PDA

View Full Version : Memory map app for IPhone.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd October 2013, 06:31 PM
I just downloaded the Memory Map App, which is a handy little GPS mapping app. With a tracker so you know exactly where you are, where you've been and where you wanna go.
Maps aren't super clear when you zoom right in. But me being a novice would think it would help to locate where I am if I didn't have a paper map.

megatexture
3rd October 2013, 06:46 PM
Have you only got the base map ? Or more detailed ones ? But yea I love mine

Winnie
3rd October 2013, 06:46 PM
I use it on iPad and it's brilliant

Drewboyaus
3rd October 2013, 07:25 PM
Mego, let me know which map you have purchased for the trip and I will share the equivalent electronic version with you.
I have scanned and calibrated all the maps for the area we are going next weekend.
You will need to download the Memory Map application for PC and pay $50 to be able to import your own maps.
Check out my how to thread in here, that will give you all the info you need.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd October 2013, 07:51 PM
Have you only got the base map ? Or more detailed ones ? But yea I love mine

I don't know. Something 250

megatexture
3rd October 2013, 07:55 PM
Thats the base map that you can download . It loads as you go so if you went out of mobile reception and continue driving it wont load the next section . But will still record where your going

If you know where your going you can pre download group data of like 500 km radius of a location or purchase more maps or load your own

MudRunnerTD
3rd October 2013, 07:57 PM
Thats the base map that you can download . It loads as you go so if you went out of mobile reception and continue driving it wont load the next section . But will still record where your going

Right??? Well that sux a bit?

Drewboyaus
3rd October 2013, 08:02 PM

Yeah but you buy map packs. It's the same app as Hema. I have hundreds of maps pre-loaded on my iPad

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2013, 08:06 PM
Is a free download On android. What sorta costs are expected for decent maps?
And how are you guys finding the interface? Obviously would be easier to plan trips on the computer over phone.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd October 2013, 08:13 PM
Well I just started playing with the app
And found a Vic east map , clicked on it and said $149.00 for a map. Really.

megatexture
3rd October 2013, 08:22 PM
Its really just a try before you buy sort of thing and it loads as you go to keep the initial down load smaller i guess

Drewboyaus
3rd October 2013, 08:29 PM
Well I just started playing with the app
And found a Vic east map , clicked on it and said $149.00 for a map. Really.

Mate, they are the topo maps of Eastern Victoria. They are very detailed topo maps but the best high country maps are the Rooftops series of maps.
I have those topo maps but almost never use them. Always use the Rooftops.

Drewboyaus
3rd October 2013, 08:36 PM
Is a free download On android. What sorta costs are expected for decent maps?
And how are you guys finding the interface? Obviously would be easier to plan trips on the computer over phone.

Westy, if you have your own maps you can scan, calibrate and import them into the application using your PC.
I bought the Hema app. It's the same app but packaged with the full set of Hema maps. I bought a full set of Rooftops Maps for the high country and am slowly scanning and calibrating them for use in the app.

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2013, 09:38 PM
Ow ok, so you done need to buy heaps.
But yea I was sorta expecting what Mego just found out.. Lol
I have a few good 4x4 map books at home.. So I should be able to scan them in yes???

trekster
3rd October 2013, 09:41 PM
I use memory map on my iphone with a 25k map I downloaded off a torrent, I track myself then email myself and can open it up on the pc version to see where I have been.

NP99
3rd October 2013, 09:50 PM
I use memory map on my iphone with a 25k map I downloaded off a torrent, I track myself then email myself and can open it up on the pc version to see where I have been.

25k is a good detailed map.

trekster
3rd October 2013, 09:56 PM
Absolutely, price was right too :p

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2013, 10:21 PM
Where's the link...

NP99
3rd October 2013, 10:29 PM
Where's the link...

Can't go public with that link mate....torrents are, well?....

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2013, 10:46 PM
Can't go public with that link mate....torrents are, well?....

Yea fair enough.. Pm me hay.
I reckon I'll grab this one.
Quick question though, then downloading on the fly, does it save the maps, or just stream then?

NP99
3rd October 2013, 11:12 PM
Over to you Eric?.....

trekster
7th October 2013, 10:14 PM
Over to you Eric?.....

If you have a map downloaded and installed on your device then it's on there and won't need to stream, I'll pm you some info tomorrow night westy.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Drewboyaus
7th October 2013, 10:24 PM
Personally, I prefer to pay for my maps and know that I'm contributing to the businesses that produce them.......so they will continue to do so.
Westy, as a vendor I would expect you to be acutely aware of this, given it is the same as if someone helped themselves to all the good things you make in your shed.
And yes, I pay for my music and the movies that I watch.
Please respect the work of others.

BigRAWesty
8th October 2013, 09:56 AM
Absolutely Drew. My music collection is shoit due to the last CD I bought was the Off spring greatest hits, or Americana.. One of them. Lol
I was just wondering if it saved the streamed maps, or if it was like my tracks which just overlaps Google maps so when outta service it stops.
I guess this will be the same unless you purchase the maps. Or scan in your own.