PDA

View Full Version : Rd 28 heads

90mav
3rd October 2013, 03:01 PM
I Recently bought a 98 GU ST rd28 manual which came with a blown head gasket and welch plug in back of the head. This is not unusual as I have discovered but was wondering if there was any particular reason why they blow and if there is any way to prevent it happening again. I know many will say to replace it with a TD42 and forget it but that is not an option at the moment.
Is it just a result of overheating and warping an alloy head? Its kind of strange to see a diesel with alloy head I thought...?
If I have to get a new one are there any better ones to buy? Obviously the genuine ones arent that great...

rkinsey
3rd October 2013, 03:16 PM
I have found that it is generally form people not maintaining their cooling systems which overheat the engine and warp the head. So the Head has to be replaced. I have the GQ RD28T (not sure if its the same or similar engine) and mine had this issue. Cost me $4000.00 to replace the head, radiator, water pump associated gaskets, seals and sundry bits.

I should of had the whole motor rebuilt for $5500.00 though. (Im now up for a rebuild two years later)

The head I got from a place in Penrith (I will have to look them up again to tell you who) for $1800.00 which is an after market unit manufactured in Mexico apparently.

If I were you, check the whole engine over. Replace the radiator with an oversize aluminium unit (about $700.00 manufactured in Melbourne) check the water pump and replace all hoses.

Cheers,

Rob