PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Patrol 3.0 Di - radio problems

Beucam
25th September 2013, 10:27 AM
Hi,

The radio / speakers are playing up. Sometimes only the left back works, then while standing, all of a sudden the rest come on. I have looked at the speakers, No loose connections. I have opened up the side panel on front left passenger side, lots of junction boxes - no loose connections.

Anybody experienced this before, or is it time to upgrade the radio (still original).

Beucam

threedogs
25th September 2013, 11:00 AM
more than likely a bad earth in the system.
If you have the funds lots affordable Double din units out there

SupRob
25th September 2013, 03:21 PM
Have you checked behind the headunit itself?

You could find some has replaced it and kept the old headunit to be put back in when he was done with the car.

Rob,

Beucam
27th September 2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks Rob, will check it out this weekend.

Waza
13th October 2013, 10:21 PM
I have exactly the same problem & will replace the unit with multifunction widget when I get the $$$

oncedisturbed
13th October 2013, 10:37 PM
Generally it will be a bad earth or speaker wires shorting out. The unit may have internal issues instead. Check wiring first then it should be able to give you a better idea but if nothing is standing out, more than likely it will be your head unit and as TD mentioned, heaps of aftermarket units out there

oddkid82
14th October 2013, 12:10 PM
The stock speakers are no good, my two left hand side ones did the same, check all the wiring and was fine. I ended up replacing them with alpine speakers. All works now. I have read that there is a problem with the magnets on the stick speakers
It is a common thing.

Bush Ranger
14th October 2013, 04:25 PM
Apparently it`s a common problem. My two front speakers only work when they want to and I can`t pick up any AM stations. I wont be mucking around trying to rectify the speaker / radio problems and just replace the whole lot with some thing else.

RedDragon
23rd October 2013, 01:07 PM
Good to read others with the same issues, I've got that too, right speaker is dead all together, i just thought it was the mrs smashing out some tunes. Replacement deck comming in a week and then will look at a round of speakers for the whole car.

Beucam
7th May 2014, 07:05 AM
Good to read others with the same issues, I've got that too, right speaker is dead all together, i just thought it was the mrs smashing out some tunes. Replacement deck comming in a week and then will look at a round of speakers for the whole car.

Hey RedDragon,
i know this was a long time back, but have you fitted your new deck and how did it go.