PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing a GQ RB30.

mudnut
2nd October 2013, 11:05 PM
G'day, all. I have used the search function to research waterproofing my RB30.
I have found these ideas so far. 1) Running 1-2psi air to diff and trans, gearbox breathers, winch and dissy cap. 2) Fitting a snorkel. 3) Use a sealant, sparingly, on both ends of each high tension lead.

I want to know if there is a seal between the harmonic balancer and the timing belt cover. Also I would like peoples input/ ideas to further protect the running gear. Cheers mudnut.

taslucas
3rd October 2013, 08:05 AM
I would probably suggest not to pressurise your diff and trans. Extending their breathers up nice and high would be better I reckon. My front diff, trans case and gearbox breathers all join together and I run them into a cheap fuel filter which is mounted as high as I can in the firewall.
Rear diff breather can be extended and run up inside rear quarter panel.
Leads should be ok.
I have heard of people pressurising the dissy.
You may also want to move your coil higher.
Are you running sealed beam headlights?
Make sure your door seals are in good condition.

mudnut
3rd October 2013, 10:34 AM
I have all of the breathers extended to the top of the p/s firewall and I have stock headlights. Moving the coil is easily achievable, thanks, for the tip, Lucas.

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2013, 01:59 PM
I would worry about the engine as such, but more the accessories to run it.
Beathers which you have done.
Snorkle. Fill gaps with quality silicone.
I have read blokes pressuring the dizzy to keep water out, but that would require a bit of work. The 'water off' product of some sort works well, I think TD mentioned his mate used the spray on stuff, put a cup if water into the dizzy, assembled and it ran like a dream..

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2013, 02:04 PM
Never wet is what it is called..

mudnut
3rd October 2013, 05:05 PM
That stuff would be good as a second defence, Kallen. I have a small air tank which I can fit up to the on board compressor. I will get a regulator to run real low pressure to the dissy. Does anyone know if it is feasible to drill into the cap or into the body? Having pressure to the timing belt cover might stop a bit of water entering, if there is no seal behind the balancer.

BigRAWesty
3rd October 2013, 05:52 PM
Then your compressor is running constantly to supply air.
Unless your thinking of turning the car into a submarine then I think it's all a little over the top. And by drilling here, pressureizing there your just adding more systems to fail..
KISS...
By the time you have to worry about coil, timing belt cover etc and the amount of water to trickle in and do damage your going to have a transportable pool inside the cab..
If all your timing cover, rocket cover etc seals are in good nick then you should have no issues.. If you have no oil leaks, then no water can get in is the way I look at it..

taslucas
3rd October 2013, 07:10 PM
As said, I've heard of pressurising the dissy but never actually seen it. Maybe I'll google it later. One thing I just thought of is this:
Many people mention that a possible cause of the engine missing is a crack in the dissy cap, which makes me wonder if tapping a hole in there could cause issues?

mudnut
3rd October 2013, 07:48 PM
You both could be right, but the timing belt kit only came with two seals; one for the cam shaft and one for the front engine seal. I don't think there is one between the plastic belt cover and the harmonic balancer. I could imagine the damage muddy water could do to the belt. My local club is planning a high country trip, and there is to be a few deep crossings. There is no way I would take the Rb30 with out it being ready.

mudnut
5th November 2013, 09:36 PM
G'day all. So far, I have fitted a an air nipple to the top of the timing belt cover, because some muddy water did enter it and got splashed around inside. I have had to take out all of the carpet and dry it out, but some of the underlay has gone mouldy. I have used sikaflex around all of the plastic inserts and open bolt holes in the floor pan. I have replaced a bearing in the alternator and packed both bearings with marine grade grease. I will leave the compressor under the rear passenger seat, but I will run a hose higher up inside the cab and fit the inlet filter on the end and lift its control wiring to inside the rear quarter panel. I have used the search function and found some gems of ideas, such as using small sealable plastic food boxes for any sensitive electrics. I will use one to seal the connectors under the front passenger seat. Does it make much difference to noise in the cab, if I strip off the underlay and just put the carpet down with out it? Or is there any easy CHEAP solution?

taslucas
5th November 2013, 09:41 PM
A mate got free factory seconds of house carpet underlay to put in his.
Or there's the option of painting the rubberised sound deadender/water sealant as others have done on here.
Do they have the ecu in the passenger side footwell like a TB42? If so then it might be worth lifting higher out of any water ingress

mudnut
5th November 2013, 09:47 PM
My rb has a carby, but the standard loom runs to that foot well which is the connectors I mentioned. It is actually a bugger of a spot to mount an ECU on a 4wd anyway.

taslucas
5th November 2013, 10:03 PM
My rb has a carby, but the standard loom runs to that foot well which is the connectors I mentioned. It is actually a bugger of a spot to mount an ECU on a 4wd anyway.

Yeah the TB42 (not "e") is carby but they have a ecu module there. They also have a tcu (transmission control unit) next to it for the autos

nissannewby
5th November 2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah can use a surgical glove to try and seal your distributor using the fingers for your leads then you just put some silicon to help seal again and a zip tie or hose clamp around the base.

mudnut
5th November 2013, 10:47 PM
Cool idea, Matt. A hell of a lot easier than pressurising it.

mudnut
17th November 2013, 01:05 PM
I took this picture, today, as I had the passenger seat out. The connector is normally covered by the black plastic which I have cut to fit the small box. I have sealed, (with sikaflex) the holes I cut out where the wires enter the box. The black box is just sitting there. I use it as storage for the winch controller.