PDA

View Full Version : GQ Seat upgrade

cnpatsy
24th September 2013, 08:07 PM
In need of new seats in GQ sence i snapped a mount out bush the week.
Was looking into doing an upgrade to either some ford seats or some holden seats for abit more comfort. Whats peoples thoughts? And what have people done?

BigRAWesty
24th September 2013, 08:11 PM
Ow bugga. Unfortunately most people use the mounts and Ford bases.
So you might need to grab a set of seat runners.

Out of curiosities.. Where did it brake?

92GQ
24th September 2013, 08:12 PM
I've measured some Ford Territory seats, seem like a good fit, hope to give it a go in the near future.

cnpatsy
24th September 2013, 08:14 PM
it split throw the mount spacer up against the drivers door where it bolts to the seat up the top

cnpatsy
24th September 2013, 08:16 PM
what year ford seats? out of curiosity and what do u mean by the base of the ford seats?

AB
24th September 2013, 08:20 PM
Interesting to find out how you snapped the mount?

Yeah you should use the Nissan runners so everything lines up properly, safer and semi legal if you are going to put different seats in. Some commodore seats line up the bolt holes perfect for the runners so no modification needed at all but have a read below of my DIY on it.

Seems there are a few different hole patterns from Holden if you head down that path. Other people have done the Monzas or even XR6 seats which dont rub against the pillar restricting the seat belt retraction, etc. I love my VZ seats and they are very comfy but does restrict the seat belt retraction. It doesnt bother as I just throw the seat belt back into the seat when getting out of the car.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14473-DIY-Commodore-seats-in-GQ-VZ&highlight=commodore+seats

cnpatsy
24th September 2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks ab im abit of a big boy and hit a pretty decent rut and the foam in the seat base is stuffed so your not sitting square

growler2058
24th September 2013, 08:27 PM
I used VX seats out of a commy ute and they bolted straight up to the Nissan rails. Havent heard of fraud seats being used though. My original Nissan seats snapped the leg at the base of the seat

AB
24th September 2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks ab im abit of a big boy and hit a pretty decent rut and the foam in the seat base is stuffed so your not sitting square

I'm 6'3" with giraffe legs and the commo seats are far better than nissan.

Bloodyaussie
24th September 2013, 09:12 PM
I to did the commodore conversion and it is a great improvement over stock but some are saying the XR6 seats are even better??? have not seen one fitted yet myself.

Winnie
24th September 2013, 09:13 PM
I have been for a 1 minute ride in Jonathan s commy seats and they are very nice!

cnpatsy
25th September 2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys.
Ab you were saying that the commodore seat hits the b pillar is there much room next to the center console to move it over?

AB
26th September 2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys.
Ab you were saying that the commodore seat hits the b pillar is there much room next to the center console to move it over?

Yes mate, you can move it over a bit more. If I was to do it again you could offset all 4 holes with a wider plate and move it over more.

It doesn't hit the B pillar but just and I mean just sits close to it enough for the seat belt to restrict it.

AB
26th September 2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys.

If you remind me tonight I will double check how much more you could move over.

Bloodyaussie
26th September 2013, 08:25 AM
I love this... I've become like Mego...

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/photo_zpsbd8298ea.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/jpgpz/media/photo_zpsbd8298ea.jpg.html)

MEGOMONSTER
26th September 2013, 08:33 AM
If you remind me tonight I will double check how much more you could move over.

Not quite the same is it.

Bloodyaussie
26th September 2013, 09:07 AM
Not quite the same is it.

Yeah mine is shit loads better!!!!!!!!

Winnie
26th September 2013, 09:17 AM
Yeah mine is shit loads better!!!!!!!!

I've sat in both and sorry Johnny boy............ yeah nah.

Bloodyaussie
26th September 2013, 09:21 AM
Yeah but I did mine myself....... with hard work and sweat.

Winnie
26th September 2013, 09:34 AM
And for that I give you a participation award

Pezzer
26th September 2013, 02:17 PM
Super comfy bases and locked when off road.

AB
26th September 2013, 06:54 PM
I have about 20mm gap to the centre console. You could squeeze 30mm if squashed seat a whisker.

So if you wanted to offset all 4 bolts by around 30mm because mine is already off set 10mm then you will have ample room on pillar for seat belt retraction.

As below mine not touching but just enough to stop free retraction.

Winnie
26th September 2013, 07:16 PM
I put commodore seats in my old one, they bolted straight to the rails, but they were squashed against the pillar and the seat position was crap and seat belts did not have a Hope of retracting so I took them out

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

AB
26th September 2013, 07:20 PM
I put commodore seats in my old one, they bolted straight to the rails, but they were squashed against the pillar and the seat position was crap and seat belts did not have a Hope of retracting so I took them out

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Yeah I think both sides in offsetting is the key.

cnpatsy
26th September 2013, 09:00 PM
Thank you very much AB i will be indeed looking at spacing it over to the console to give space at the pillar
And thanks everyone for the ideas

AB
26th September 2013, 09:20 PM
Thank you very much AB i will be indeed looking at spacing it over to the console to give space at the pillar
And thanks everyone for the ideas

No probs mate, I might do that mod to my seats now too I think...lol

bubsy
27th September 2013, 08:39 AM
My seat drivers has collapsed on the edge and not sure what i can do it does only seem to be the support in the seat not a bracket ?