PDA

View Full Version : which battery?

89gqpatrol4x4
29th September 2013, 02:01 PM
Going to have a stab at fitting a dual battery over the next week or so and would like to know what type of battery do you use? I want to run everything off the second battery except for start and the winch. That means fridge, spot lights, light bar, uhf, compressor etc. Is that a good idea? and what sort of battery deep cycle, or normal start type? Also should I try and get the fuse block into the cab or is it ok in the engine bay?
Thanks Rob

BigRAWesty
29th September 2013, 02:12 PM
Hay mate. Very easy diy project so enjoy it.
Im guessing you have the tray already?
Secondly, what sort of dollars do you want to spend??

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2013, 02:44 PM
Deep cycle for sure and a fuse block on the fire wall would be a winner.

89gqpatrol4x4
29th September 2013, 03:00 PM
Hay mate. Very easy diy project so enjoy it.
Im guessing you have the tray already?
Secondly, what sort of dollars do you want to spend??
going to get the tray tomorrow will be pirahana or will see what arb/tjm offer. Well we all want cheap as possible but quality as well so not sure really! what it is, Is what it is

TimE
29th September 2013, 03:11 PM
What I have done is installed 2 extra 100 ah AGMs. One in the engine bay (has been there 5 years without issue (touch wood)) and one in the back back next to the second fridge that has been there for a year without issue. In the engine bay I have a Redarc isolator between the cranking and 1st aux, from this aux I have a THICK cable running back into the cab for the 3rd battery, both ends of the cable go through 50 amp circuit breakers. AGMs aren't cheap but do the best job for me I reckon, and can safely be used in the cab. As mentioned above I have a fuse box on the firewall with power to it from the aux and most extras connected via it. I run the compressor directly off the battery, draws a fair bit of current and would melt small fuses (it runs via a Maxi fuse).

Like you intend, I run every thing off the second aux battery, except the winch. The winch runs off the 760cca starter battery.

As part of my regular routine I connect my Ctek 7000 charger at least once per month to fully charge up all the batteries and connect and run it overnight before any trip. Run the fridges overnight too before a trip so I leave home with everything cold and the batteries fully charged.

Hope this all makes sense :)