PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ommiting Intro's from the Whats New tab

AB
27th September 2013, 09:04 AM
I think I found a way to omit the introductions from the Whats New tab.

A lot of people have complained about the whats new button bringing up all the intro posts from people wanting manuals, etc.

I'm happy to do this if we all want it but my only concern will be the lack of welcoming of new members as most of us will just go to the Whats New tab and forget to welcome new members.

Any thoughts on this?

I'll do poll at the top to find out what the majority want too, please vote above or discuss below.

AB
27th September 2013, 09:15 AM
Ok, yep I can omit the entire introductions forum from the whats new code if the majority want this to happen or not.

Bob
27th September 2013, 09:40 AM
Would be a pity if new members are not welcomed as I am sure that most Forum Members would not go to Introduction Thread

Sir Roofy
27th September 2013, 09:43 AM
would be a pity if new members are not welcomed as i am sure that most forum members would not go to introduction thread

bobs right on the mark there

AB
27th September 2013, 09:43 AM
Would be a pity if new members are not welcomed as I am sure that most Forum Members would not go to Introduction Thread

Yeah that's my only concern really Bob.

BigRAWesty
27th September 2013, 09:48 AM
I'd say see how it goes. If you see a huge drop in intros then you can always swap it back..

I like doing intros as I gets that post count up... Lol
Ow and promotes the business..

AB
27th September 2013, 09:49 AM
Actually....

What if I change the "NEW POSTS" link in the grey navbar to exclude the introductions forum.

So members can have the choice. If it really annoys you to see the introductions in the whats new section you can simply use the "NEW POSTS" button in the grey area.

I have just changed that code to omit the Testing Area and as you can see my TEST OMIT post is not in the latest posts results if you click on that link.

Maybe that's a win win for everyone.

Everyone will normally use the Whats New feature but if it really ships you to tears you are welcome to use the grey nav NEW POSTS button.

NissanGQ4.2
27th September 2013, 09:51 AM
bout time u listened 2 me!!!

Bob
27th September 2013, 09:51 AM
Got my Vote now

MEGOMONSTER
27th September 2013, 09:53 AM
From my experience when joining, I wasn't expecting much but was surprised and enjoyed the amount of welcomes I received. That why I now like welcoming every new member. Co you just never know who you gonna get.
Yes it can be annoying but just might get one to hang around like I did. Lol

AB
27th September 2013, 09:55 AM
I have just changed the grey button to omit intros for now. I know it frustrates a lot of members so I hope that eases the frustration for now.

Clunk
27th September 2013, 09:57 AM
Leave it there, doesn't bother me. On MC most of the time anyway, which does bother me!!!!! ;):D

TPC
27th September 2013, 10:03 AM
From my experience when joining, I wasn't expecting much but was surprised and enjoyed the amount of welcomes I received. That why I now like welcoming every new member. Co you just never know who you gonna get.
Yes it can be annoying but just might get one to hang around like I did. Lol

I did not get many replies in my intro, felt unloved......nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I will go and eat worms.

Cuppa
27th September 2013, 10:17 AM
Actually....

What if I change the "NEW POSTS" link in the grey navbar to exclude the introductions forum.

So members can have the choice. If it really annoys you to see the introductions in the whats new section you can simply use the "NEW POSTS" button in the grey area.

I have just changed that code to omit the Testing Area and as you can see my TEST OMIT post is not in the latest posts results if you click on that link.

Maybe that's a win win for everyone.

Everyone will normally use the Whats New feature but if it really ships you to tears you are welcome to use the grey nav NEW POSTS button.

I wouldn't mind that, but I don't have a grey NEW POSTS button. (smaller pic)
Running Safari 6.0.5.
(And the top bars are all still all jumbled using Safari on the iPad) (larger pic)

Cuppa

Winnie
27th September 2013, 10:47 AM
Don't have that button on my work PC either.

AB
27th September 2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah for some reason it only shows up when you are in the Whats New page...Ironic!!!

I will fix the link but for now if you click on Whats New you will see the new link there in the grey navbar.

rkinsey
27th September 2013, 10:51 AM
Running Safari 6.0.5.
(And the top bars are all still all jumbled using Safari on the iPad) (larger pic)

Cuppa

Cuppa,

Not sure which iPad you are using but the iPad, Ipad 2 and iPad mini only run a 1024 x 768 res (1024 up the side and 768 across the top with the iPad in the upright position) AB will be able to tell you what the forum code is set to (Has to do with the number of columns and their widths which can be set statically). Safari is probably trying to fit it all in.

http://www.iosres.com/ according to this website, the new iPad with the retina display runs a massive 2048 x 1536 res which will be able to fit everything on the page across all columns

Cheers,

Rob

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2013, 10:56 AM
Leave it in, helps me Moderate to be honest. I can clearly see the activity.

taslucas
27th September 2013, 11:04 AM

bobs right on the mark there

Yep I agree too

taslucas
27th September 2013, 11:06 AM
.....and I REALLY agree with this:

Leave it there, doesn't bother me. On MC most of the time anyway, which does bother me!!!!! ;):D

MEGOMONSTER
27th September 2013, 11:23 AM
I did not get many replies in my intro, felt unloved......nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I will go and eat worms.

We love you, just nobody will tell you.
By the way.
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Cuppa
27th September 2013, 11:37 AM
http://www.iosres.com/ according to this website, the new iPad with the retina display runs a massive 2048 x 1536 res which will be able to fit everything on the page across all columns

Cheers,

Rob

Hmmm, I have a retina iPad3. Is there any way of adjusting the resolution it is using? Changing it's orientation makes no difference to the jumbled buttons, & I can't find anywhere in the settings to change resolution.

rkinsey
27th September 2013, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, I have a retina iPad3. Is there any way of adjusting the resolution it is using? Changing it's orientation makes no difference to the jumbled buttons, & I can't find anywhere in the settings to change resolution.

Might just be Safari then... Not sure on the Forum column size or spacing settings. (AB will know)

I don't think you can adjust the res on an iPad other than Zoom in and out.

Cheers,

Rob

Cuppa
27th September 2013, 01:57 PM
Zooming makes no difference.
I'm waiting for AB to come on & tell me that I've asked about this before...... 'cos i know I have....... but I can't remember what he told me! :0

Cuppa

AB
27th September 2013, 02:13 PM
Let me have a play around tonight Cuppa. I only use the app on the Ipad not the actual website version so Ill take a look tonight.

Clunk
27th September 2013, 03:54 PM
Let me have a play around tonight Cuppa. I only use the app on the Ipad not the actual website version so Ill take a look tonight.

OHHHHH GAWWWWD, he's gonna break something.................. best find another forum to join tonight chaps!!!!! see you in a couple of day bwahahahahahaha

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2013, 04:00 PM
OHHHHH GAWWWWD, he's gonna break something.................. best find another forum to join tonight chaps!!!!! see you in a couple of day bwahahahahahaha

BHWWWWAAAAHAHABABABAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is funny as Fark!!!! Love it!

macca
27th September 2013, 06:52 PM
AB if the intros is accessible for those that welcome the new members that's great.
For me there is so many of them and I did stop posting in their threads as it fills up the what's new page and there was so much to read through often just cut and pastes. I felt bad about adding to that.
As I don't look at them now unless their title catches my attention I reckon not having them in what's new is a good idea, that is only me but thanks for letting us have a vote on it.
Cheers Macca

janderson
27th September 2013, 06:53 PM
Running Safari 6.0.5.

Cuppa

my pc always look like the pic on the right too

taslucas
27th September 2013, 07:52 PM
Nah i reckon leave them in the whats new section. Its been said before, and i totally agree, that the introduction thread sets us apart from so many other forums. I dont reply to all but i will say gday to new members often enough. I agree that if it was taken off the whats new section i wouldnt tend to reply much. I like seeing their surprise and happiness that so many people have taken the time to welcome them and that happiness sets the tone for their forum experience and manerisms.
If you jump on the forum regularly then the whats new section isnt all that big!

The responses in the introduction thread may include a lot of cut and paste but the new member doesnt necissarily know that and still appreciate them.

I would like to say that i have never cut and paste in the intro section. Yeah i know, im so awesome

Woof
27th September 2013, 08:29 PM
Nah i reckon leave them in the whats new section. Its been said before, and i totally agree, that the introduction thread sets us apart from so many other forums. I dont reply to all but i will say gday to new members often enough. I agree that if it was taken off the whats new section i wouldnt tend to reply much. I like seeing their surprise and happiness that so many people have taken the time to welcome them and that happiness sets the tone for their forum experience and manerisms.
If you jump on the forum regularly then the whats new section isnt all that big!

The responses in the introduction thread may include a lot of cut and paste but the new member doesnt necissarily know that and still appreciate them.

I would like to say that i have never cut and paste in the intro section. Yeah i know, im so awesome
I never thought that I would agree with you Lucas but you have summed it up well mate.............................................. ......not so sure about the awesome bit though...lmao

taslucas
27th September 2013, 08:42 PM
I never thought that I would agree with you Lucas but you have summed it up well mate.............................................. ......not so sure about the awesome bit though...lmao

maybe im not the guy you've pinned me down as!! Assumption is the mother of all f#$kups!! lmao

NissanGQ4.2
27th September 2013, 08:45 PM
If the manuals were put into a forum sponsorship only section I would have absolutely no issues with the intros been in the what's new section.

I have no issues with the what's new screen getting hit with welcomes from regular members catching up but I DO have issues with new members copying and pasting the same thing into 25 different intro threads a minute apart just so they can get access 2 the manual

Good idea AB just omitting them with the New posts button but that button does not appear when you in an actual thread like the what's new, can it be put on the grey bar area when your in a thread please?

AB
27th September 2013, 08:46 PM
my pc always look like the pic on the right too

Hey mate, if you see what Cuppa sees on a PC then that is your resolution setting on your pc thats the issue.

I like mine set at 1680 x 1050.

If you have a windows PC go to bottom left hand button click and select Control Panel......Then click on Display............Then click "Change Display Settings" and select the resolution.

Have a play around with the resolution anyway until you find something you like.

Cuppa....I just got home mate and I need to do some things but will suss out the Ipad.....its on charge at the moment....Flat!!!

taslucas
27th September 2013, 08:50 PM
If the manuals were put into a forum sponsorship only section I would have absolutely no issues with the intros been in the what's new section.

I have no issues with the what's new screen getting hit with welcomes from regular members catching up but I DO have issues with new members copying and pasting the same thing into 25 different intro threads a minute apart just so they can get access 2 the manual

Good idea AB just omitting them with the New posts button but that button does not appear when you in an actual thread like the what's new, can it be put on the grey bar area when your in a thread please?

peolpe keep mentioning "manual grabbers" filling up the introduction thread in a bad way but it is actually asked of them in ABs own intro post. Something along the lines of " simply welcome some other members and you'll have your post count up in no time".

NissanGQ4.2
27th September 2013, 08:50 PM
If you have a windows PC go to bottom left hand button click and select Control Panel......Then click on Display............Then click "Change Display Settings" and select the resolution.

Not sure if works on XP, Vista or any other Windows PC other than Win7 but Hold down the CTRL key while pressing the + or - button. It might not be a windows thing anyway it may be a browser thing ( I am using Google Chrome )

BigRAWesty
27th September 2013, 08:54 PM
Not sure if works on XP, Vista or any other Windows PC other than Win7 but Hold down the CTRL key while pressing the + or - button. It might not be a windows thing anyway it may be a browser thing ( I am using Google Chrome )

Yea didn't see anything different on vista

NissanGQ4.2
27th September 2013, 09:00 PM
peolpe keep mentioning "manual grabbers" filling up the introduction thread in a bad way but it is actually asked of them in ABs own intro post. Something along the lines of " simply welcome some other members and you'll have your post count up in no time".

Yep, I also don't agree with that but its Andy's call and I do not go banning new members for welcoming in new members so they can access the manuals.

But I will ban them if

They have not bothered to post up an intro themselves

They do copy and past a minute apart. That 2 me is not welcoming in a new member. My welcome's will be 99.9% percent identical but I actually read their post and call them by their name if they write one in there post.

NissanGQ4.2
27th September 2013, 09:02 PM
Yea didn't see anything different on vista

Just worked out that it is a browser thing, its like a magnifying glass.... CTRL + makes the screen bigger , CTRL - makes it smaller

NissanGQ4.2
27th September 2013, 09:04 PM
Yep, I also don't agree with that but its Andy's call and I do not go banning new members for welcoming in new members so they can access the manuals.

But I will ban them if

They have not bothered to post up an intro themselves

They do copy and past a minute apart. That 2 me is not welcoming in a new member. My welcome's will be 99.9% percent identical but I actually read their post and call them by their name if they write one in there post.

Edit: And unless you're a typist you won't be making posts a minute apart welcoming in new members

taslucas
27th September 2013, 09:06 PM
Just worked out that it is a browser thing, its like a magnifying glass.... CTRL + makes the screen bigger , CTRL - makes it smaller

yep, works on Firefox too

Clunk
27th September 2013, 09:42 PM
Edit: And unless you're a typist you won't be making posts a minute apart welcoming in new members

dont know what you're talking about mate....... not so long ago I used to be able to hijack threads at just over 30seconds apart!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

megatexture
27th September 2013, 09:54 PM
The sneaky bastards will do 25 intros and get the manuals lmao and no one will see !

AB
27th September 2013, 10:11 PM
Hey cuppa yeah I see the same thing as you when using safari on iPad.

Let me do some research on it mate.

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2013, 10:25 PM
Hey cuppa yeah I see the same thing as you when using safari on iPad.

Let me do some research on it mate.

Hey AB, are you playing with stuff mate? The countdown is down and I have a Add across the top of the page??

taslucas
27th September 2013, 10:36 PM
Hey AB, are you playing with stuff mate? The countdown is down and I have a Add across the top of the page??

All normal here. Countdown still going and no ad

NissanGQ4.2
27th September 2013, 10:42 PM
The sneaky bastards will do 25 intros and get the manuals lmao and no one will see !

I will 2 see, I have eyes in the back of my head *L*

megatexture
27th September 2013, 10:43 PM
x2 with add and timer but my safari is like cuppa's also and 9/10 im on it pad.

Clunk
27th September 2013, 10:47 PM

is it time to switch forums nows???

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2013, 11:20 PM
is it time to switch forums nows???

Its Bloody Your fault Clunk!!!! You encouraged him!!

Clunk
27th September 2013, 11:53 PM
:blowup: hahahahahahahahahaha

AB
28th September 2013, 07:59 AM
I didn't do anything, is everything ok????

megatexture
28th September 2013, 08:06 AM
Seems fine here unless you have covered your tracks lol

macca
28th September 2013, 03:00 PM
Mmmmm while having some lunch I noticed the "yes" voters are the more prolific posters.

With a little research it is about 3.5 times more than the "no".

A Julius Sumner Millar question, why is it so?

Clunk
28th September 2013, 03:08 PM
Mmmmm while having some lunch I noticed the "yes" voters are the more prolific posters.

With a little research it is about 3.5 times more than the "no".

A Julius Sumner Millar question, why is it so?

apart from me, I voted no

taslucas
28th September 2013, 03:25 PM

I also voted no

NissanGQ4.2
28th September 2013, 03:32 PM
I VOTED A BIG YES!!!!!!

Not that it really matter is they are omitted from the new post link and even though it doesn't show the new post tab when reading threads I have already made my work around which works brilliantly

And just because I won't see them pop up in new posts doesn't mean I'm going to be less likely 2 welcome in new members.

taslucas
28th September 2013, 03:37 PM
ahhhhh i only voted a normal no, how do i vote a BIG NO lol

NissanGQ4.2
28th September 2013, 04:28 PM
ahhhhh i only voted a normal no, how do i vote a BIG NO lol

You become a moderator and edit the boss's poll *L*

taslucas
28th September 2013, 04:32 PM
You become a moderator and edit the boss's poll *L*

LOL, so whats that gonna cost me? You know, nudge nudge, wink wink

macca
29th September 2013, 07:03 AM

Sorry Clunk and Taslucas, I should have said collectively, it was just an observation.

BigRAWesty
29th September 2013, 08:44 AM
I'm to vote. Was going with no, but mostly On mc and doesnt seem to change..

megatexture
29th September 2013, 08:49 AM
I voted a few days ago so I thought .. Must have hit the back button or something:icon_bonk::icon_bonk::icon_bonk:

AB
29th September 2013, 09:10 AM
Well so far the majority want the intro's to stay in the Whats New tab.

But, I have made the small link for others to check the latest posts without the Intros if they want to use it.

makeitfit
29th September 2013, 09:51 AM
Just picked up on this thread and have voted now.
I was very happy to have had such a good welcome when I joined. Since joining I always use the what's new tab and have welcomed some in particular ones in the northern half of the globe ;)
I'm most defo guilty of not looking in the newbies section at all, sorry.
Consequently I feel it should stay in, frustrating as it must be for some, just scroll past them if it's a bother eh.
Chill guys, Cheers Pete ;)

Woof
29th September 2013, 07:32 PM
I do not welcome new members, well rarely anyway.
I would welcome everyone of them if I was sure that they were not just here for the manuals..........and if I had time

To all of our new members in the last 12 months, I welcome you all to the best forum on the internet thingy.................but not the grabbers

NissanGQ4.2
29th September 2013, 07:46 PM
Well so far the majority want the intro's to stay in the Whats New tab.

But, I have made the small link for others to check the latest posts without the Intros if they want to use it.

Is the small link your refering 2 the "new post" button that doesn't display while you're in a thread which makes it pretty pointless?????

If thats the case I have a work around for it anyway :) so need need 2 change it

Thanks Boss *L*