PDA

View Full Version : Gu steering box in gq HELP

healy
29th September 2013, 11:27 AM
Ive put my gu steering box, draglink, steering damper & tierod into the Q and topped up fluid. Now I cant turn wheel at all it just goes off its face as soon as I touch it and shut the car off. Any advice?? theres a nipple on top off steering box is that to release air??

my third 256
29th September 2013, 11:32 AM
dont you turn it full one way then turn full the other way and this cleares it
saw this in another thread try the search bleading power steering

healy
29th September 2013, 12:33 PM
Cheers for that. What do I use to bleed it? Ive been to supercheap and bursons with no help there.

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2013, 01:13 PM
jack the car up and sit the front diff on jack stands with no weight on the wheels. then turn the wheel Lock to Lock a dozen times and it should settle down. Did you also fit the GU diff housings? If not then your Tie Rod and Drag link will be too long and they also run a different taper on the tie rod ends.

Parksy
29th September 2013, 01:54 PM
Yes open the bleed nipple with a hose attached into a bucket. Do it while the engine is running. You will find in the straight ahead position you won't get much flow, but when turning the wheel to the left, you get pressure. Can take a little while for the air to clear.

healy
29th September 2013, 02:11 PM
Ive tried cap off and on while turning the wheels nearly had my shoulder ripped off So I should release the nipple with a hose other than the lid off or both??

Parksy
29th September 2013, 03:58 PM
Open the bleed nipple on the steering box and put a hose on it just like you would when bleeding the brakes. You will need the cap off it anyway because it will need refilling.

healy
29th September 2013, 05:20 PM
All sorted now cheers

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2013, 06:00 PM
All sorted now cheers

How did you sort it Healy?

healy
29th September 2013, 07:29 PM
How did you sort it Healy?

Stripped everything off and started again all works fine now