PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when you neglect to service your diffs

Homercleez
3rd October 2013, 12:48 AM
After having my car serviced by nissan for 7 years all i ever did after that was drop the engine oil every 10000. Well i guess ill be doing alot more than that from now on after this effort a couple of weeks ago. It happened with no warning signs or noises just a horrendous rattle and then bang. The first three pics are self explanatory and the next two show the sideways movement in the crown gear. Both Carrier bearings were nackered also the pinion bearing. Some of the damage would have been caused by having to drive on it for another 50kms. The good news is its all up and going again and also found that the left hand axle bearing was stuffed, that all good too now.

megatexture
3rd October 2013, 01:00 AM
no pics mate ?

Homercleez
3rd October 2013, 01:16 AM
theyve uploaded now. too big before.

megatexture
3rd October 2013, 01:19 AM
Yea thats not looking good lol

nissannewby
3rd October 2013, 01:40 AM
Didn't happen in reverse did it?

sil3nt_dr3ams
3rd October 2013, 02:32 AM
lol please somebody explain how this happened to a patrol diff?

Col.T
8th October 2013, 10:03 AM
G'day team,
be good to know wouldn't it?
Failure to change oil as per service species surely wouldn't do that,,, would it? Can't quite see how using the car, even working it real hard, could either.
Maybe have to put it down to one fatigue problem with one diff at one time in one place or something.
Mind you, if Mr. Nissan didn't think servicing was really needed, he wouldn't include it in the service schedule.
Yet another of lifes mysteries???
Col

Parksy
9th October 2013, 09:04 PM
Not having opened up a patrol diff before, but the backlash between the crown wheel and pinion is adjustable, with some sort of locking mechanism to stop it from loosing that adjustment. My guess is that it either had incorrect backlash to begin with or it worked its way loose.

trekster
9th October 2013, 09:17 PM
ouchies indeed! (in more ways then one!)

NP99
9th October 2013, 09:36 PM
Better found at home than on a track! How much oil drained out?

BigRAWesty
9th October 2013, 09:43 PM
pretty sure the patrols backlash is set by spacing the pinion gear out into the crown gear. as things wear the backlash increases.
The more wear, the more files, the faster the wear.. a vicious cycle..
unfortunately, yours went a bit far...

Bugga.. time for some higher ratios and bugger tyres... lol

happygu
9th October 2013, 10:01 PM
Not good at all ... but it is fixable ( well replaceable ) and you should be back on the road in no time at all

Homercleez
16th October 2013, 11:45 AM
Didn't happen in reverse did it?

No it went pretty much without warning on the hume doing 110. hasnt had much abuse in the last 12 months.

Homercleez
16th October 2013, 11:50 AM
Not good at all ... but it is fixable ( well replaceable ) and you should be back on the road in no time at all

Yeah all back on the road the weekend later. But then found the left hand axle bearing was knackered so had to get that fixed too.