PDA

View Full Version : Siingle din slide out dvd

liveyk7
28th September 2013, 06:52 PM
Hey y'll

Does anyone have a single din dvd player installed in a gu? Any recommendations? I want to mount the uhf in the second bit of the space.. so decided to go single din..
Don't really need the dvd but only looking for one for reverse camera function.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

paulyg
29th September 2013, 09:04 AM
Hi liveyk7, I had one of those once it was not very good in a 4x4, the screen moves around a lot on the bumps and it failed after a while.
I went back to a 2 din much better, and I got a uhf where the display is separate to the main part of the unit,
I mounted the main unit under the seat and the display is just near the cup holders takes up very little room and works great for me.

my third 256
29th September 2013, 10:11 AM
got a pioneer very happy ang has gps and all the trimmings

liveyk7
29th September 2013, 10:20 AM
Hey 256

How much did that cost ya and where abouts did you pick that up from?

liveyk7
29th September 2013, 10:21 AM
Hey pauly

I just need it mostly for reverse camera and music. I have a gps and all that already.
Or I might just get a seperate gps screen and mount to rear veiw mirror ..

04OFF
29th September 2013, 11:58 AM
If you have a "early" GU, you may want to concider the fact that a single din screen in the open position, may block your centre A/C vents ?

But if you have it closed all the time, and so only use it for reversing, i think you may find it too slow to extend for viewing ,once you select reverse, you need that image straight away !

liveyk7
29th September 2013, 12:46 PM
If you have a "early" GU, you may want to concider the fact that a single din screen in the open position, may block your centre A/C vents

But if you have it closed all the time, and so only use it for reversing, i think you may find it too slow to extend for viewing ,once you select reverse, you need that image straight away !

Mines a gu 4 so it has the little box above.
True too.. im always in a hurry so that will be slow.. lol.

Been thinking if I can squeeze in a screen in there possibly a 7 inch Chinese gps which has av input at the back.
The one I have is on the side so is not practical I guess.
I can then use that as the reverse camera screen plus gps.. then just get a basic single din cd player. With usb..
Has anyone achieved anything like this?

paulyg
29th September 2013, 02:38 PM
What about one those reverse cameras that display on the rear view mirror?
then you can use what ever audio and uhf that you like.

liveyk7
29th September 2013, 10:27 PM
What about one those reverse cameras that display on the rear view mirror?
then you can use what ever audio and uhf that you like.

Too tiny.. lol..
Its mainly for the mrs too. As she currently has a million complaints about the troll and im addressing the main concerns first.
Otherwise I cud never drink if I go somewhere with the family as she wont drive then ;(

my third 256
30th September 2013, 07:33 AM
Hey 256

How much did that cost ya and where abouts did you pick that up from?

got it from this mob plenty tu choose from
http://www.ryda.com.au/Pioneer-Car-Audio-Visual-s/379.htm

04OFF
30th September 2013, 08:34 AM
Too tiny.. lol..
Its mainly for the mrs too. As she currently has a million complaints about the troll and im addressing the main concerns first.

Understand now why its "needed"

liveyk7
30th September 2013, 10:27 AM
Has anyone who changed speakers on the gu4 need any spacers etf for new speakers to go on? Or are they a direct fit for a 6 inch speaker?

oddkid82
30th September 2013, 10:29 AM
Has anyone who changed speakers on the gu4 need any spacers etf for new speakers to go on? Or are they a direct fit for a 6 inch speaker?

I have just changed mine over and they are a direct 6inch change over

liveyk7
30th September 2013, 11:17 AM
I have just changed mine over and they are a direct 6inch change over

Oh sweet. . Did u put in any splits?

paulyg
30th September 2013, 06:11 PM
Yes got to make the troll wife friendly, I put 61/2 inch alpines in mine, splits in the front and two ways in the back fitted no problems,
Mines a GU 2 but should be the same.

Coldcomfort
30th September 2013, 06:34 PM
I have just gone down the speaker path with my GU8. I don't think that there is any size difference between the two models. Started with some 6" JBL speakers crap.... Then some Alpine 6" speakers a bit less crap but crap just the same.... Then.... I got hold of a couple pair of Fusion two way splits.... Perfect fit into the patrol and are a couple of little gems! They sound fantastic. I am driving them with a pioneer AVIC-F40BT unit that only puts out 50 watts X 4 but the speakers perform extremely well. And they are no more expensive than other brands....

http://www.fusionelectronics.com/car/products/speakers-cp-series/pf-cm650

paulyg
30th September 2013, 07:59 PM
Jeez coldcomfort, I don't now what alpine speakers you used but my type R sound great.
I am running alpine head unit and after I hooked up the amp they sounded even better some speakers need more power than most head units alone can supply to sound there best.

Coldcomfort
30th September 2013, 10:40 PM
Jeez coldcomfort, I don't now what alpine speakers you used but my type R sound great.
I am running alpine head unit and after I hooked up the amp they sounded even better some speakers need more power than most head units alone can supply to sound there best.

Mate I was blown away by the difference between the fusion and Alpine....

But I told a porky. The speakers I bought are the FUSION RE-CM650 6.5" REACTOR SERIES SPLITS. They are quite a bit heavier the the Alpine units and that comes obvious in the bass ability of the Fusions. They are as solid in bass lines as my Martin Logan montis home stereo set up.... Well in the car they are....I think that I paid about $140 a pair.....

liveyk7
1st October 2013, 01:25 AM
Mate I was blown away by the difference between the fusion and Alpine....

But I told a porky. The speakers I bought are the FUSION RE-CM650 6.5" REACTOR SERIES SPLITS. They are quite a bit heavier the the Alpine units and that comes obvious in the bass ability of the Fusions. They are as solid in bass lines as my Martin Logan montis home stereo set up.... Well in the car they are....I think that I paid about $140 a pair.....

Mate what did you get in the rear.?

I found the same speakers with splits as yours. Looks impressive. . 169 Inc postage. Perfect for the fronts.

How did you mount the tweeters?

Coldcomfort
1st October 2013, 11:34 AM
Mate what did you get in the rear.?

I found the same speakers with splits as yours. Looks impressive. . 169 Inc postage. Perfect for the fronts.

How did you mount the tweeters?

Rear
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/outbackjack0870/IMG_0671_zps77c20a5b.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/outbackjack0870/media/IMG_0671_zps77c20a5b.jpg.html)
Front
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/outbackjack0870/IMG_0670_zps8c896460.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/outbackjack0870/media/IMG_0670_zps8c896460.jpg.html)

The install was pretty straight forward. Fidly but doable...

liveyk7
1st October 2013, 03:34 PM
Did you run them via an amp or direct to head unit mate?

Is a subby hitched up too?

Coldcomfort
1st October 2013, 06:22 PM
Did you run them via an amp or direct to head unit mate?

Is a subby hitched up too?

No amp. Just the 50 watts from the pioneer unit. Wait until you hear these fusion speakers before you go down the sub path. They have amazing bass ability by themselves. But if you really want serious doof doof then a sub is the way.

liveyk7
2nd October 2013, 09:38 AM
No amp. Just the 50 watts from the pioneer unit. Wait until you hear these fusion speakers before you go down the sub path. They have amazing bass ability by themselves. But if you really want serious doof doof then a sub is the way.

If metallica/audioslave etc sound good that's all that matters!!!

Now the head unit, if I use a harness for the gu4 will be an easy install? Ie remove existing unit, put in new unit, connect harness to factory wiring into head unit, put single din frame and tadaaa??

Coldcomfort
2nd October 2013, 03:55 PM
If metallica/audioslave etc sound good that's all that matters!!!

Now the head unit, if I use a harness for the gu4 will be an easy install? Ie remove existing unit, put in new unit, connect harness to factory wiring into head unit, put single din frame and tadaaa??

I installed a double DIN pioneer unit. I had to make my own harness. Was not hard, just time consuming. Most units have a standard now that you just hook up to pre made harness's. If you goggle the topic you will see dozens of options. Even repco and super cheap have a limited amount of conversion harness's. Cant talk about a GU4 specifically but the GU8 was fairly straight forward.

paulyg
2nd October 2013, 05:25 PM
Got my harness from the local Autobarn, had heaps and can order just about anything you need,
Just unplugged old unit and plugged new one in.

liveyk7
4th October 2013, 11:14 AM
I installed a double DIN pioneer unit. I had to make my own harness. Was not hard, just time consuming. Most units have a standard now that you just hook up to pre made harness's. If you goggle the topic you will see dozens of options. Even repco and super cheap have a limited amount of conversion harness's. Cant talk about a GU4 specifically but the GU8 was fairly straight forward.

Yup been told by autobarn that's the case too a harness we'd make it easier. So Il opting for a cheapo pioneer. Damn I didn't realise they make ones with no cd!!.
Speakers may have to tighten on budget as a $99 suit became $399.. flat. .. so may not be able to afford the Fusions. . Will give it ago putting in the head unit first.
Thanks all for the input. If I pull this off it will be a first and a miracle!! Lol.
Oh and without breaking any plastic!

liveyk7
5th October 2013, 12:52 PM
Hey guys

Can someone confirm that this is the harness that works for the gu4 troll?

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Aerpro-Wiring-Harness-APP0120-to-suit-Nissan-1995-on/224825

paulyg
5th October 2013, 06:31 PM
Cant say if it will fit, but it is the same brand that I used and I just used what they recommended to fit my Vehicle and it fitted no problem.

liveyk7
5th October 2013, 09:24 PM
Cant say if it will fit, but it is the same brand that I used and I just used what they recommended to fit my Vehicle and it fitted no problem.

Cheers mate
Both that and the antenna adaptor and a pioneer head unit is in my possession now. Will have a go tomorrow to put it in.

Also bought a single din case to try and mount the uhf into the other slot. ;)

liveyk7
7th October 2013, 01:01 PM
And I broke the nissan harness. ;(.. managed to slowly put it together.
Is it possible to buy one of them? The bigger one .. The wires get loose so will need to replace it

paulyg
7th October 2013, 05:32 PM
If you now know which wire goes where you can solder or use crimped connectors instead.

liveyk7
8th October 2013, 12:01 AM
If you now know which wire goes where you can solder or use crimped connectors instead.

Yeah mate was thinking that..but i managed to tape it up a bit and hold the little wires in place and it works.
The pioneer harness had 2 more wires not going into the main iso connector. Not sure what they are for but everything seems to work ok.
Had to install when Mrs wasn't looking lol so had no time to test everything yet.

Sound already sound heaps better than the nissan unit tho! So happy about that!

paulyg
8th October 2013, 06:48 PM
Ok, sounds like its all good then.

liveyk7
9th October 2013, 05:23 PM
Ok, sounds like its all good then.

Hey mate

I've noticed that the power antenna is not working for radio.. would you know which wire that would be? I saw on the pioneer harness there was a separate wire labelled aerial but no clue as to where that should go.

my third 256
9th October 2013, 07:31 PM
is the other wire to go to reverse for camera
or maybe to gearbox so you cant play dvds when moving
i had mine disconected as the little one can watch on a boring drive
also can listen to music dvds with screen closed

paulyg
9th October 2013, 08:12 PM
I am not 100% shore but I think it was a blue wire.