PDA

View Full Version : what is an MAF

tonym9643
1st October 2013, 11:41 PM
hi guys . learning about my gu 3.o litre diesel..
I have a catch can . question 1/ it has a little oil in the clear glass thingamajig. do I empty this and how ?

2/ what is an MAF ? do I need to clean this ?

megatexture
1st October 2013, 11:49 PM
There is lots of info if you use the search button and look up " nads" or maf on the forum, but cleaning the mass airflow sensor (maf)is a good idea and draining the catch can can be done every service or less frequently depending on how much it catches. Easily monitored if you have a glass bowl, what brand catch can do you have that it has a glass bowl? Sure its not a after market fuel filter?

NP99
1st October 2013, 11:50 PM
I'm not into diesels but for Q2, buy a can of maf cleaner from repo or super cheap, about $20. Yes, you need to clean it and be careful, they cost a lot if you break them!

mudski
1st October 2013, 11:59 PM
A maf is a Mass Air Flow sensor. In a nutshell it has a little wire in it which gets electrically charged and when air is passed through it via the air intake it measures air speed and density and tells the ecu to adjust the fuel ratio accordingly for your car to go broom broom. It is found just after the airbox, it has a grey looking plug going to it with four wires in it.
Its a good idea to clean it every service with some maf spray which can be had from Supercheap.
Remember not to over tighten the screws up when you put it back in. And a lught smear of grease on the o'ring helps with installing it and sealing up from dust too.

Limmy
3rd October 2013, 09:07 PM
Remember not to over tighten the screws up when you put it back in..

lol !! that was my problem. those torx screws, i rounded them. was a nightmare to get off

megatexture
3rd October 2013, 09:08 PM
The first time I took mine off I replaced the screws with Philips head

NP99
3rd October 2013, 09:44 PM
Torx normally means keep out........ :)

mudski
3rd October 2013, 11:47 PM
When you tighten them up I only do them hand tight. It wont come undone.As you are screwing into a plastic housing and if done too tight you will strip the plastic thread in the housing. A bit a grease ib the o'ring helos seal it up too.

P4trol
4th October 2013, 09:48 AM
Are people only taking out the sensor to clean?

I have been taking out the short piece of intake pipe to clean.

(unless it is a difference between a 2.8 and 3L?)

Limmy
5th October 2013, 01:07 AM
i changed mine to allen key heads. now easier to access with allen key

mudski
6th October 2013, 08:53 PM
Are people only taking out the sensor to clean?

I have been taking out the short piece of intake pipe to clean.

(unless it is a difference between a 2.8 and 3L?)
Yeah the 2.8's you have to remove that whole unit.

barnelly
15th October 2013, 08:45 AM
Barnelly here,
Mudski thanks for the MAF description thats what I call concise, I'm going out now to find it,
-----Found it important little sucker!