PDA

View Full Version : RD28T timing gear,

Reeves
29th September 2013, 04:48 PM
Last weekend myself and a friend went to do my timing belt and front Crank seal as it has been leaking since I bought the car last year, we had no issues getting it all off until we got to the Timing Gear on the Crank, we spent 5 hours trying to get it off and with no luck,

I had the car towed to my work and I have made a little bit of progress we got the gear to move about half an inch forward with the help of smacking a chisel in behind it,

I need to get it off and fixed as its my daily drive, I am an apprentice mechanic at a Nissan dealership, but I am just asking for some advice and tips on how to get it off. I have a new timing gear, keyway and backing plate, just need to get the old gear off.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

Cheers, Reeves

Col.T
29th September 2013, 07:04 PM
G'day Reevesie,
Sorry I can't help, never even seen under the bonnet of one of them 28's.
Always though had some reservations about the traditional 'get a bigger hammer' approach. Particularly if splines or shafts are involved. Take care mate!
Don't know the job as said so I assume a gear puller isn't a goer. What about heat? A torch can sometimes get a break on a sealed join.
Bit surprised the old buggers at the shop haven't come across it before. Put a 6pack up on offer and see how that goes for suggestions.
Luck,
Col

Col.T
30th September 2013, 07:24 PM
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php%3F3155-Timing-Belt&sa=U&ei=yDpJUubdCur72QWv44HQBQ&ved=0CBMQFjAE&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNH3iploz48HOLHSX1xBt0IYHvkivw
Reevesie,
not getting much response so far are you?
Dunno how to do this copying of sites into a thread but the one above may have something of use, if you can get it to connect. Jeeeeeez I'm old and dumb!
If it doesn't work, go to the search panel, top right of screen, and type in TIMING GEAR or similar and read through the threads that come up. may get something.
Don't forget to give ud the answer when you get it.
Cheers
Col
p.s. if the six pack offer didn't work, you may need to go higher.

Reeves
30th September 2013, 09:29 PM
Yeah cheers for that, we tried heat at the start but it only worked a little bit, there wasn't enough room behind the gear to get a puller on it so I booked it in at work I bit the bullet and well it worked, this is the result

Col.T
1st October 2013, 06:41 PM
Can you talk me through it mate?
Can see something hanging there but if the gear puller wouldn't fit, how'd it come in the long run???
thanks,
Col

nissannewby
2nd October 2013, 04:47 AM
They have bodged one up. They have welded the bolts of the straight to the gear by the looks?

Col.T
2nd October 2013, 07:09 PM
Nissboy,
yeah looks like.
Bloody hell! .....still, what else hey?
Col

the ferret
2nd October 2013, 07:34 PM
Mate, you need to drill the gear and use a puller, don't damage the tin plate behind the gear or you will need to buy a new gear.
Drill and tap M6 each side of the gear all the way in.( don't damage the timing mark on the gear.)
When you have it ready to assemble, use loctite on the harmonic bolt, and use a new key.
Never use oxy on a crank.
Don't forget to replace the tensioner and Idler while you are at it .
Cheers, the ferret.

the ferret
2nd October 2013, 07:37 PM
They have bodged one up. They have welded the bolts of the straight to the gear by the looks?

No fn idea some people!!!
Cheers, the ferret.

bluengold
13th October 2013, 06:22 PM
Mate, you need to drill the gear and use a puller, don't damage the tin plate behind the gear or you will need to buy a new gear.
Drill and tap M6 each side of the gear all the way in.( don't damage the timing mark on the gear.)
When you have it ready to assemble, use loctite on the harmonic bolt, and use a new key.
Never use oxy on a crank.
Don't forget to replace the tensioner and Idler while you are at it .
Cheers, the ferret.

Reeves, this is correct I did it early in September all I did was I cut the drill bit down and then I was able to fit my air drill in be careful you don't bugger up your radiator fins. with the puller mine came off the ridiculous ease. only thing else I can say is don't move the crankshaft. :)
have fun...