PDA

View Full Version : Catch can install instructions for GU TD42t

patrolla
25th September 2013, 10:26 AM
Ok so heres my first post on the forum (apart from my intro post).

So i currently have a factory setup but with a 3" exhaust and bit more boost and fuel.

Looking to upgrade turbo, airbox and install an intercooler as well. However, i want to install a catch can both now and also after the above upgrades.

I understand that the catch can has an inlet, outlet and oil return. Obviously the blow by hose goes to the inlet on the catch can and on the current setup (factory intake piping) a hose would go from the catch can outlet back to the port on the factory intake pipe to return gasses etc

Two questions:
1. Where does the oil return line from the catch can get installed in order to return the collected oil back into the engine? Is there an easy location already or do i have to make some modification to tap in somewhere? Its a series 1 TD42t.
2. Once i change the intake piping from the airbox to the turbo (after turbo upgrade) where does the outlet return hose get located to return the filtered gasses/air back to the intake system?

Cheers

Sir Roofy
25th September 2013, 11:38 AM
mate why would you want to put dirty oil back in the motor
I just drain the catch can into a bottle im running a 3l though

patrolla
25th September 2013, 01:18 PM
After doing a bit of reading i thought this was what you were supposed to do but perhaps not?? Assuming that the volume captured is not significant then this wouldnt be an issue i spose.

Sir Roofy
25th September 2013, 02:04 PM
after doing a bit of reading i thought this was what you were supposed to do but perhaps not?? Assuming that the volume captured is not significant then this wouldnt be an issue i spose.

some do some dont like you said the volume isnt great just as easy to drop it in a bottle
over the last 12months ive collected 600ml out of my 3l not realy worth the expence of pluming into your
sump

ben 4.2td
25th September 2013, 07:39 PM
I spoke to a turbo diesel mechanic today,after reading a few posts about catch cans, said that 4.2 td intercooled don't usually need catch cans he checked mine said very dry, 4.2 motors are a little diferent to 3 litre turbos.