PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator noise on UHF concern

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 08:43 AM
Yesterday whilst testing out my new UHF radio noticed that when you hear people come through the radio I can here a (I guess you can call it) buzzing noise. As I accelerate the buzzing gets louder and faster and if I lets go the accelerator it sort of stops, still not clear but quite soft slow buzzing.

I know when you install a normal car audio radio and it does this, some sort of noise suppressor is required. Is this the same with UHF or is it a bad earthing problem.

threedogs
28th September 2013, 09:01 AM
You may need to adjust your UHF settings rf gain etc

04OFF
28th September 2013, 09:10 AM
Where abouts have you got the UHF power and earth leads connected ?

rkinsey
28th September 2013, 09:57 AM
Gday MM,

This used to happen back in the good ole days when we installed new radios in our cars and there was a frequency filter we put on the power lead of the radio when the power was connected directly to the battery.

If I remember correctly, we used to connect power to the AUX power on the fuse board to reduce or eliminate this issue. But I'm no Auto electrician.

Cheers,

Rob

megatexture
28th September 2013, 11:29 AM
I've fitted quite a few uhf and never had any issues, didn't arb fit it for you? If so its there problem IMO. But I'd be checking how they have connected the power supply and check antenna both Behind the head unit and antenna end, even get a multimeter and check for continuity on the antenna plug to make sure they didn't fark up soldering the plug.

If they have just run a pos from the battery and earthed from in the cab try running an earth straight to the battery also

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 01:51 PM
You may need to adjust your UHF settings rf gain etc

That means I have to read the book, LOL

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 01:51 PM
Where abouts have you got the UHF power and earth leads connected ?

I'm really not sure, ARB fitted it up, and will have to check it out when the scrub bar and steps go in.

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 01:53 PM
I've fitted quite a few uhf and never had any issues, didn't arb fit it for you? If so its there problem IMO. But I'd be checking how they have connected the power supply and check antenna both Behind the head unit and antenna end, even get a multimeter and check for continuity on the antenna plug to make sure they didn't fark up soldering the plug.

If they have just run a pos from the battery and earthed from in the cab try running an earth straight to the battery also

I will be asking them to do this.

megatexture
28th September 2013, 01:54 PM
Can you turn on the radio with the car off ? If so its on your battery if you can't its on accessories .

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 01:56 PM
Can you turn on the radio with the car off ? If so its on your battery if you can't its on accessories .

It definitely on the battery, as I can turn it on with no keys.

megatexture
28th September 2013, 01:58 PM
Can you see the power lead from the unit ? I'd look if they have the earth in the cab or if its twin core running out the firewall

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 02:10 PM
Can you see the power lead from the unit ? I'd look if they have the earth in the cab or if its twin core running out the firewall

Ok found the wires running out the fire wall to the second battery but earth is to the body near the battery.

megatexture
28th September 2013, 02:16 PM
Is it long enough to take it off an put it on the batt? I imagine as long as its a clean and secure spot it should be ok there but I would try it on the battery as a process of elimination

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 02:18 PM
Is it long enough to take it off an put it on the batt? I imagine as long as its a clean and secure spot it should be ok there but I would try it on the battery as a process of elimination

I'll give it a try when I get back.

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 02:53 PM

Isn't long enough to reach the negative terminal.

megatexture
28th September 2013, 05:04 PM
Could be interference from your alternator, is it on the starter or aux?

MEGOMONSTER
28th September 2013, 05:35 PM
Could be interference from your alternator, is it on the starter or aux?

Aux battery.

trekster
28th September 2013, 07:41 PM
Sounds like alternator whine to me, Used to get this alot when you had amplifiers in your sound system and ran the power leads and rca cables next to each other. Possibly might need a power filter on it to stop it.

megatexture
28th September 2013, 10:00 PM
You might be on the money there trekster, I bet they run the power and antenna threw the same spot in the fire wall and mounted the antenna on the left zipping the cords together as they go lol, just relocate the antenna wire or power wires so they arnt together , shouldn't need a noise filter if its fitted correctly.

MEGOMONSTER
29th September 2013, 12:21 AM
You might be on the money there trekster, I bet they run the power and antenna threw the same spot in the fire wall and mounted the antenna on the left zipping the cords together as they go lol, just relocate the antenna wire or power wires so they arnt together , shouldn't need a noise filter if its fitted correctly.

You are absolutely correct, side by side out of the fire wall to the aerial.

megatexture
29th September 2013, 08:05 AM
Try and separate them as much as possible and see if it improves

Winnie
29th September 2013, 12:04 PM
Try and separate them as much as possible and see if it improves

Nah, it's ARBs problem, get them to sort it out for you Mick.

BigRAWesty
29th September 2013, 12:29 PM
Nah, it's ARBs problem, get them to sort it out for you Mick.

X2. They finish the job, if you touch it they Its all on you..

MEGOMONSTER
12th November 2013, 04:49 PM
Sorry I thought I answered the results from ARB.
It was found the unit was fitted beside the cars ECU, causing the problem.
Has now been moved to behind the glove box and now sounds like perfect with no interference.