Steve's truck?

nissannewby
9th October 2013, 12:05 PM
Mat, is this the same problem you and Steve worked on with Steve's truck?

No but it is the same problem we had with Paul's earlier this year. It would crank and not fire and the light would stay on on the dash. We ended up removing the black box on the back of the pump and just wiring the solenoid to the 12v supply. This means there is no security but it runs now. The job was a little how you doing but it worked.

Halvorsen
9th October 2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks Newby,

Does the IP need to be removed to access the solenoid?

Looks tight for room if im looking in the right place!

Does anyone have pics of the solenoid?

nissannewby
9th October 2013, 02:32 PM
We did it in car. We used a Dremel to grind the heads off the bolts and a large screw driver.

There isn't a lot of room removing the battery and intercooler will help. RLI may have some photos around here somewhere of his.

Yendor
11th October 2013, 11:03 PM
So.............how did it go?

Halvorsen
13th October 2013, 09:45 PM
Hi Y,

Have had battery on charge for the last few days,

Put back together and bugger me the bloddy thing started first try!!

Still has security light on solid on dash though.

Have dropped at the local nissan dealer for check up.

Halvorsen
19th October 2013, 09:21 AM
Vehicle has been with Nissan for the last week, all their interrogation of the system has shown there is faults on the immobilizer system. They cant determine which part is in fault and seem to want to replace components 1 by 1.

Yendor
20th October 2013, 03:58 PM
What a PITA, what component do they want to replace first?

You seem keen not to disconnect NATS. This is your decision and I respect that but can I ask why?

Halvorsen
7th November 2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Yendor,

Finally good news and bad,

Nissan removed the IP and bypassed the immobiliser solenoid, :smile:

Then it turns bad, :(
Had vehicle returned and found seriously lacking power!!
Another trip to Nissan, injector timing rechecked and adjusted and vaccum hose found off intercooler.

Picked up vehicle again,
Peforming better but still lacking power,
Wife contacted dealer and told by service manager it is the way she is driving the vehicle,
Obviously this converation didnt end well.

Checked over engine myself and found line from injector pump to intercooler not attached.
Boss is now happy as peformance is back
Also found
Injector lines clamps missing from recent works
Drivers guard all scratched by mechanics.

Another trip to Nissan to voice my concerns
Totally over Nissan Hornsby!!

Yendor
7th November 2013, 07:37 PM
Mate, I know where you are coming from.

My current GU that I purchased new and only had 3 warranty claims,

1. Squealing drive belt.

2. Blistering dash (replaced twice for same problem).

3. Carpet near, the drivers left foot had torn.

and with each item the dealers comment was "what did you do to cause this" or "I haven't seen that before"

The only thing that lets down the Patrol is Nissan Australia and it's dealers.

Hopefully the not starting is all sorted now.

The other thing to consider is now that your NATS is disconnected this may effect your insurance policy.

Halvorsen
9th November 2013, 02:53 PM
Similar faults with ours, but generally been extremely reliable.

Dash has blisters as well.

Recent nats fault, not bad for 05 model.

jskogsta
4th October 2017, 02:20 PM
How is the process for a TD42 different to a ZD30 (Y61 DI)? I seem to have a few intermittent problems with NATS (Ecutalk is giving NATS and pump error codes... or did in the past). Occasionally the car starts, but then again all goes pearshaped and turning the ignition yields no lights (not any...) and no cranking. Thinking first step would be to fully remove NATS, as I either way do not want to be stuck out bush with that problem. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance... /Jorgen