PDA

View Full Version : Another egr topic

paps01
29th September 2013, 05:11 PM
Goodaye guys ( and girls?) Is it possible blocking the EGR results in varying temp gauge readouts? I've had my td42ti for two years. Have done a trip to cape york in may/june and several trips around Vic at all times of the year. The pipe on my EGR broke five weeks ago and the mechanic blocked it of as we were leaving for Central Australia the next day. During this trip I have found the temp starting to rise on long hills and in the hot conditions in the Centre go up to 3/4 when driving into a head wind or sitting on 110 k's. It has never been over half before. Could this be related. Does the turbo run hotter with the EGR blocked and deliver hotter coolant back into the engine? Any thoughts?

kevin07
29th September 2013, 05:34 PM
i would think your temps would come down with egr block but im not sure as im talking zd30 your didnt do anything else like change the radiator fluid or something else

nissannewby
29th September 2013, 06:35 PM
Yeah they should come down once blocked as the exhaust gas is circulated through a cooler before entering the manifold. Its also advised if blocking the egr on a 4.2 to remove the butterfly at the inlet of the intercooler. Your radiator may just be starting to build up with debris or the cooling system could need a good service.

When I removed me EGR system from my 4.2 it run smoother and cooler.

my third 256
30th September 2013, 08:02 AM
could be thermostat /sounds a bit like that

paps01
30th September 2013, 11:27 AM
i would think your temps would come down with egr block but im not sure as im talking zd30 your didnt do anything else like change the radiator fluid or something else[/QUOTE] Yes I did. I had it flushed and replaced just prior to leaving on the trip. Could that be it?

paps01
30th September 2013, 05:30 PM
i would think your temps would come down with egr block but im not sure as im talking zd30 your didnt do anything else like change the radiator fluid or something else
Ineresting you should say that. I had the system flushed just before we left. I spoke to the guy today who said that two tings could influecnce it. One, thinner coolant (not genuine nissan) can go through the system faster and not cool efficiently or two, flushing the radiator could allow the coolant through the system quicker with the same result. He also said that diesel Patrols will use most of the temp guage without it being a problem. I am going to get genuine coolant in it and see how that goes.

paps01
4th October 2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks to the guys that replied to this query. The thermostat was stuffed which just coincided with the other things I had done to it before the trip. Cheers.