PDA

View Full Version : Series 4 GU Auto Hubs

ptcb
25th September 2013, 10:14 AM
Hello All,
Was just wondering if you can help me out. My front right wheel bearing is loose.
No problem ill just tighten it but what is the correct way to take off and put back on the auto hub?
Is there anything I need to know? Regards. Phil.

threedogs
25th September 2013, 10:18 AM
You'll need to put them in the lock position from what I know.
Mark which way they came out so they go back on in the same position

mudski
25th September 2013, 01:52 PM
You'll need to put them in the lock position from what I know.
Mark which way they came out so they go back on in the same position

Yeah? Never knew that and I have taken my hubs on and off too many times I can remember.

TimE
25th September 2013, 01:55 PM
Mine came off an went back on easily both locked and unlocked (on a GU IV), now replaced with AVM HPs

june
26th September 2013, 10:56 AM
my GU111 workshop manual states [lock hubs in to remove]

ptcb
26th September 2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks Guys for the info, now lets tighten those bearings!!

Col.T
26th September 2013, 06:46 PM
G'day Phil,
Just an aside.
You've downloaded the manual I assume? It's got the complete assembly shown together with all the torques needed in reassembly.
Only tricky bit is loading/unloading the torque on the bearings without an appropriate tool. Could do a search on 'FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS' and you'll get loads of info I'm sure.
Luck
Col

mudski
26th September 2013, 11:56 PM
my GU111 workshop manual states [lock hubs in to remove]
Interesting. I can't see how it would make a difference doing it either way. Its only a female spline that has to mesh with a male spline held in by 6 bolts. Or is it 8? :) Its not like you have to time gears or anything. Got me curious as to why now.

june
27th September 2013, 12:38 PM
i thought the same mudski, the only thing I can think of to why is there is 2 tabs on auto hubs which have to line up with spline. however I just do it like the manual says.

mudski
27th September 2013, 10:44 PM
i thought the same mudski, the only thing I can think of to why is there is 2 tabs on auto hubs which have to line up with spline. however I just do it like the manual says.
Jeez I never even noticed that either. I just unbolt and bolt back up without even looking obviously...:icon_bonk:

june
28th September 2013, 08:08 AM
if you don't line up the tabs the auto hub will not sit flush on the machine surface. hence the bolts will not do up.

mudski
28th September 2013, 02:17 PM
Lol. Well there you go. I must have been lucky every time then. Lol.